Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

International Cricket 2012-13

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

watching hong kong sixes on willow cricket channel. there is a continuous disturbance in picture. Are you experiencing the same?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Is anyone broadcasting ACC women asia cup cricket?

#343 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

NEW: Twenty20 World Champion West Indies signs a new global broadcast deal with TEN Cricket for the period January 1, 2013-December 31, 2020. TEN Cricket previous 4-year deal signed in 2008 was about to expire. New deal includes 253 days of cricket. Also providing television production for Caribbean free-to-air viewers.http://windiescricke...ion-deal-taj-tv

#344 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Is anyone watching the South Africa - Australia test on Willow TV channel tonight on DISH or DirecTV?

How's it looking? Have they reverted to raw feed from Australia, or are they relaying a rebroadcast from India, with dozens of ads scrawling all over the screen, as they did the last two years.

I'm not going to sign up with them if its the latter!

#345 OFFLINE   gireeshbhat

gireeshbhat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I am currently watching it on Willow TV channel on DISH. It is the raw feed from Australia but Willow is injecting the same Xoom, Metlife, WellsFargo etc ads (cutting it too close sometimes and showing deliveries just in the nick of time) but none of them are the crawlers or screen size changers. It is much better than the Star Sports feed but still not the glory days of uninterrupted coverage when it was on PPV via Directv.

#346 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

The good news is Bangladesh Cricket will return on ESPN3!

#347 OFFLINE   sadam1

sadam1

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

dear admin south africa vs aus series also live on ptv sport

#348 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Two series or tournaments that are not yet planned to be shown in USA are
- England tour of New Zealand
- Bangladesh premium league

#349 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

dear admin south africa vs aus series also live on ptv sport

PTV Sports showing it? I wonder why they grey out the Star logo. :lol:

#350 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Is PTV sports available in USA?

#351 OFFLINE   sadam1

sadam1

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

dear admin why you are not mention which chanel will broadcast series in pakistan

#352 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

I am currently watching it on Willow TV channel on DISH. It is the raw feed from Australia but Willow is injecting the same Xoom, Metlife, WellsFargo etc ads (cutting it too close sometimes and showing deliveries just in the nick of time) but none of them are the crawlers or screen size changers. It is much better than the Star Sports feed but still not the glory days of uninterrupted coverage when it was on PPV via Directv.

Thanks for this info - despite much trepidation, I reactivated my online subscription with Willow in time for the third day of the Aus-SA test, and found much the same as you saw on the TV channel on DISH.

I agree and mourn the glory days of uninterupted raw feeds on PPV on DirecTV - but agree this was very good. I'm not sure it was truly raw feed from Australia, as I saw the Star Cricket logo a couple of times at lunch and tea breaks, and an ad for Spanish soccer on ESPN/Star when a wicket fell once. But those were the only encroachments - and so yes, the picture was clean, clear and enjoyable to watch, uninterrupted except for Wllow's own commercials between most (but not all) overs. So, much better than a couple of years ago - no Star commercials, screen crawlers, logoes in the middle of the screen, picture shrinking, or the dreaded white box with red numbers in it.

Same can be said for the India-England test match that started tonight.

As others have asked, and no-one has written a summary, I'll post details of the streaming watching experience in the next post.

#353 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

A few have asked, and presumably others are interested - either because they don't have access to DISH or DirecTV, or don't have access (or dont want) the large "international" dish that DirecTV still uses solely for ~ 50 multicultural channels, including Willow; or do have access are but are worried about overlap now Willow holds rights to so many events in so many countries that play in the Oct-April timeframe.

So, here's how it went during the last 3 days of the Aus-SAfr test.

Subscribe at willow.tv to the monthly package. Follow their instructions to link your youtube account to your willow.tv login. If you have a google login, this will work for streaming on a computer with fully-fledged web browser. If you're hoping to using a youtube app on another device, you need to login to youtube and also create a "username" which is not your google login.

Viewing options - I have a Sony 40" HDTV with internet capability including a youtube app; a DirecTV HR23 also on the internet and with DirecTV youtube app; laptop computer and iPod touch. Unfortunately, I still have DSL internet at 2 Mbs - hopefully to change soon!

#1 choice would have been to watch via the DirecTV receiver, as this also sends its picture to other TVs in my house. However, the DirecTV youtube app doesn't give you the option to log in to your youtube account, so no way to access the live feed; although an endless array of highlights and replay videos are freely available. Fail.

#2 choice would be to watch on the TV using the built-in youtube app on the Sony. This app lets you log in to your youtube account - but despite having a "subscription" to willow listed in my youtube account, I could not find the live video feed. Again, an endless array of highlights and replay videos are freely available (whether logged in or not). Fail.

#3 choice is the ipod touch. I got the Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad 30-pin dock connector to HDMI/30-pin connector. Connect a HDMI cable directly to the TV, and your regular ipod/iPad charger cable into the other dock connector slot so your device doesn't drain its power while playing the video. If the video is already playing on the device, then you connect it to the TV, bringing the picture up on the TV was almost seamless.

On the iPod - three options for watching:
i) YouTube app. This fared the same as the Sony Youtube app - could log in, but couldn't find live feed, only highlights. So - fail.

ii) Use safari browser on iPod and go to m.youtube.com - log in to your youtube account, then go to m.youtube.com/willow. From here, the live feed could be easily accessed. Importantly, when Indian domestic games were also being played, the option to choose live feed from the other game was available.

