Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding another DVR question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

I want to add an additional DVR to a room that I have a current DVR in. Can use a splitter to connect the additional DVR or do I have to run a new line?

I can't add another line, unless I kill the OTA.

Or I add the DVR in another room with a TV just use it for MRV. That would work, right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Do you have a SWM setup now? The current DVR is using 1 wire?

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

See edits below...

I want to add an additional DVR to a room that I have a current DVR in. Can use a splitter to connect the additional DVR or do I have to run a new line? Yes, you can split the line as long as you have a SWiM setup and you're not maxed out on tuners.

I can't add another line, unless I kill the OTA.

Or I add the DVR in another room with a TV just use it for MRV. That would work, right? Yes it would.

Edited by Go Beavs, 28 June 2011 - 09:40 AM.
Clarification

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Great, thank guys. Yes, I have a SWiM as I have MVR.

#5 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Don't forget that they will add another two years to your contract.

#6 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Don't forget that they will add another two years to your contract.

That I understand. I need to figure out in the next few months, is it worth it for a 2 yr commitment.

One thing I DON'T get with DIRECTV. The receivers are leased, We have to pay a high amount for them and he have to commit to 2 yrs. Unlike the phone industry, if I commit for 2yrs, its OWNED at a lower price.

So let me buy a HRx DVR for $500 and no commitment. :rolleyes:

I guess its more like the car industry.

I very frustrating. Add a new price of equipment and get sock for 2 yrs! :nono2:

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

That I understand. I need to figure out in the next few months, is it worth it for a 2 yr commitment.

One thing I DON'T get with DIRECTV. The receivers are leased, We have to pay a high amount for them and he have to commit to 2 yrs. Unlike the phone industry, if I commit for 2yrs, its OWNED at a lower price.

I very frustrating. Add a new price of equipment and get sock for 2 yrs! :nono2:

You can buy one owned without commitment for around that $500 price.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

You can buy one owned without commitment for around that $500 price.

I thoughts that's over now? Its the HR21-Pro only, right?

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

I thoughts that's over now? Its the HR21-Pro only, right?

You can buy owned units here and ebay. Hopefully some folks who do it can posts some tips and dos/don'ts.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

If I remember right, maybe from a post from RobertE or Matt, you can buy a receiver from the Access Card Department as well, and you'll get that model (most would want an HR24.) You have to make sure they are the ones to activate it.

Going through a retailer like Solid Signal, to get owned it would have to be something like the HR21-Pro.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hmmm. An iPhone4 from Verizon with no upgrade discounts can run you $199 with a 2 year commitment or you can buy it without a commitment for about $600. Yes, even when you pay $199 you own it, but once again, why would you want to keep your DirecTV recevier when you quit their service after a few years?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hmmm. An iPhone4 from Verizon with no upgrade discounts can run you $199 with a 2 year commitment or you can buy it without a commitment for about $600. Yes, even when you pay $199 you own it, but once again, why would you want to keep your DirecTV recevier when you quit their service after a few years?

- Merg

Although I have no intents on ever leaving D*, I would imagine that the advantage of owning a dvr is that if you do leave, you can sell the dvr and regain some of the initial cost.
I don't know if that would make the overall cost less than the $199 lease fee.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Although I have no intents on ever leaving D*, I would imagine that the advantage of owning a dvr is that if you do leave, you can sell the dvr and regain some of the initial cost.
I don't know if that would make the overall cost less than the $199 lease fee.

Obviously, you won't sell if for more than $199, so it is not likely you will recover the differential you pay to own it if you had to pay full owned price (which of course many people do not).

To me, the biggest advantage to owning is you can activate/de-activate as desired and hold onto the unit for potential future use. I've got a couple of units that get turned on and off from time to time, and there is no shipping back the turned off unit, and no having to pay for a replacement leased unit when re-activating. However, that is not something the average customer does routinely.

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Obviously, you won't sell if for more than $199, so it is not likely you will recover the differential you pay to own it if you had to pay full owned price (which of course many people do not).

To me, the biggest advantage to owning is you can activate/de-activate as desired and hold onto the unit for potential future use. I've got a couple of units that get turned on and off from time to time, and there is no shipping back the turned off unit, and no having to pay for a replacement leased unit when re-activating. However, that is not something the average customer does routinely.

+1

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

But if you were to buy a used (owned) dvr, I think that you would recover most of the purchase price when you sold it as a used (owned) box, wouldn't you?
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#16 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

You can buy owned units here and ebay. Hopefully some folks who do it can posts some tips and dos/don'ts.

Can anyone share where to go on this forum to buy an owned unit? I'm interested in buying an owned HR24, but I didn't see a For Sale forum here.

EDIT - Clearly my eyes are failing me, here's the Buy, Sell, Trade forum: http://www.dbstalk.c...ysprune=-1&f=97

Edited by LiQiCE, 01 July 2011 - 01:41 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...