Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD SWM Compatible Dish For RV

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

3 DVRs would be a problem though. The SL3 LNB only has 4 outputs, he would have to run 2 of the DVRs in single tuner mode, or get a WB68.

Or he could stick to his original plan and get a SWM8 which would allow Whole Home DVR to work if he ends up getting that.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   rdalrymple

rdalrymple

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:49 PM

A non SWiM SL3, since it is a legacy LNB, will work fine for a non HD receiver/DVR.

OK, this is something I hadn't considered, because I don't recall reading that this would work. I am talking about running both legacy and single wire HD receivers simultaneously off the same LNB. Can that be done without a multiswitch?

#43 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

You can run one line to each HD-DVR and DVR and they will work fine, you just have to set them to single tuner mode (you will only be able to record 1 channel at a time).

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by Single Wire HD Receivers?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

OK, this is something I hadn't considered, because I don't recall reading that this would work. I am talking about running both legacy and single wire HD receivers simultaneously off the same LNB. Can that be done without a multiswitch?

let's see if "we" understand the question.
The LNB has four outputs, so a DVR [2 outputs] and another 2 receivers can be connected without a switch. these can be a mix of HD & SD hardware.
When you need more than four, you need a switch, or to move to SWiM, which with the SWiMLNB, means all receivers must be able to support SWiM [not all SD do] and the limit is 8 tuners.
To mix and match SWiM & legacy, you need to use either a SWM8 or SWiM-16, which both have SWiM outputs & legacy outputs.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   rdalrymple

rdalrymple

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

To mix and match SWiM & legacy, you need to use either a SWM8 or SWiM-16, which both have SWiM outputs & legacy outputs.

This is what I thought. I guess I just didn't do a very good job asking my question.

The goal is to upgrade home to SWiM, and set up the RV so the HR** DVR's can be moved from home to RV, and back, without going through the receiver setup stuff. My wife will sometimes be the one doing this, and she will freak if she has to do more than plug it in and turn it on.

Both the home & the RV will also utilize legacy receivers in the system.

I think I need to go with a SL3 LNB & a SWM8 multiswitch on both the house and the RV. Beerstalker suggested I might not need the added expense of the SWM8 on the RV, but if I want to run the HR** DVR's on a single coax and have full functionality, I think I do.

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

This is what I thought. I guess I just didn't do a very good job asking my question.

The goal is to upgrade home to SWiM, and set up the RV so the HR** DVR's can be moved from home to RV, and back, without going through the receiver setup stuff. My wife will sometimes be the one doing this, and she will freak if she has to do more than plug it in and turn it on.

Both the home & the RV will also utilize legacy receivers in the system.

I think I need to go with a SL3 LNB & a SWM8 multiswitch on both the house and the RV. Beerstalker suggested I might not need the added expense of the SWM8 on the RV, but if I want to run the HR** DVR's on a single coax and have full functionality, I think I do.

For the WAF, both need to be SWiM.
I've gone from SWM8 to SWiMLNB without changing anything.
If you have no plans to have a legacy receiver with the RV, the SWiMLNB should work fine.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

He said earlier he sometimes hooks up an R15 to the RV setup, which I don't believe is SWM compatible, so wouldn't he need a SWM8 there too then?
-by Jack Handy

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

He said earlier he sometimes hooks up an R15 to the RV setup, which I don't believe is SWM compatible, so wouldn't he need a SWM8 there too then?

Yes the R-15 isn't a SWiM DVR, which was why I tried to "spell out" the options. ;)
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...