Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 and H20 HDMI stopped working, plasma fine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trdr_vix

trdr_vix

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:14 AM

The HDMI stopped working between my HR21 and my panny plasma a few days ago. I tried a complete plasma reset and complete hard reboot on the HR21. I then confirmed the panny output and the cable was ok by connecting to a BD player and it shook hands and connected up fine. I then moved and tried to connect to a H20 that I use with a set in another room on component only, it would not also connect on HDMI with the panny.

Has there been some software/firmware loaded up over the last week or so that could have bungled up the HR21 and H20 HDMI's? I now see this new banner system on the guide/info, and it is not unlike Directv to "improved" our operating system and mess up something else...any ideas would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trdr_vix

trdr_vix

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

Sorry, I figured I needed to add the info that the HR21 and H20 are both working fine on component.

#3 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have an HR20 connected to a Panny projector and haven't noticed any HDMI events as of recent. I assume you're using the same HDMI cable for your tests that you used to connect the receiver to your Panny? In the past, I had one incident which required a hard boot (complete receiver power removal and re-apply) to fix a spontaneous HDMI handshake problem. The Red button didn't fix that one though it's never reoccurred. Short of that, it could be an HDMI port failure on your receiver, but since both receivers show the same problem, that's very unlikely. Do you have another HDMI display, that you can test your receiver with? You need to isolate the problem to a receiver or display problem before you can proceed, and although your Panny works with a player, it might still be the issue in this problem.
Oh, one other possibility. I discovered quite by accident that if the HDMI supply voltage (fed from a source device to power downstream devices like boosters) disappears, my Panny will not handshake. I've had problems with two D* receivers in this regard (flaky HDMI power), which I fixed by using a voltage inserter in the HDMI line. The inserter completely removes the source device power and puts its own 5 Volts on the HDMI line. It plugs into your receiver HDMI port, and then your HDMI cable plugs in its other side, and you plug its small power supply in the wall. They are available from Parts Express (Cables to go Voltage Inserter). You might try that as a last resort.
Good Luck.

#4 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

I have an HR20 that has a dead-ish HDMI port. Been dead for about 2 years now. It'll show the boot up screens, but once it gets passed a certain point it puts out a bad signal. Tried it on plasma, projector, lcd. Same issue with all of them. None of my other 5 boxes do that so it's something to that box. DirecTv sent me a new one and let me continue to use the box as a component-only box.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Did you double check what format you were sending out from the receivers? I believe that the DirecTV receivers can send out 480i over HDMI and many TVs will not accept that format (a lot require at least 480p over HDMI).

Did you try a different HDMI cable and input on the TV?

If you double check all of these and still have issues then it sounds like you need to call DirecTV and have your receivers replaced. If they try to tell you to just use component tell them your TVs are 3D, or don't have any open component inputs.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   trdr_vix

trdr_vix

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply's. It's just weird that the HD-DVR all of a sudden will not shake hands with the plasma when it has been working fine for over a year, especially since I have confirmed that the cable and the HDMI input on the plasma work fine when I tried them with a BD player. I never had used the HDMI port on my non-DVR HD receiever so I don't know if that ever did work. I plan to take one of the receivers over to friends and see if it connects and shakes hands to her HDMI port on her display. If it does then I know that receiver has a good HDMI port.....that will really drive me crazy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...