Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-100 discontinued...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Was just told by a high level person @ DTV that the HR24-100 has been discontinued. The remaining versions will be the HR24-200 and the HR24-500.

I think I just spoke to the same CSR.

:D:D
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

I think I just spoke to the same CSR.

:D:D

I as not told by a CSR or a Supervisor or a Case Manager.

My info came from higher up and that is all I can say.

#28 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,180 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Exactly... so when people post reporting problems why waste bandwidth parroting mine works fine?

Because a couple of anecdotes (and even a few dozen) are an insignificant sample size when you're talking tens of thousands (or possibly hundreds of thousands) of units that work fine.

Such as mine. Like VOS's, it's around 2 years old and I haven't had the first issue with it. I don't use an eSATA with it, though I have used an AM21 with it without any issues. However, OTA in my area sucks without a big outdoor antenna so I disconnected it. For its primary purpose of recording satellite signals and playing them back, it's great.

So there - take that anecdote for what it's worth statistically (i.e., nothing), and remember it when you make broad sweeping generalizations about a single model based on a minuscule fraction of units in service. :nono:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#29 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

Because a couple of anecdotes (and even a few dozen) are an insignificant sample size when you're talking tens of thousands (or possibly hundreds of thousands) of units that work fine.

Such as mine. Like VOS's, it's around 2 years old and I haven't had the first issue with it. I don't use an eSATA with it, though I have used an AM21 with it without any issues. However, OTA in my area sucks without a big outdoor antenna so I disconnected it. For its primary purpose of recording satellite signals and playing them back, it's great.

So there - take that anecdote for what it's worth statistically (i.e., nothing), and remember it when you make broad sweeping generalizations about a single model based on a minuscule fraction of units in service. :nono:

:D The next thing you'll say is that your HR20s are screaming fast and that there must be something in my setup causing my HR22s to suck! Wait - I think we've been down that road...

Let's face the music - just because you think your receivers are top notch doesn't mean everyone has the same experience. And yes, that does go both ways... Just because my HR22s suck beyond belief doesn't mean there aren't people that think their HR22s are just peachy!

#30 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

:D The next thing you'll say is that your HR20s are screaming fast and that there must be something in my setup causing my HR22s to suck! Wait - I think we've been down that road...

My HR20-700 is just fine, and it's certainly faster than . . .

Let's face the music - just because you think your receivers are top notch doesn't mean everyone has the same experience. And yes, that does go both ways... Just because my HR22s suck beyond belief doesn't mean there aren't people that think their HR22s are just peachy!

My HR22-100 sucks donkey gonads although it's way faster than it used to be. It's also in a relatively low-use room so it does most of its duty as an unattended MRV server. Every tool has a place in the drawer . . .

Now, what this has to do with painting the HR24-500 with a broad brush of "FAIL", I certainly don't know. My HR24 is the most-used box in the house and works great, including the limited OTA I tested it with. I've never used an HR24-100 to compare.

But again, and back to the original point: "anecdote" ≠ "data." It's just one person's experience. Claiming that an entire line is a complete failure and unacceptable because some people have problems that they perceive to be associated with that model is unrealistic.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

Sorry - should have made those two separate posts! The :D was directed jokingly at you. The 2nd was for the group of people here that defend DirecTV at all costs - somehow thinking that if their receivers work that they all do. A very vocal few here just can't believe DirecTV can do anything wrong!

#32 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Not insignificant to the people with receivers that have problems.

The fact that there is an ample supply of refurbs sustains that there are receivers failing.

#33 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,330 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

The fact that there is an ample supply of refurbs sustains that there are receivers failing.

That's ridiculous. A refurb doesn't mean it failed. People cancel service and even remove unneeded boxes everyday that must be sent back and those are refurbs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

• Registered
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

That's ridiculous. A refurb doesn't mean it failed. People cancel service and even remove unneeded boxes everyday that must be sent back and those are refurbs.

