Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM and Standard Def Dual LNB Dish

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

I have an older standard defenition dish (18" Round & 2 LNB's) that I am using with R-22, R-15 and an old RCA receiver. Right now I am using two multiswitches cascaded to provide inputs for the units. The R-22's have and input for a SWM. I plan to replace the old RCA with another R-22. Can I replace the multiswitches and use a SWM in its place and use the legacy ports to run the R-15.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,503 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

Yes. I'm a bit confused about your current dish, though. You say it's "18" Round & 2 LNB's". The typical 18" round dish has just one LNB with two coax cable outputs. Is that what you have?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   barney34

barney34

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

I have the same type dish phase III with 3 r16's. You will have to call in and ask the csr to flag your account as SWM compatible. Be sure to look at what cables are currently hooked into your multiplexer. Mine are 18 +/- I think or maybe 13+/- the other two are just empty for inputs.

See these thread where I got some of my original answers.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=170334
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=170803

#4 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Yes. I'm a bit confused about your current dish, though. You say it's "18" Round & 2 LNB's". The typical 18" round dish has just one LNB with two coax cable outputs. Is that what you have?

Sorry, didn't quite explain that one right, it has a "Dual LNB" (Two coax outputs)
I don't have the phase III dish this is the dish I have:
Posted Image
D&C

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 29 June 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

yes you can goto a swim setup you will need a swim-8 and a PI to do that.

or you can upgrade your dish with a swim lnb and you won't need the the swim 8 (will still need a PI though)
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

#6 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

yes you can goto a swim setup you will need a swim-8 and a PI to do that.

or you can upgrade your dish with a swim lnb and you won't need the the swim 8 (will still need a PI though)

He is keeping an R-15, which wouldn't be compatible with a SWiM LNB.

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Why on earth would you want an SWM with an 18" dish? The ONLY reason I can think of is that you only have a single cable going to a dual tuner receiver and it's difficult/impossible to run a second cable.

Why don't you get an 8 port multiswitch like I have? I have the Phase III dish which has 4 outputs and 110/119 satellite support, but you could just hook up the two outputs of your 18" dish to 2 of the inputs on the 8 port multiswitch and avoid that "daisy chaining" mess. The signal strength is really pretty good through the 8 port switch and you can probably pick one up very cheaply.

I actually got mine when someone on DBSTALK.COM had one that was no longer needed and he sent it to me FOR FREE including shipping! (Thanks Jeremy if you are reading this!)

Finally, you said you were getting an R-22. I hope you don't think DirecTV is going to send you one if you just request an additional SD DVR. You would have to purchase on the internet or from someone you know and if you do be careful since the R-22 came out AFTER the leasing program began. There are VERY few "owned" R-22's out there...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

He is keeping an R-15, which wouldn't be compatible with a SWiM LNB.

Can I replace the multiswitches and use a SWM in its place and use the legacy ports to run the R-15.

The second quote is from post #1 in this thread, the Op knows that he will have to use the legacy ports on a swim 8 or 16 so he can use his r-15

Sorry thomas M you are right, I messed up!!!!!, yes he will need a swim-8 or swim-16 for the legacy ports!!

Edited by admdata, 01 July 2011 - 08:24 AM.
oppss

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

#9 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been gone for a while.

Why on earth would you want an SWM with an 18" dish? The ONLY reason I can think of is that you only have a single cable going to a dual tuner receiver and it's difficult/impossible to run a second cable.

Yes, I have a run down to the family room that already has a single wire to it. Running a second wire would be a real bear. It will also be ready for HD when I want to make the switch.

Finally, you said you were getting an R-22. I hope you don't think DirecTV is going to send you one if you just request an additional SD DVR. You would have to purchase on the internet or from someone you know and if you do be careful since the R-22 came out AFTER the leasing program began. There are VERY few "owned" R-22's out there...

From reading here on dbstalk I know better than to try to ask DTV for a specific receiver. I purchased two R-22's on Ebay. I made sure they were able to be activated before I bought them. (And even then I held my breath until the receivers actually got here and the receiver IDs matched what was listed on Ebay.) I had to go through a lot of listings to find receivers that could be activated and that were not overpriced.
Now if I could just network them without jumping through DTV's hoops.
I do like being able to download HD shows from the on-demand section.

The second quote is from post #1 in this thread, the Op knows that he will have to use the legacy ports on a swim 8 or 16 so he can use his r-15

Sorry thomas M you are right, I messed up!!!!!, yes he will need a swim-8 or swim-16 for the legacy ports!!

I was hoping I could do that with the R-15. I kind of wanted to move the R-15 out to the workshop just for the rewind feature. Working on something and missed it on TV, you get spoiled by the rewind and pause feature. :)

Thanks for all the help. It probably would have been easier to just order HD service and have DTV come out and hook everything up. But I figured if I ordered a non DVR HD receiver they wouldn't give me a SWM anyway.
Besides I alway feel the need to do things the hard way. :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

Now if I could just network them without jumping through DTV's hoops.
I do like being able to download HD shows from the on-demand section.

