Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD SWM Compatible Dish For RV

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

Since that LNB sees 5 satellites, perhaps 18 or 4 (plus SWM multiswitch) would be more appropriate, although it probably doesn't matter since the SWM always gets guide data from 101.

That brings up another question. Since my home dish only uses 3 sats and the Traveler uses 5, will that require a different receiver setting or will the #17 still work with the 5 sat ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

That brings up another question. Since my home dish only uses 3 sats and the Traveler uses 5, will that require a different receiver setting or will the #17 still work with the 5 sat ?

In my experience on a SWM system, the receiver autodetected the LNB
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

Go to winegard.com and click on rv antenna and you will see a sl5 that is auto tuned AND you do not even need the reciever connected as it finds the birds, I have one on my rv and it works great, just push the on button on the controler and ur good to go. It can run on either 1,2,3,4 cables and comes with two. about $1700.00

#24 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

Sorry to hijack, but I am staying in my bro-in-law's 5th wheel that has a Winegard Trav'ler. I connected up an HR24-700, setup as a Slimline 3/multiswitch, but at first it was only seeing 3 sats, then I changed the satellite setup to Slimline 5/Multiswitch, but it is only seeing 4 sats, it isn't picking up the 99 sat at all. My bro-in-law didn't have a BBC, so it isn't getting everything, anyway...

Any ideas on why it isn't seeing all five birds?

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#25 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

You need to get two BBCs in order to see all of the satellites. Call Directv and they will send them (no charge).

#26 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

You need to get two BBCs in order to see all of the satellites. Call Directv and they will send them (no charge).

I already had him call for the BBC's...I knew the HR24 would need one, didn't realize it would cause the box not to "see" the 99 sat completely. He also has an HR23 that I'm still trying to figure out in the Living Room...cables are a rat's nest!

UPDATE: Added the BBC to the HR24 and all is well! Still haven't found a coax in the Living Room of the Rv that has a satellite signal on it....thinking it's a problem with no coax actually running to the living room...

Edited by mobandit, 02 July 2011 - 10:47 PM.
Added new information

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#27 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

Only if you run repeat sat setup.

Otherwise it will stay at 17 slimline 3 swm

Most rvs will have cables run to the other rooms, you will need to pull all the plates, tone them out, take out all splitters and change out barrels but usually it can be done without rewiring if it had a seperate sat input already. Sometimes you can disconnect the antenna lines and use them accordingly without rewiring also, but then you lose OTA.

If you other room is non HD, you can place several receivers in the equipment door and modulate them back into the system using the RV switch box.

Numerous ways to do what you need for different applications. Its tough to find someone that knows RVs though.

#28 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

Only if you run repeat sat setup.

Otherwise it will stay at 17 slimline 3 swm

Good call. I felt like I was missing something. Thanks for the clarification.

Kevin
Kevin

My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   az99

az99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Does anyone have any idea how many watts of power the SWM8 draws ? I have seen posts that say they generate a lot of heat which would seem to take a lot of power. I am going to use it in an RV with an inverter and limited battery storage. Thanx

#30 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,723 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

Does anyone have any idea how many watts of power the SWM8 draws ? I have seen posts that say they generate a lot of heat which would seem to take a lot of power. I am going to use it in an RV with an inverter and limited battery storage. Thanx

The SWM8 shouldn't get that hot. Warm yes, but it's the SWiM-16 [a double SWM8] that can get really warm.
The PI [for both] is rated at 29 volts & 1.5 amps, so the SWM8 should only draw .75 amps, so around 20 watts.
A.K.A VOS

#31 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

The reciever will not autodect a swm 8 switch connected to a sl3 or sl5 lnb, you still have to tell it what it is, the switch does not know.....

Also for above, your sl3s 17: swm setting will working just fine moving it from the house to the traveler with a swm8(even though its a sl5l lnb) you wont have guide issues since its a swm switch.

all you would do is plug it in and it will work, no need to re run sat setup

#32 OFFLINE   bfrosty

bfrosty

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

http://www.google.co...ved=0CG4Q8wIwAw
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein

#33 OFFLINE   rdalrymple

rdalrymple

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

The reciever will not autodect a swm 8 switch connected to a sl3 or sl5 lnb, you still have to tell it what it is, the switch does not know.....

Since I'm about to go down this road, let me jump in and make sure I understand what I think I understand.

The RV is currently all SD but I want to go HD. At home I have Slimline 5 and WB-68. From my favorite RV spot the dish can't see the 119 bird, and probably can't see the 110, so I think I need to go SL3 with 4 out and SWM-8 (I need to feed a legacy tuner also). I'm pretty sure I don't need the 110 or 119 from home or from the RV. Home zip is 29678, favorite RV spot is in the same locals area.

My question, assuming I'm correct in the above, is this ... To move HD tuners from the house to the RV and back again without having to run setup, is my best course to go with the SL3 LNB for the RV, change out the SL5 LNB at home to an SL3, and install SWM-8 for both home & RV?

#34 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

Yep. And don't forget to rerun sat setup each time you change locations.
Kevin

My Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

Actually I thought if he changes over both his house and RV to a SL3 LNB and SWM 8 he wouldn't have to run sat setup at all.

rdalrymple, how many receivers/DVRs are you putting in your RV? You might not need a SWM 8 at all. You might be able to get away with just swapping your home LNB out for a SL3 LNB, and using a SL3 LNB with no multiswitch in the RV. That could save you a lot of money (2 SWM8's wouldn't be cheap, even buying from eBay).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#36 OFFLINE   rdalrymple

rdalrymple

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

rdalrymple, how many receivers/DVRs are you putting in your RV? You might not need a SWM 8 at all. You might be able to get away with just swapping your home LNB out for a SL3 LNB, and using a SL3 LNB with no multiswitch in the RV. That could save you a lot of money (2 SWM8's wouldn't be cheap, even buying from eBay).

I'll sometimes run 3 DVR's, but 1 will be legacy (In-laws park beside me and run their R15 off my antenna). Can I run a legacy with no multiswitch?

#37 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

I'll sometimes run 3 DVR's, but 1 will be legacy (In-laws park beside me and run their R15 off my antenna). Can I run a legacy with no multiswitch?

If you get the SWM8 switch you can use one or both of its legacy outputs to feed the R15.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,723 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

If you get the SWM8 switch you can use one or both of its legacy outputs to feed the R15.

and still have the third one free. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   rdalrymple

rdalrymple

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

I know I can run up to 3 legacy tuners off the SWM8, but Beerstalker brings in the idea of running a legacy tuner straight off the SL3 LNB, without the SWM8. Will that work?

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,723 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

I know I can run up to 3 legacy tuners off the SWM8, but Beerstalker brings in the idea of running a legacy tuner straight off the SL3 LNB, without the SWM8. Will that work?

A non SWiM SL3, since it is a legacy LNB, will work fine for a non HD receiver/DVR.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall