Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-20 Replace Internal Drive Question (Owned Unit)

timer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

I have searched the numerous threads but did not see answers to my specific questions. I own three HR20s and have external drives on them.

1. If I take the external drive and want to make that drive the internal drive by swapping it out, is everything that was on the external drive, including recordings, available when it becomes the internal? Of course this would be placed in the unit the recordings were made.

2. If I put a new internal drive in a unit, will the existing external retain all settings and recordings?

3. A separate question, I notice Richie and others say they own their own HR24s. How do you own one now? I thought they were all leased.

Thanks for all your help,

Kevin

P.S. Congrats to DBSTalk.com for ten great years!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

The answers to both 1 and 2 are yes.

There seems to be confusion on this quite often. Whats recorded on the drive, is whats recorded on the drive, whether its external or internal to the dvr.

Switching back and forth between the internal drive and the external always shows the recordings on just that particular drive that you booted up to at the time.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

As far as owning, it is a very rare thing. It's not impossible to to but one has to jump through a whole lot of hoops, from what I understand.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

Thanks, Guys!

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

One of the easiest ways to end up with an owned receiver is to have an owned receiver fail while you have the Protection Plan. The replacement will then be owned.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:18 AM

I have searched the numerous threads but did not see answers to my specific questions. I own three HR20s and have external drives on them.

1. If I take the external drive and want to make that drive the internal drive by swapping it out, is everything that was on the external drive, including recordings, available when it becomes the internal? Of course this would be placed in the unit the recordings were made.

2. If I put a new internal drive in a unit, will the existing external retain all settings and recordings?

3. A separate question, I notice Richie and others say they own their own HR24s. How do you own one now? I thought they were all leased.

Thanks for all your help,

Kevin

P.S. Congrats to DBSTalk.com for ten great years!

I've got six owned HRs, five 20-700s and a 24-500 that replaced an owned 20-700 that had a bad HDMI port. I bought all the 20-700s on eBay or Craigslist from Multiple Dwelling Unit folks. All were in good shape, had one owner, and played well except for the one with the bad HDMI port. My remaining 20-700s show no signs of failing so I haven't replaced them with 24s. Still not really sure which HR is better. I've had a lot of problems with the 500 and external devices. Finally had to put the large HDD in the box. Runs fine now.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

I've got six owned HRs, five 20-700s and a 24-500 that replaced an owned 20-700 that had a bad HDMI port. I bought all the 20-700s on eBay or Craigslist from Multiple Dwelling Unit folks. All were in good shape, had one owner, and played well except for the one with the bad HDMI port. My remaining 20-700s show no signs of failing so I haven't replaced them with 24s. Still not really sure which HR is better. I've had a lot of problems with the 500 and external devices. Finally had to put the large HDD in the box. Runs fine now.

Rich

Hi, Rich.

I have three 20-100s, and they've been fine since I've owned them. I've had them for a long time and bought them new back when they were sold instead of leased. Until recently, all three have worked fine with 1.5TB external drives. Now, two of them are rebooting at times, but I believed I've narrowed it down to the external drives, as I've run them both on the internal and they've been fine. The problem only happens when they are using the external drives. So I just bought three WD20EURS drives and am going to install two of them into the two problem units. I'll probably do the third one, too, and stop using the externals. May as well cut down on my electric bill a little and eliminate three of the twenty-nine hard drives I have running in the house.

Thanks,
Kevin

P.S. Go Yankees! 12-2 last night and 1.5 games ahead. I'm in FL, but lived on Long Island until 2007 and have always been a Yankees fan.

#8 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi, Rich.

I have three 20-100s, and they've been fine since I've owned them. I've had them for a long time and bought them new back when they were sold instead of leased. Until recently, all three have worked fine with 1.5TB external drives. Now, two of them are rebooting at times, but I believed I've narrowed it down to the external drives, as I've run them both on the internal and they've been fine. The problem only happens when they are using the external drives. So I just bought three WD20EURS drives and am going to install two of them into the two problem units. I'll probably do the third one, too, and stop using the externals. May as well cut down on my electric bill a little and eliminate three of the twenty-nine hard drives I have running in the house.

I think you'll find that they'll run a lot better with the larger internal drives. A word of caution to anyone reading this post: I've had problems with my 24-500 using an external drive with EVDS HDDs. On three different 500s. Got sick of replacing them and finally installed an EVDS drive internally. Works fine. I've also been PMing with a member who couldn't get an EURS to be recognized externally by his 500. I think there's a problem with the 500s and external drives. We both used Thermaltake docking stations and they might have been the cause. Both the EVDS and TT docking stations work very well with my 20-700s.

P.S. Go Yankees! 12-2 last night and 1.5 games ahead. I'm in FL, but lived on Long Island until 2007 and have always been a Yankees fan.

I never say a word about how well or how poorly the Yankees are doing during the season. I'm not religious or superstitious, but...:lol:

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

I think you'll find that they'll run a lot better with the larger internal drives.

I never say a word about how well or how poorly the Yankees are doing during the season. I'm not religious or superstitious, but...:lol:

Rich

From what I've read in your posts, internal's the way to go, and since I own the receivers, no risk.

I hear you about the Yankees. I'll be quiet now...

Kevin

#10 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,441 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

From what I've read in your posts, internal's the way to go, and since I own the receivers, no risk.

Right. Just make sure you don't come close to filling them up and the HRs will run really well.

I hear you about the Yankees. I'll be quiet now...

Don't want to jinx them...

Rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...