Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lightning arresting for HR21

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

A week ago a very intense lightning storm took out my HR21-700 HDMI port. When lightning either hit my SL3 on my roof or hit near by. It also destroyed the HDMI port the HR21 was connected to. My Vizio. That is being repaired. I want to beable to record or even watch TV during storms without fear of my TV getting hit again or HR21 getting messed up. Is there an option or item I can buy to arrest the lightning before it gets to the reciever? If not will using Composite/Component connections and disconnecting the HDMI remove the risk of damage? I had my HR21 also connected to my Vizio via Composite as a backup. It still works ok. Ideas?
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:30 PM

Recently we discussed such protection, it would cost you a lot and will require to build four tall towers in corners of your lot. Bonding them and grounding, all your cable's entries should be protected also ...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192639

Edited by P Smith, 28 June 2011 - 04:39 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...