Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can high heat affect signal strength?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Here in Fargo today we are approaching 100 degrees of actual heat and 110 degrees on the heat index. By coincidence, despite the fact that it is sunny, my signal readings are in the toilet. The 101 sat which usually reads high 80s to perfect 100s is reading mid 60s to mid 80s, and every other sat is anywhere from the high 30s to low 80s depending on the transponder. I am wondering if the high heat could be a factor. I don't remember it getting this hot at all last summer, and aside from rain fade lately due to unusually heavy rains my signal has been solid ever since it was installed in January of '10.

Could the heat be the reason? Some kind of LNB issue with heat, or maybe some other heat expansion of the dish parts or the roof itself? I dont like watching baseball games and seeing the signal flicker for a second every few minutes.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

It will have no effect unless you have a fault somewhere. A badly-made connection could be affected by the expansion that you get in hot conditions, or you could have a heat-sensitive LNB.

#3 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

I agree with Texasbrit, except that high heat might change the signal strength by one or two points (but not more than a couple of points.)
my statement is based on the fact that you might get a tiny bit of metal expansion.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

I can't speak for Arizonians.... but they have cities like Phoenix that live through 110-120 degree heat sometimes for WEEKS at a time. I don't believe the heat by itself would have an effect.... just like -30 cold would not. (Ice, snow sure.... but not necessarily the cold itself).

That said, Arizona is a very DRY heat, where in Fargo.... the humidity factor is probably extreme, so there could be condensation somewhere were it shouldn't be, such as exposed wire-ends etc.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

Here in Fargo today we are approaching 100 degrees of actual heat and 110 degrees on the heat index. By coincidence, despite the fact that it is sunny, my signal readings are in the toilet. The 101 sat which usually reads high 80s to perfect 100s is reading mid 60s to mid 80s, and every other sat is anywhere from the high 30s to low 80s depending on the transponder. I am wondering if the high heat could be a factor. I don't remember it getting this hot at all last summer, and aside from rain fade lately due to unusually heavy rains my signal has been solid ever since it was installed in January of '10.

Could the heat be the reason? Some kind of LNB issue with heat, or maybe some other heat expansion of the dish parts or the roof itself? I dont like watching baseball games and seeing the signal flicker for a second every few minutes.

I'm in northwest Illinois and currently have very similar weather/temperature conditions with temperatures in the 95+ range and lots of humidity. Out of curiosity, I just checked my signal levels. For the 101, 110, and 117 satellites, signal levels seem about normal with most transponders running between 95 and 100. For the 99 and 103 satellites, signal levels might be a point or two lower than normal and running from the high 80s to the mid 90s, but, even there, I'm not sure whether there might be slightly lower signal levels because of temperature or, perhaps, because of the haze in the atmosphere, which does affect the Ka signals more than the Ku signals.

As others have said, expansion of metal parts (or haze) might have a minor impact on signal levels, but it shouldn't be to the extent that you are describing.

#6 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Well thats lovely, so I either have to fork out some cash to ask a tech to come out, or hope that my reciever reports low signal consistently enough that I get one of those "Youve got low signal, would you like a free tech visit" calls.

And my car broke down today. This is just effing perfect.

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

We have heat indexes over 100 posted for tomorrow (7/1) here in SE Wisconsin also. But in my prior experience with DirecTV the only thing that affects a PROPERLY INSTALLED/AIMED SATELLITE DISH is heavy rain and/or ice & snow.

There were some defective LNB's out there I recall that went belly up in the cold, but I can't recall any producing reduced output in high temperatures.

More likely, a reduction in signal strength could be due to the receiver if it is overheated in a non-air conditioned home or even worse locked in an unventilated cabinet. That would be easy to determine by "checking it's temperature" from the system setup/info & test menu.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   mini1

mini1

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

I'm seeing the same signal strength no matter the temp here in S. FL. It can be 110° in the sun during the day and I'm still 95-100 on 101 and 93-99 on 99/103. The only thing that knocks down the numbers or makes the signal drop out is a heavy rain cloud/monsoon rainstorm over the Southwest sky.

Your dish may have been thrown out of alignment.

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

LNB, possibly but unlikely.
I'd put my money on whatever it's attached too expanding (moving) ever so slightly in the high heat or the reflector is partially shaded and the difference is causing it to warp a little bit.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

Well, for what its worth I checked everything just now at 5 am and all the signals are normal again. I doubt its the reciever overheating cause the a/c had been on all day and its right by the TV, not in a cabinet or anything. But I will keep investigating. I hope I dont have to pay to have my dish redone.

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

Just to add to the data - here in DFW it has been at 99-102 every day for weeks and there has been no change in my signal levels.

#12 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

Avder. What does it do when it's -20, same thing?

#13 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

am wondering about loose mount or flexing.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#14 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Avder. What does it do when it's -20, same thing?

Didnt lose signal once at all last winter or the winter before that, not even during a blizzard.

am wondering about loose mount or flexing.

Might be. Right now the signal loss is tolerable. I'm going to wait and see if it becomes intolerable before I get some kind of call because my receiver keeps reporting bad signal.

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

I've never had problems in the summer myself. I would think theoretically, rapidly rising air in front of the dish could diffuse signals but I doubt it would really account for more than a 1 or 2 point drop.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Echoing what someone else said. We had 118 degrees in Phoenix yesterday — no problem with DirecTV. If any of those services suffered with high temperatures, they wouldn't last one season here in the desert.

Peace,
Gene

#17 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Well today I'm losing signal like crazy so I went outside and looked at the dish and then looked around and saw something I never saw before...a big fricking tree in my neighbors yard that I think is getting in the way. So I think the tree is the problem. I don't know if its something that they just put in or if its something that's grown into the beam just this year, but I am convinced I need to get my dish repositioned now.

Is there any way I can get a free tech visit and dish relocation out of this? Aren't installers supposed to ensure X amount of years before trees or whatever grow and get in the dish's way?

#18 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

I think they are required to check LOS at time of install, not for years later.
Trees are specifically excluded.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#19 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

Heat is one of the major enemies of electronics but most electronic equipment (such as satellite equipment) is most often designed and tested for extreme conditions (down to at least -20 degs F and up to at least 120 degs F at least). I know because I am an Electrical Engineer. I would check all coax connections, dish connection to your home, etc.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#20 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

I think they are required to check LOS at time of install, not for years later.
Trees are specifically excluded.

I thought they were supposed to place it so it would be at least two years before any growth got in the way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...