Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3 2011 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5478 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

Here's my flier

http://www.flickr.co...N08/5909326307/

Do you have a link to the flyer that says more HD is coming?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

The only link I know of/have is to http://www.directv.c..._newsletter.pdf and it still has the May/June newsletter.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#383 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Sure getting testy in here, no wonder SR doesn't drop by anymore:(

I trust SR way more than any flier.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#384 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N05/5882711526/

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#385 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I will say this: The channels in the flier to supposedly be HD on 7/27, are mentioned in this 2007 pressrelease:

http://investor.dire...eleaseid=286351

We have been waiting 4 years for these channels, promised to us in 2007....and seeing the trend of the additions over the last 4 months, it would seem a very logical next set of channels to roll out, and as such finally complete the channels mentioned in 2007.

It just seems ridiculous in my ever so humble opinion to photoshop THOSE channels, as it would seem they are working on those. If I would photoshop a flier with false claims, why not go big and put AMC HD, BBC America HD, etc on there.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#386 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Everyone here wants new HD channels. The difference comes when wanting turns to whining and demanding as if we are entitled to something.

So? It's not really that big a deal is it? Its part of what this thread is for. :D

However, one could argue that the other side of the same coin is when people feel it's their job to counter and defend at all costs.

e.g. I feel DIRECTV should have added DIY HD a long time ago and I can’t really see a reason why Dish and AT&T have it and I don't. Does that mean someone has to come back at me...tell me there are reasons we're not privy to...tell me negotiations take a long time...tell me they’re trying to keep costs down…tell me to go somewhere else if I don’t like it (the rudest of all IMO)? IMHO, it’s just not necessary to constantly harp on other people’s grips. That goes on a lot too...I'm just sayin' :grin:

We all have our wants and opinions, and we're entitled to them. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#387 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

So? It's not really that big a deal is it? Its part of what this thread is for. :D

However, one could argue that the other side of the same coin is when people feel it's their job to counter and defend at all costs.

e.g. I feel DIRECTV should have added DIY HD a long time ago and I can’t really see a reason why Dish and AT&T have it and I don't. Does that mean someone has to come back at me...tell me there are reasons we're not privy to...tell me negotiations take a long time...tell me they’re trying to keep costs down…tell me to go somewhere else if I don’t like it (the rudest of all IMO)? IMHO, it’s just not necessary to constantly harp on other people’s grips. That goes on a lot too...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

Sorry, Mike. You are painting the "gripes" as being all rosy and the others as being mean. I could paint it the other way. I read posts that DirecTV is being stupid and is being run by idiots and that they owe us.

I see posts that distort the facts just because someone wants a specific channel.

I see posts where people deride other desires (like with the recent premium additions) rather than just say "I want AMC."

I see long posts demanding every channel in christendom, repeated over and over again in bright colors.

And I guess those should be ignored? Then why even have a forum? A thread? If we cannot discuss things.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#388 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N05/5882711526/

Not saying it’s fake, but where’s the folds (creases) in the flyer? Is there any way to obtain a flyer that’s not folded?

#389 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Mike

Well, someone has to provide some logic and common sense with all the nonsense being spewed at times.
DTV = Digital Television

#390 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Not saying it’s fake, but where’s the folds (creases) in the flyer? Is there any way to obtain a flyer that’s not folded?

His is a scan, so I guess they weren't recorded?

Mine has folds, but it's a photograph. http://www.flickr.co...N08/5909326307/

DIRECTV customer

#391 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Sorry, Mike. You are painting the "gripes" as being all rosy and the others as being mean. I could paint it the other way. I read posts that DirecTV is being stupid and is being run by idiots and that they owe us.

I see posts that distort the facts just because someone wants a specific channel.

I see posts where people deride other desires (like with the recent premium additions) rather than just say "I want AMC."

I see long posts demanding every channel in christendom, repeated over and over again in bright colors.

And I guess those should be ignored? Then why even have a forum? A thread? If we cannot discuss things.

+1 Far too many posts from the same crew purposely distorting the facts merely to stir the pot.
DTV = Digital Television

#392 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

The missing folds are suspect, but even if he photoshopped the corner, the folds should show up for the rest unless he took the effort to recreate the entire flyer.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#393 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

A flatbed scanner will, unless the lid is too light, press the creases to the scanning glass. It would appear, since the flier is also slightly off-angled, that this is what he used.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#394 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

When I scan folded documents, my scanner always captures the folds in great detail. It seems a tad fishy to me.

However, I’m sure it’s legit. If it said AMCHD, BBCAHD, DIYHD and Nat Geo Wild HD, then I’d certainly smell a rat.

I’ll take the flyer as legit, we’ll all find out “soon”. ;)

#395 OFFLINE   Chris37

Chris37

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm disappointed I was hoping it was true about Cinemax :-(. When the new Direct Magazine comes out online maybe that will say something hopefully in the August issue.

Chris

#396 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

The missing folds are suspect, but even if he photoshopped the corner, the folds should show up for the rest unless he took the effort to recreate the entire flyer.

7/27 more channels are coming, the flyer is correct.

Not all customers receive the same inserts so that may be where the confusion is coming from. But yes, those channels are launching on 7/27
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#397 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

I contacted SatelliteRacer by private message. Although he might not want to post here for a variety of reasons, he did send me this on the question re: the flier:

Posted Image

Let the photoshop accusations begin. :D

I am the Stig.

#398 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Not all customers receive the same inserts so that may be where the confusion is coming from. But yes, those channels are launching on 7/27

Boom! Case closed!

#399 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Uh oh. Someone is owed an apology.
DTV = Digital Television

#400 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

I contacted SatelliteRacer by private message. Although he might not want to post here for a variety of reasons, he did send me this on the question re: the flier:

Posted Image

Let the photoshop accusations begin. :D

It’s a fake! :lol:

spam firewall