Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

Last night while watching a recording from my HR20 over MRV, the picture pixelated a few times in the beginning. Toward the end of the show, though, during the last 10 minutes, the recording would stop & display the message that the receiver had dropped from MRV. Sometimes I could just hit play again, sometimes I had to get out of the program & go back to it. It's not an issue with the network -- all of the boxes have static IP addresses & none of the other boxes had network problems. The HR20 also was off a few days ago & I had to unplug it & plug it back in to get it to come on.

What tests do I need to run to see if there are any issues with it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

I had a similar situation last night too.
Not really sure what/which tests to run, but suggest keeping an eye on it to see if it happens again.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Run the System Test on it first. You can then run the harddrive diagnostics test on it. To get to the harddrive test, you will need to restart the receiver to get to the special menu. I always forget off-hand what the front panel sequence is to get to it. Once there, perform the harddrive test and let us know what it says.

If you playback the same recording on the HR20, do you see the pixelation in the same spot? If you don't and pixelation occurs at another time, that is an indication that the harddrive could be failing.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

I had this same issue about 9:40 Pacific time. A coincidence?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

9:40 PST is past my bedtime CST so I don't think the time would be a factor.

I did backtrack the recording during one of the pixelations & it was still there. We have had no weather here in the last few weeks so that wouldn't cause pixelation, though I do realize other factors could.

I'll search to see if I can find the hard drive test sequence.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

9:40 PST is past my bedtime CST so I don't think the time would be a factor.

I did backtrack the recording during one of the pixelations & it was still there. We have had no weather here in the last few weeks so that wouldn't cause pixelation, though I do realize other factors could.

I'll search to see if I can find the hard drive test sequence.

You can run the system test, and the drive test is found by rebooting and pressing select when the screen says "running receiver self test".
This get you to the menu.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

Thanks, I will test those this evening. Right now I don't have anything overly important on there but when the Fall season starts, I'll have new stuff to record on it & I want to make sure it is not about to fail.

#8 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

Ran the system test -- no problems. Running the surface test for the hard drive. Should I run any other of the multitude of tests they offer if the surface test is ok?

Surface test takes too long so running some of the other tests. Everything checking out fine. Will see if issues continue

Edited by HDJulie, 27 June 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...