This option also gave the best picture quality. Despite the limited resolution of the iPod, the website appeared to be streaming video in 720p. My TV recognizes it as such. Its certainly much clearer than a SD TV channel on DirecTV or even over the air. While you can tell up close the picture is being streamed, from 10-12 feet away on my sofa, it was near impossible to tell the picture was not from a HD satellite TV feed. Maybe slightly less contrast/brightness in colors on the screen, but otherwise very high picture quality. Presumably, this looks better than the Willow TV channel on DISH/DirecTV, if that is still only in SD. Perhaps this is a way to watch test matches and other non-ICC events in "almost" HD!

Only problem here related to the reliability of the stream. After a while, buffering became an issue. I don't know if this is related to my crappy DSL, or external factors. For the first hour or so each night, it was fine, but as the evening wore on and presumably more people logged in to watch (esp as it became primetime in timezones other the the east coast) the buffering issue got worse. However, tonight, the India-England game has come in completly uninterrupted now for over an hour even with my slow DSL connection (maybe more Indian fans have the TV option available rather than having to rely on streaming??)

iii) When buffering became too much of an issue, I switched to m.willow.tv, and logged in there with my willow.tv login. The streaming for iOS/android devices specifically is still done by Willow themselves. This stream is optimized for the small devices, and I could watch it here for hours without a streaming/buffering interruption. Picture looked fine on the iPod, but it was noticeably degraded when injected onto the Sony TV screen. Still, when the buffering delays got bad enough at m.youtube.com, this was a preferable alternative.

#4 choice (least desirable) was hooking the computer up to the TV. I did this before all the #3 options as I didn't have the iPod/HDMI connector the first night.

In the case of my MacBook Pro, this gave the usual endless problems of mirroring the display to the TV, getting it to use the full TV resolution rather than the lower laptop screen-size, getting the youtube info off the screen (even when in "full-screen" mode), and finally dealing with endless buffering issues that made the game unwatchable. Not sure if this is due to much greater overhead in my laptop browser - and laptop in general - compared to the iPod, or greater demand on the www.youtube.com site (rather than m.youtube.com), or some other reason. The option existed to choose a 720p or 480p feed - choosing the lower resolution made no difference in the buffering problem.

---

So - iPod/iPhone with a HDMI converter, and accessing the live feed from m.youtube.com/willow, worked best - and at its best, possibly better than the Willow TV channel if this is still in SD only on DISH/DirecTV. Very clear and crisp picture that could pass for HD. Some buffering issues at times, but not sure if this is the fault of my DSL internet, or external factor.

You could presumably try variants of this with an iPad too, although its preference to use full website rather than mobile versions means results may differ. Laptop experience indicates max resolution from youtube is currently 720p, so I don't think the higher resolution of the iPad will help.

If we could access this live feed from a youtube app on the TV or other TV-connected device (DVR, DVD player, game console), this would be a very good solution.

Of course, all the above comes without the usual DVR-style features of TV watching today (easy reliable pause and rewind, record to watch later, record when you're not in the house, etc - although Willow's array of highlight reels and replays makes up for some of this)

So - some kudos to Willow for finding a way to make this an enjoyable, high-quality picture and watching experience.

Of course - you experience may vary!

Good luck!

#354 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

For the first SA vs Aus test, the willow cricket channel picture was like HD type, but for the second test, it is different and not as good as the first test
did you notice this?

#355 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I just saw neo cricket is advertising WI vs Ban series. Are they showing in USA? I did not check yesterday. I can check today

#356 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

SatExplorer,
Neo cricket indeed is showing WI-Ban tests live. So please update

#357 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

For the first SA vs Aus test, the willow cricket channel picture was like HD type, but for the second test, it is different and not as good as the first test
did you notice this?

Yes - this is a big step down.

Its SD format, relayed broadcast from Star India. There has been screen-shrinking adverts 3 or 4 times while play is in progress, Star adverts after every over that Willow hurries to cover up with its own ads, and my favorite, the white box with red numbers/letters in it appearing frequently on screen during play. So I guess we're streaming from someone's cable box in Mumbai or Bangalore!

Not *as* bad as two years ago - with ads crawls or logoes covering much of the screen - when Willow started relaying Star India broadcasts. But a big step down in quality from the first test, and big dissapointment. Esp to 4:3 format (which my TV or iPod touch then stretches to widescreen - haven't figured out how to turn that off yet)

Willow - 2 steps forward, one step back....

#358 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

SatExplorer,
Neo cricket indeed is showing WI-Ban tests live. So please update

I thought ESPN3 was going to carry this. Why doesn't NEO just go away.

(Not that I care, other than worrying about ongoing fragmentation of cricket coverage, esp on channels that have wide distribution but are basically just a waste of space....)

#359 OFFLINE   sadam1

sadam1

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

dear frinds pakistan domestic t20 cup strt dec 3 live only on ptv sports

#360 OFFLINE   satroy

satroy

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

total mess...don't know what is happening. Today Neo cricket is not showing WI-Ban game, instead showing Ind-Eng match

spam firewall