Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD SWM Compatible Dish For RV

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

I have been trying to get a dish for my RV and I am confused. I have an HR24 DVR in HD that is setup in the SWM configuration. I checked on the Winegard Traveler but that requires 2 feed lines,BBC's and a very time consuming resetup of the DVR. Is there any way to maintain the SWM on an RV. Either fully auto or semi auto. I would really like to just move the DVR from home to RV without the time consuming reset. Thanx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

First off let ask, are you planning on a roof mought antenna or a portable? What part of the country are you in? A roof mought is the easyest but does $$. Go to wingard.com
and check what they have. Changing from swm to muliti switch is not that hard.

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

You will have to get another power inserter, possible splitter (if more than 1 receiver). Also you will need the slimline dish and an SL5-S or SL3-S. Make sure it's the SWiM version of the LNB otherwise 2 cables will be needed. Also don't use the built in wiring of the RV unless you can replace the solitudes with DirecTV green labeled ones. It would be much easier to get a dish on a tripod, the 18" round dish to be exact. It can only et SD channels but moat people dont have 50" plasmas in their RV. I'm using an SD Dish currently on my RV trip and it's working great. You can reply back for more detailed instructions on either setup.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Cabletech beat me to it :). I guess I'm not a very quick typer on my iPhone. All well. :D

Kevin
Kevin

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:37 AM

I definitely want a roof mount. Either semi-auto or auto. I also want HD. At home I have the SL-3 dish with the SWM setup. I only need the 3 sat setup.

I did call Winegard but all they have is the Traveler. That is what prompted my question. Thanx

#6 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Changing from swm to muliti switch is not that hard.

It is not that hard (once you figure it out) but it is very time consuming and is a 2X process for each move. I would like to keep it SWM so it is just a plug and play. Thanx

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

You may have to run your own wires/splitters then through the RV unless you can replace all of the splitters in it for a SWM system. That may involve some drilling...
Kevin

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

You may have to run your own wires/splitters then through the RV unless you can replace all of the splitters in it for a SWM system. That may involve some drilling...

That is no problem to run new cables. Winegard said I can't do SWM as it can't locate the satellites automatically. Or at least they do not sell it. What dish and equipment do I need ?

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

I definitely want a roof mount. Either semi-auto or auto.

The Winegard TRAV'LER SK-3005 would appear to be your ONLY option. I'm pretty sure it has a legacy LNB assembly that isn't interchangeable with an SWM LNB assembly. Street prices are around $1,400 (installation not included).

DIRECTV was taking a pretty nasty beat-down in RV circles prior to the arrival of this unit.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,656 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

That is no problem to run new cables. Winegard said I can't do SWM as it can't locate the satellites automatically. Or at least they do not sell it. What dish and equipment do I need ?

This thread shows how someone has done it:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=193241

You'll need to use either a SWM8 or SWiM-16 so it will function with the Winegard.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,950 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

If the Trav'ler uses a normal Slimline LNB (the picture seems to indicate that), you could swap the LNB for a SWM version. If not, you could run 4 cables from the Trav'ler to a SWM8.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,656 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

If the Trav'ler uses a normal Slimline LNB (the picture seems to indicate that), you could swap the LNB for a SWM version. If not, you could run 4 cables from the Trav'ler to a SWM8.

It's not that the LNB isn't a "normal" Slimline, but that the auto alignment can't function with a SWM LNB. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

This thread shows how someone has done it:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=193241

You'll need to use either a SWM8 or SWiM-16 so it will function with the Winegard.

That sounds too easy. Will the setup on the DVR remain the same as my #17 SWM setup as at home ?

#14 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

VOS is right. The Winegard Trav'ler has to use the legacy LNB to function. You cannot switch it for a SWM LNB.

What you have to do is simply add a SWM8 to the feed from the Winegard dish. You do have to run the usual 4 cables from the dish to the SWM8.

This also works with the similar Motosat automatic dish.

Keith

who does have a 50 inch plasma in his RV

#15 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,656 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

That sounds too easy. Will the setup on the DVR remain the same as my #17 SWM setup as at home ?

Not sure what your #17 setup is, but from the SWiM, the setup/layout is the same.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanx for everyone's input. I believe I understand now. Just add a SWM8 to the Traveler and 1 coax with power supply to the HR24 from the SWM8. Satellite setup should be the same as my home dish which uses the 3 LNB SWM dish. So I should be able to move my HR24 from house to RV with no changes.

#17 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,504 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Not sure what your #17 setup is, but from the SWiM, the setup/layout is the same.

17: Slimline-3S (SWM)

It's part of the dish setup process.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#18 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,656 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

17: Slimline-3S (SWM)

It's part of the dish setup process.

Thanks, I haven't looked at that screen is so long I.....
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,950 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Since that LNB sees 5 satellites, perhaps 18 or 4 (plus SWM multiswitch) would be more appropriate, although it probably doesn't matter since the SWM always gets guide data from 101.

#20 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Keith

who does have a 50 inch plasma in his RV

Thats impressive. I only have a 24 incher. My RV isn't big enough for a bigger tv. I have a big plasma at home though. How does your RV do with the added electrical load of the tv?
Kevin

My Setup

spam firewall