Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

7th annual Carmel satellite confab starts Wednesday

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 11:44 AM

MONTEREY, Calif. -- Direct broadcast satellite service providers have been making serious inroads against cable operators, but can cable be overtaken?

This and other questions about the industry will be tackled Wednesday and Thursday at the seventh annual Carmel Group Satellite Conference, set against a picturesque Northern California backdrop.

With some analysts giving the EchoStar plan to merge with Hughes only a 20 percent chance of getting federal approval, EchoStar Chairman Charlie Ergen and DirecTV Chairman Eddy Hartenstein will take center stage. They'll be part of a group discussion about the future of satellite broadcasting in general, but investors will be listening for their latest comments on the deal.

Hugh Panero, chief executive of XM Satellite Radio, and Joe Clayton, CEO of rival Sirius Satellite, will be on hand, along with keynote speaker Leo Hindery, former TCI chief and current president of George Steinbrenner's YES Network.

Full Story
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 02:12 PM

Hey sounds great. To me cable modems are a DBS killer. I'd turn my pizza dish into a planter tomorrow for a cool package deal on digital cable with a cable modem!
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 02:17 PM

I think many folks feel this way Lee. I love my cable modem.

Digital Cable could be a killer application but its not ready for primetime yet.

Almost all the Digital Boxed out there don't even have Dolby Digital outputs on them yet (even though the boxes have a Dolby Digital Logo on the front of them) No channels are carried on Digital Cable in Dolby Digital. The channels Digital Cable carries is all filler channels, but hey you do get 40 channels of PPV. And I didnt even mention HDTV. :)

spam firewall