Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picture Freezes and Flickers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hi all,

Need a little help. I have two HR24/100 and what happening is the picture freezes sometime to the point where I have to change the channel. I've also notice flickering a lot as well. I check signal level and satellite 101, 99 and 103 are in the 90's. I also have clear sky right now. I reset both receiver via the red button but it didn't fix issue. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Boobie1998

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Hi all,

Need a little help. I have two HR24/100 and what happening is the picture freezes sometime to the point where I have to change the channel. I've also notice flickering a lot as well. I check signal level and satellite 101, 99 and 103 are in the 90's. I also have clear sky right now. I reset both receiver via the red button but it didn't fix issue. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Boobie1998

First thing I'd do is call D* and get my dish aligned. Once you've got it aligned properly, it should work. Or it may have a bad LNB. The 24s demand a strong sat signal to work properly. The problem is probably on your dish.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

First thing I'd do is call D* and get my dish aligned. Once you've got it aligned properly, it should work. Or it may have a bad LNB. The 24s demand a strong sat signal to work properly. The problem is probably on your dish.

Rich

Even though signal are on the 90's they need to be higher? Do you know how much higher? closer to 100?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

Even though signal are on the 90's they need to be higher? Do you know how much higher? closer to 100?

Thanks

No, if all your sat sigs are that good (I misread your OP, sorry), it shouldn't need an alignment, but a bad LNB might still be the case. In any case, I'd still call D* and get a truck out to your house. Might be a multi-switch problem (something I've never had) or a bad coax connection. Sounds like a hardware problem of some sort if it's happening to two HRs at the same time. Let D* worry about it.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:14 AM

No, if all your sat sigs are that good (I misread your OP, sorry), it shouldn't need an alignment, but a bad LNB might still be the case. In any case, I'd still call D* and get a truck out to your house. Might be a multi-switch problem (something I've never had) or a bad coax connection. Sounds like a hardware problem of some sort if it's happening to two HRs at the same time. Let D* worry about it.

Rich

I have a friend who is a directv tech, he's coming over today. I'll report back

Thanks
Boobie1998

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

It could be an HDMI handshake problem if your using HDMI.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

or hdmi port/connection issue in the chain.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#8 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

I'll change the HDMI cable to see. Tech changed the power inserter. I'll see how it goes.

#9 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

I didn't change the HDMI cable yet because the flicker and freezing has stop. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it. Power Inserter was changed.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

I didn't change the HDMI cable yet because the flicker and freezing has stop. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it. Power Inserter was changed.

What confuses me about your problem is that I've had the flickering issue myself twice and each time changing the DECA dongle for a new one solved that. But the freezing seems odd. Neither time did I experience freezing. But if it was the power inserter...well, I've never had one of them go bad. Something else to tuck away for future use.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   dmartin99

dmartin99

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Happy 4th! I have a similar problem that I describe as intermittent freezing and/or delay in the picture coming on. I just changed two things...DTV installed a new HR24/500 and a new dish. They did say that I'm near the max # of feet for the cable because I go to a central spot in my house before going back out to the TV.

Does anyone know of a Coax repeater that I could install to ensure a strong signal for a long cable run? DTV says they don't support them but I've heard they exist. Could that cause this problem?

Thanks, Dave

#12 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

Just thought I'd chime in with what is at least a similar problem. On three occasions in the last couple of weeks (so we're talking about a veryintermittent problem here), it's taken our HR 24-100 approximately a minute (or more?) to tune into a new station. Once it locks in, we don't see the issue for quite a while after that.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#13 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

Well I haven't see picture freeze or flicker but I am getting picture pixels on and off. Any idea?

#14 OFFLINE   careboy

careboy

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

HDMI handshake problem if your using HDMI.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

HDMI handshake problem if your using HDMI.
Posted Image

Sorry don't know what HDMI handshake means, not up with the lingo....

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Sorry don't know what HDMI handshake means, not up with the lingo....

Thanks

It means it takes a bit more time to connect thru HDMI or the HDMI connection causes problems.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

Going to try component cable and see what happens. Always used HMDI as I've been told it better than component. is that true?

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Going to try component cable and see what happens. Always used HMDI as I've been told it better than component. is that true?

Not always, I just bought a new Panny plasma a few months ago and if I use component wires it looks pretty bad. I have six older Panny plasmas that all put out a very similar picture to HDMI when using component. Depends on the TV apparently.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...