In fact, my going-on-five years old HR20-700 (mentioned above) is about to go into the "Refurb" lot not because it's causing any trouble, but because I have an H24 for that location that will be smaller, quieter, use less power and can draw on excess recording capacity in other locations in my house for any recorded viewing necessary. That HR20 has been with me since my upgrade to HD in 2006 and is working fine. I just don't need it and don't need to keep paying a lease fee on it.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

What is your eSATA setup?

Rich

I've used both a TT dock and a Vantec NexStar CX case (http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001TQ2PSO) with a WD20EADS and have had no problems. I switched from the dock to the NexStar only because I wanted the doc for my MacMini.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

I as not told by a CSR or a Supervisor or a Case Manager.

My info came from higher up and that is all I can say.

Your source is wrong .. The HR24-100 is not discontinued.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,512 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

Edit: I'm not dismissing that there's issues.

I can't get past the fact that three of my 500s had the same issues, one after another. That defies logic. And I know you appreciate logic. And then to solve the problem by just bypassing the external option and installing the same model of HDD internally in the last 500 (I wasn't about to send that back without trying to fix it) tells me that it must have been either an incompatibility with the TTs or the EVDS drives (all of which are now running without problems on 20-700s) or the 500s. I gotta think it was the 500s. Nothing else makes sense to me. And I don't think I'm alone. I've really got nothing else bad to say about the 500s, I like them.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,512 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

I think it's pretty clear things work more often than they fail. :)

I'll wholeheartedly agree with that. I've seen so many posts about 20-100s working well and liked by the users and it still baffles me why I could never get one to work....:nono2:

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,512 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Mike, why do you still torture yourself (and your kids) with those 22s?....:lol:

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,512 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

I've used both a TT dock and a Vantec NexStar CX case (http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001TQ2PSO) with a WD20EADS and have had no problems. I switched from the dock to the NexStar only because I wanted the doc for my MacMini.

Huh. Don't know what to say to that. I never tried an EADS on the 500s, just a couple EVDS HDDs. Maybe it was the EVDS, but it's sure working well internally.

But to have it happen with three 500s, one right after the other is strange, no? And I know there's nothing wrong with the EVDS drives, I'm using them in TT docks on 20-700s. Now I wish I had an EADS to try on the 500 externally.

Rich

#41 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Mike, why do you still torture yourself (and your kids) with those 22s?....:lol:

Rich

Thankfully I never touch the things other than to see if DirecTV has fixed them. (apparently not!) I use them to torture the kids, ah, I mean to teach the kids patients! If they can learn to live with those things without turning to violence they can learn to deal with anything!:lol:

#42 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thankfully I never touch the things other than to see if DirecTV has fixed them. (apparently not!) I use them to torture the kids, ah, I mean to teach the kids patients! If they can learn to live with those things without turning to violence they can learn to deal with anything!:lol:

Kids are resilient .. They'll be happy soon enough .. :P

I'm sure they're happy now
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

Kids are resilient .. They'll be happy soon enough .. :P

I'm sure they're happy now

Darn kids anyway!:)

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,512 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

Man, that's just cruel....:lol:

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

I can't get past the fact that three of my 500s had the same issues, one after another. That defies logic. And I know you appreciate logic. And then to solve the problem by just bypassing the external option and installing the same model of HDD internally in the last 500 (I wasn't about to send that back without trying to fix it) tells me that it must have been either an incompatibility with the TTs or the EVDS drives (all of which are now running without problems on 20-700s) or the 500s. I gotta think it was the 500s. Nothing else makes sense to me. And I don't think I'm alone. I've really got nothing else bad to say about the 500s, I like them.

Rich

You had the same rock solid "conclusion" that ALL HR20-100s were junk too...until it was discovered that your installation was crap. ;)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,512 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

You had the same rock solid "conclusion" that ALL HR20-100s were junk too...until it was discovered that your installation was crap. ;)

Still haven't had one that worked tho. Even after the installation was fixed. My 24-100 is working tho. Nothing wrong with my system now. No reason I can see for three consecutive 500s to do have the same issues. And then to solve the problem by putting the large HDD internally gives me pause to wonder exactly what the original problem was caused by.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...