Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 Internal Hard drive replacement 5400RPM VS 7200 RPM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hi

I'm new to this forum :)

Thanks to this forum I went home last night and open my "owned" HR24 (wink, wink) ;) and I change the hard drive with a 2 TB WD green (5400 RPM) and it worked just as some of you guys mentioned :).

Now I really didn't have time to do a lot of testing, I'm not 100% sure of this but I think I may have notice a little bit of a delay in respond time.

Should I buy a 2 TB 72000 RPM since that is where the operating system will be running just to make sure the respond time is as fast as it can be?

Thanks

Alex

Edited by QBA, 30 June 2011 - 08:01 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

I dont think it matters a lot on the video, but *might* make rebooting faster, and possibly the indexing of the program guide. No way to really tell except to try it. Just be careful, since they generally run hotter than the WD green drives, and you dont want the DVR to overheat.

What does make some difference is the size of the cache buffer.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the reply Davenlr,

So people on this forum, usually replace the internal hd with a 5400rpm or 7200rpm?

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

Most use the WD drives. I am actually planning on trying a Seagate 7200rpm barracuda this summer when I have some time, if for any other reason, to see what, if any, difference it makes.'

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

I dont think it matters a lot on the video, but *might* make rebooting faster, and possibly the indexing of the program guide. No way to really tell except to try it. Just be careful, since they generally run hotter than the WD green drives, and you dont want the DVR to overheat.

What does make some difference is the size of the cache buffer.

Key point.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

Yeah I agree with Davenlr's point as well, I do not worry about the video play back, I just want a quick remote response as I use the interface.

#7 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

I can't find it now but I read yesterday in this forum by some one with the user bane "Sim-X", that he was able to use two 2TB hard drives in his HR24?

I guess is on 2TB internally and another connected to the external Sata right?

Isn't 2TB the maximum capacity for the internal hard drive of the HR24? Or can I put a 3TB one in there?

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I can't find it now but I read yesterday in this forum by some one with the user bane "Sim-X", that he was able to use two 2TB hard drives in his HR24?

I guess is on 2TB internally and another connected to the external Sata right?

Isn't 2TB the maximum capacity for the internal hard drive of the HR24? Or can I put a 3TB one in there?

Yes, there can be an internal drive and an external drive, but the HR24 will only use one drive at a time.

2TB is currently the maximum storage size supported.

#9 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply hdtvfan0001,

What do you mean by "but the HR24 will only use one drive at a time."?

If I connect another 2TB in the external sata, the box will only use the external rather than both?

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply hdtvfan0001,

What do you mean by "but the HR24 will only use one drive at a time."?

If I connect another 2TB in the external sata, the box will only use the external rather than both?

Correct.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

I dont believe they are using 7200rpm drives in them from the factory anyway, and by going to a 7200 rpm drive, all you'll do is cause it to run warmer.

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

I didn't think the software resided on the HDD.

#13 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply CCarncross,

I was looking at the factory hard driver yesterday and I couldn't find the RPMs. I will look online for the model number and if is 5400 as you suggested, I won't install a 7200 rpm one.

#14 OFFLINE   QBA

QBA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply hilmar2k,

I'm not sure but base on the time that it took to install, plus the fact that it was downloading something, my guess was that the .exe file live withing the mother board and once a new hard drive is detected it will execute the install into it, but again this is just a guess.

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

There is no software on the drives. It is all stored in flash.

So the only performance improvements will come from the database activities and as much as possible that is run from memory if I understand things correctly.

I've pretty much stuck with the WD green AV models. I did put one 7200RPM in an HR21-Pro since it has the extra fan capacity to handle that heat load. I would not put one in any other unit for a couple reasons. I didn't really see any performance improvements and no other unit has fan capacity that I can be absolutely certain can handle the load. They might--but I don't want to try it. :)

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'm closing this thread, and giving the reason publicly.

"Owned (wink wink)" does not fly on this forum. If you own your device, then you are free to do with it as you please. If you do not, then you're not.

The issue is in "wink wink" admitting that one does not own his DVR. If you say you own it, I'll believe you, but if you "wink wink" me I'll know you're trying to include me, and this forum, as an accomplice in violation of your customer agreement.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 30 June 2011 - 12:53 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall