Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Interesting discussion on energy consumption

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

I ran across the following earlier today:

http://hardware.slas...ome-Energy-Hogs

and the originally referenced article:

http://www.nytimes.c...cable.html?_r=4

While some of the claims int he article seem a bit over-blown... There certainly are things that could be done to trim the energy usage within the modern DVR without seriously impacting the user experience.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#2 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

I've seen a couple articles talking about this recently. There people obviously don't understand the function of a DVR if they think it can work as designed completely powered down.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

I ran across the following earlier today:

http://hardware.slas...ome-Energy-Hogs

and the originally referenced article:

http://www.nytimes.c...cable.html?_r=4

While some of the claims int he article seem a bit over-blown... There certainly are things that could be done to trim the energy usage within the modern DVR without seriously impacting the user experience.

Do wee need second thread about same subj ? http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=194335

#4 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

as I recall from a few years ago, Directv units (DVRs included) were designed to be more energy friendly than some other units on the market.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

I've seen a couple articles talking about this recently. There people obviously don't understand the function of a DVR if they think it can work as designed completely powered down.

Didn't the Ultimate TV DVRs power completely (or almost completely) down and then come back up when they needed to record something? Was a long time ago that I had them and I'm not sure about this. Anybody remember? I've never understood why they can't power almost completely down when not in use. Down to, say, 3W?

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Do wee need second thread about same subj ? http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=194335

That one is on the Dish side. I don't read or follow any of those threads, so having this one does not seem redundant.

#7 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

One thing that would save power is if the thing wasnt thrashing the disk all the time when its supposedly turned off. An option for a low power mode where nothing but the scheduler and the clock are operating would be nice too. Discard all tuner buffers, shut the disk off, power down the tuners and do nothing but wait for a scheduler command or the user to turn the thing back on.

You know, an actual standby mode.

#8 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Since portions of the guide data are continually being downloaded from the satellite, then a true standby mode would have the problem that portions of the guide data would not be updated. While some customers mint be okay with that, some would undoubtably complain when things were not recorded properly, because of a change in guide data.
DogLover

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

Since portions of the guide data are continually being downloaded from the satellite, then a true standby mode would have the problem that portions of the guide data would not be updated. While some customers mint be okay with that, some would undoubtably complain when things were not recorded properly, because of a change in guide data.

I'm sure some of the hardware could be powered down more than we have now.
The guide has its own tuner, so the other tuners could be turned off.
Now they would still need to power the LNBs [on non SWiM systems] to receive and commands/data, which may mean they'll still use say 10 watts.
Given that the DVRs use 20 [something] to 37 watts [standby], while saving anything isn't a bad idea, a couple of CFLs seems like they would offset this usage.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

And what about the Power Inserters used for powering the SWM LNB and the DECA modules. etc.

Then there are the cable/DSL modems and routers. If you want to get to the nitty gritty, you have TVs that use some power waiting for a remote command to turn on. You could list a whole bunch of power consuming equipment in the home. Anyone still have an analog clock plugged in?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

SSDs.... Not quite yet, but eventually they will leave HDs in the dust on energy consumption.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#12 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

With live buffering you also have a hard drive constantly spinning and writing.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#13 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

SSDs.... Not quite yet, but eventually they will leave HDs in the dust on energy consumption.

I would think the limited writes of an SSD would be problematic for a DVR which is continuously writing data to the drive.

#14 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

Like VOS says, convert to CFL or LED lighting and call it good. I had my Kill-A-watt attached to my HR and what it uses with the power light off was nothing as far as I was concerned. I think it was in the 12-14 watt area. I have all CFL or LED lighting so I am green when it comes to lighting. To me it just seems petty to pick on DVR's has the big electricity monster. If they didn't work on lowering the power usage with new models then pick on them but I think they have been doing a great job in becoming more energy efficient. It takes time to engineer a solid more energy efficient product. :)

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

While more recent chip designs have 'sleep' modes for certain subsystems, I doubt the current H/HR series have the ability to sleep individual subsystems like tuners, etc. Even stopping the hard drive would require a complete revamp of handling guide data and todo calculations.

Lowering or raising (depending on the season) your heating / cooling temps by a couple of degrees and changing to CFLs / LEDs would have a much bigger impact.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

From here: http://reviews.cnet....wer-efficiency/

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1309289578

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.GIF

A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   astrotrf

astrotrf

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

> DirecTV HR20 DVR: 33 watts

Something's not right here -- that's a kilowatt in 30 hours, which costs me ten cents. That works out to $2.40 for a month, not the $10 of the referenced article. Does anybody really pay 40 cents per kilowatt-hour?

I can't really get excited up about less than $30 of electricity for an entire year. OTOH, I should reveal my biases: "People in the energy efficiency community" mostly just give me a ruddy shootin' pain, anyway, what with telling me to unplug my two-dollars-per-year wall warts, etc. My solution to their making me wait 30 seconds for my TV to warm up and show a picture (gotta get rid of that awful instant-on stuff) was simply to leave the thing on. They want me to sacrifice my convenience to soothe their sensibilities -- so I just say no.

#18 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:45 AM

For my $.05 worth, if they can have the tech in england to power down and up there STB's why not here??, I mean was other's were saying, ok so Directv STB's receive guide data all the time 24/7, most STB's store 14 days (DVR's) and 3.5 days for the SD receivers, if you power down the unit over night (no recording are there), then in the morning you turn on the STB to watch the local news, why not have it that the STB will update the guide data when it is on and running and play catch up, hell Dish's boxes reboot at 3am (Local time) and redownload there guide data in one shot, granted it is either 3 days (for the basic receivers, or 7 days for there DVR's), the tech is out there it is all about the willingness of companies to use it!

Yes I have upgraded all my lighting in my house to CFL's or Florescent bulbs and it has saved me a bundle, I also have my outdoor lights on timers, after doing the above I saved $60 a month on electric.
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

This seems to be the big story this week.

It's worthwhile to note that the DIRECTV HD DVRs are Energy Star certified and most other DVRs are not.

Also worth noting that if these devices went into standby when not explicitly being used, energy use would drop but you would never have a buffer when you turned on the TV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Also worth noting that if these devices went into standby when not explicitly being used, energy use would drop but you would never have a buffer when you turned on the TV.

I think that for some people that would be an acceptable trade off. Not to mention that the hard drive would be silent (great for bedrooms), and the hard drive would likely last a lot longer. They should make it an optional setting if the hardware can handle it.

spam firewall