Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR extender question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

I rigged up a Monoprice IR extender to run on battery power, so I can take it out near the pool and still have volume control. I wanted to know if the extender pulls power all of the time or only when being used to send a signal to the receiver. I would think it would need some level of trickle power to keep the sensor active. I have it running on 8 AA rechargeable batteries housed in a polycarbonate box. Works well and can be positioned within about 50-60 feet or so before it gets sluggish with RF it's trying to send to the receiver. Any help would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have no idea about the answer but I would like to congratulate you on your ingenuity. :righton:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

I would guess that it is always using some power for the IR eye and using more power to transmit the RF signal when needed.

Since you already rigged something up, it wouldn't be too hard to get a multitester connected between the power supply and the device. Measure miliamps and connect the multitester in serial with the power source.

A basic multitester is about $15-$20 at RadioShack and it is a nice tool to have.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#4 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

OK, after playing around with the multimeter, the IR transmitter does indeed use a trickle to keep the eye ready to receive a signal. So I guess the only way around this, and to keep the transmitter portable, is to add a small toggle switch to the box. That way I can take it with me to the pool, turn it on, and use it for a few hours, then switch it off. Either way, the Monoprice system is only good for about 25 feet tops with all of the RF interference in the area. In theory it's a cool idea, but the practical use of it is still in development. Maybe a motion sensor with a really short operational period, say 15 seconds coupled with a short sensor area to turn on the box, maybe a foot or two, nah...that wouldn't work either, need some more though on this...:rolleyes:

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

You should try a Next Generation RF system. It works fine for me at 50'+.

#6 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Is that the flying saucer looking extender like this one?

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000C1Z0HA

#7 ONLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

Is that the flying saucer looking extender like this one?

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000C1Z0HA

That's the one. the "sauser goes at the equipment location and it's a simple battery swap out for the remote you wish to become "RF". It comes with 2 batteries; one of which stays charged at the base until you need to swap them out (so you'll always have a spare ready to go).

#8 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:44 AM

I've used the Next Generation remote repeaters on customer systems for years and they have never failed me. I've yet to find its maximum range although I haven't gone over 75'. I have one now in my house to control my kitchen system. Because of electrical interference from my breaker panel, the RF side of my DirecTV remote goes maybe 10', and even then, only begrudgingly. The Next Generation repeater is unphased by the interference.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#9 OFFLINE   rebaztec

rebaztec

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

OK...how come I haven't heard/seen more people using this little gem? I have it connected to the receiver for my outdoor pool/spa set up and it is great! I can be almost anywhere in my yard and it works. I bought another transmitter for another remote in the same system. I've shown this off to a few of my friends and family and they have all been impressed by it's simplistic, yet effective design. Great product...

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

I too am puzzled why this elegant device isn't more popular. I think people just automatically assume they have to buy a $250+ RF remote, and cheaper alternatives never enter their minds.

Glad it worked out for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...