No hoops. Since you are already converting to SWM, all you need is three receiver DECAs, one with a power supply. One DECA with p/s at your router to inject networking capabilities onto the SWM network. One DECA at each of the R22s to integrate with your home network.

Good Luck!!

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

No hoops. Since you are already converting to SWM, all you need is three receiver DECAs, one with a power supply. One DECA with p/s at your router to inject networking capabilities onto the SWM network. One DECA at each of the R22s to integrate with your home network.

Good Luck!!

Unfortunately, in the OP's case, it is not that easy. Since the OP is using SD service and has no HD receivers, the OP will not be able to get MRV turned on. In order for MRV to be allowed to be turned on, even in an unsupported mode, you need to have a HD-DVR and at least another HD receiver. The R22s only count as SD-DVRs.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately, in the OP's case, it is not that easy. Since the OP is using SD service and has no HD receivers, the OP will not be able to get MRV turned on. In order for MRV to be allowed to be turned on, even in an unsupported mode, you need to have a HD-DVR and at least another HD receiver. The R22s only count as SD-DVRs.

- Merg

Nobody mentioned MRV.

The OP was interested in connecting the R22s for VOD, as noted in the quote.

Good Luck!!

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

...and if the happy SD R-22 owner decides to pop $50 for an AM-21, he can record and watch all his locals in HD plus get the subchannels!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:20 AM

Nobody mentioned MRV.

Good Luck!!

You're right. That was my bad. When I read about the OP trying to network them without jumping through hoops and your mentioning of DECA, my brain automatically jumped to MRV. :)

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Nobody mentioned MRV.

Good Luck!!

You're right. That was my bad. When I read about the OP trying to network them without jumping through hoops and your mentioning of DECA, my brain automatically jumped to MRV. :)

- Merg

No it was my bad, :confused:
I'm not real familiar with the lingo. My receivers are currently hooked up to my home network and I can get VOD. I was talking about MRV on my system. And since I would have to get an HD DVR and a HD receiver to get MRV I guess I'll just have large hard drives on both of the units and record everything to both units. (Poor man's MRV) I don't understand why DTV won't recognize that some of us SD viewers might like MRV as well. One interesting sidenote is my Win7 computer "sees" my R22-100 receiver but of course can't access it.
Just curious what does "OP" stand for? (I'm just glad it wasn't "PIA")
D&C

#16 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

...and if the happy SD R-22 owner decides to pop $50 for an AM-21, he can record and watch all his locals in HD plus get the subchannels!

Will DTV sell it to me even though I have only SD service?
Or do I need to buy from an outside source?

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 11 July 2011 - 08:24 AM.
Found answers to the other questions

#17 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,503 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Will DTV sell it to me even though I have only SD service?
Or do I need to buy from an outside source?

Look to see if the AM21 appears on your DirecTV web account as an accessory that you can order. If it does, just order it. If not, try calling. Or buy one from Solid Signal.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#18 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

No it was my bad, :confused:
I'm not real familiar with the lingo. My receivers are currently hooked up to my home network and I can get VOD. I was talking about MRV on my system. And since I would have to get an HD DVR and a HD receiver to get MRV I guess I'll just have large hard drives on both of the units and record everything to both units. (Poor man's MRV) I don't understand why DTV won't recognize that some of us SD viewers might like MRV as well. One interesting sidenote is my Win7 computer "sees" my R22-100 receiver but of course can't access it.
Just curious what does "OP" stand for? (I'm just glad it wasn't "PIA")
D&C

OP= Original Poster in this case you!

#19 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

OK now I've got my 8 channel SWM.
Here's the plan:
I plan to hook up the two ports labeled Sat 99/101 to my current SD 18" dish. My off air antenna to the port labeled Off-Air. Port SWM1 will go to the power inserter and then to the R-22 receiver in the living room. SWM2 will go to the R-22 receiver in the basement family room. Legacy 1 & 2 will go to the R-15.
Questions: :confused:
Do I use diplexers just before the receiver to split the Off-Air signal to go to the TV and the AM-21?
Can I split the SWM signal in the basement using a 1 x 2 (or 4) splitter and terminate one of the cables with a diplexer that is hooked only to a TV? The satellite port will be unused there.
Do I need to use termination resistors on the open Splitter SWM ports?
Any flaws in the plan? :eek2:

#20 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Questions: :confused:
Do I use diplexers just before the receiver to split the Off-Air signal to go to the TV and the AM-21?

Yes

Can I split the SWM signal in the basement using a 1 x 2 (or 4) splitter and terminate one of the cables with a diplexer that is hooked only to a TV? The satellite port will be unused there.

As far as the DirecTV functioning, that should not be a problem. I've had less than great success trying to diplex any OTA through an SWM8. Use a DirecTV green labeled splitter.

Do I need to use termination resistors on the open Splitter SWM ports?

Yes. Any unused SWM port should be terminated.

Any flaws in the plan? :eek2:

Other than trying to diplex OTA, none that I can see. Seriously, I hope this works for you. I gave up on diplexing some time ago, and have been very happy since.

spam firewall