Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 now common for replacements

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aleicgrant

aleicgrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

I have an early HR21 and its seen better days. Is DTV primarily using the HR24 for warranty replacements or is it still a lottery of new and old equipment?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

Unfortunately it's still a hit or miss system. I'd ask local installers before DTV about what receivers you could get though.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

I had to have DirectTv replace both a HR21-700 and HR20-100 within 3 days of each other about 2 months ago due to HD failures. They replaced both with "refurbs" of the same ones I sent back......:mad:

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

While Is suspect the pool of older receivers is getting smaller and the pool of newer receivers is getting bigger, there still seem to be a significant number of older receivers that make their way back into the system. So as noted, it's hit or miss as to what you'll get.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   b2bowers

b2bowers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

Which means the odds are you'll get a receiver which most likely still has a problem. I worked in the technical repair business for a lot of years. We'd get electronic equipment in for repair and because "most" of the problems were intermittent, we couldn't find anything wrong, so the equipment would be buttoned back up and put back on the shelf as a re-furbished unit. Keep in mind there's not much to refurbish in these units except the hard drive if it's a DVR unit.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

My HR22-100 bit the dust last week. Replacement receiver was another HR22-100.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   kbxm

kbxm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

I just replaced an old SD-DVR40 on Saturday and got an HR24. Nice upgrade ;-)

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

I would think if you asked them to send a tech to replace your receiver you may increase your chances of getting a HR24, but it still wouldn't be guaranteed. You also may end up having to pay $50 for the tech visit instead of $20 for shipping of the replacement receiver.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

My four year old (slower than molasses boat anchor POS) HR20-700 lost its internal hard drive after two years and I had installed an external HD to keep it going until they had better HD-DVRs. It finally died recently and I had hoped to get an HR24. What did they replace it with? A scratched to hell, reeking of cigarette smoke (we don't smoke) HR20-100 that didn't even have the capabilities of the boat anchor I had since 8/2006.

Don't get your hopes up. Apparently, DirecTV feels that you should be extremely happy with someone else's refuse, and that five year old technology is acceptable to long-term customers while their precious NEW SUBSCRIBERS get all of the new toys. I have been with DirecTV since 1995 (back when you made separate payments to DirecTV and USSB). I have subscribed to EVERYTHING (plus NFL-Sunday Ticket for 16 years) all of these years and this is what I get?

I am hoping for someone else to get NFL-ST so that I can jump ship!
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

My four year old (slower than molasses boat anchor POS) HR20-700 lost its internal hard drive after two years and I had installed an external HD to keep it going until they had better HD-DVRs. It finally died recently and I had hoped to get an HR24. What did they replace it with? A scratched to hell, reeking of cigarette smoke (we don't smoke) HR20-100 that didn't even have the capabilities of the boat anchor I had since 8/2006.

Don't get your hopes up. Apparently, DirecTV feels that you should be extremely happy with someone else's refuse, and that five year old technology is acceptable to long-term customers while their precious NEW SUBSCRIBERS get all of the new toys. I have been with DirecTV since 1995 (back when you made separate payments to DirecTV and USSB). I have subscribed to EVERYTHING (plus NFL-Sunday Ticket for 16 years) all of these years and this is what I get?

I am hoping for someone else to get NFL-ST so that I can jump ship!

Sorry they disappointed you for replacing a HR20 with another HR20 which had the EXACT same features as the one that died. Sorry that through some missguided sense of entitlement that you did not get the latest and greatest. Paying a bill each month for services rendered is not being loyal. Also, new customers do not always get the latest and greatest all the time either. :crying_sa
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

Sorry they disappointed you for replacing a HR20 with another HR20 which had the EXACT same features as the one that died.

I know people that would have killed for that to happen to them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Sorry they disappointed you for replacing a HR20 with another HR20 which had the EXACT same features as the one that died. Sorry that through some missguided sense of entitlement that you did not get the latest and greatest. Paying a bill each month for services rendered is not being loyal. Also, new customers do not always get the latest and greatest all the time either. :crying_sa

Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make a jackass response!

(1) The HR20-100 does **NOT** have the same features as the HR20-700! In fact, they had to send me a different remote control and antenna -- at their expense -- just to get the RF-remote capability that I had with the -700!

(2) New customers DO get the newer receivers. In fact, I have had several family members and friends whom have been D* subs (not half as long as me though) who had to ultimately cancel their existing sub and sign up through Best Buy and each of them got a better monthly deal and an HR24.

(2) I have spent some $30,000 - $35,000 with DirecTV since I signed up with them. I do not consider that "misguided entitlement!" Because of their monopoly with Sunday Ticket I have stayed with them. But I also expect to be treated equally as someone whom has not spent a dime with them!

Expecting them NOT to send me five year old technology while many new subs get the latest and greatest is NOT "misguided entitlement."
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

1) Oh wow, an external RF antenna. :rolleyes: Still the same as you had.

2) New customers are NOT guarenteed H®24s. Period. With the number of boxes I deal with on a weekly basis, I know FAR more on how the system works than you do.

3) Good for you. You pay them for a service. They provide you a service. Somehow you seem to think that means they kiss you ass? Please. :nono:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

external ant worked better for rf than the internal ones on -700 iirc.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#15 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

And to stick it to NFLnut even more, Directv's NFLST deal with the league remains an exclusive for at least another 4 seasons. Life sucks, doesn't it? :lol:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#16 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

They provide you a service. Somehow you seem to think that means they kiss you ass? Please. :nono:

It sure seems like the rules of being civil to each other have become relaxed around here. This is the second thread I've come across where folks seem free to say whatever they want and insult other users....

Loyalty is a two way street. He pays his bills on time and has been around for many years. While I don't think he should have his ass kissed, he certainly should be treated as a "valuable" customer. I box that wreaks of cigarette smoke would not even be allowed to be connected to my TV. My components are in pristine condition. If I were sent a box that even had a few scratches, it would be on its way back to DirecTV. Hassling this guy because he complains about this is certainly uncalled for.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Wow - it is cold in here.

Hopefully someday DirecTV will get rid of their "We don't have any control" process but I'm not holding my breath.

DirecTV is in this to make money and sad truth is they can get away with it so they do.

If I get a vote I'd say ease up on the personal head bashing!

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

If I get a vote I'd say ease up on the personal head bashing!

This is a good plan .. I say we all implement it. :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall