Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can high heat affect signal strength?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

I thought they were supposed to place it so it would be at least two years before any growth got in the way.

How's a satellite installer supposed to predict tree growth rate? :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

How's a satellite installer supposed to predict tree growth rate? :lol:

You know you could offer some legitimate advice instead of just laughing at me.

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

You know you could offer some legitimate advice instead of just laughing at me.

I wasn't laughing AT you...I was laughing at the idea that a satellite installer could predict 2 year tree growth.
Call DirecTV and ask them to come out. Better?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Well today I'm losing signal like crazy so I went outside and looked at the dish and then looked around and saw something I never saw before...a big fricking tree in my neighbors yard that I think is getting in the way. So I think the tree is the problem. I don't know if its something that they just put in or if its something that's grown into the beam just this year, but I am convinced I need to get my dish repositioned now.

Is there any way I can get a free tech visit and dish relocation out of this? Aren't installers supposed to ensure X amount of years before trees or whatever grow and get in the dish's way?

Could be the leaves are blocking reception. Or the tree is leaning more than before.

Or unlike Phoenix, in Fargo you can go from extreme cold to extreme heat. Big swings in temperatures can break down materials and cause things to corrode faster. I realize Phoenix gets cold, but not as Cold as Fargo, and Fargo it could be 20 degree one week and than in the 90's/100s the next week. So just because dish operates fine in Phoenix heat, doesn't rule out that extreme temperature changes in Fargo can cause disruptions of signal level.
It's only tv!

#25 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

I wasn't laughing AT you...I was laughing at the idea that a satellite installer could predict 2 year tree growth.
Call DirecTV and ask them to come out. Better?

Is there any way to ask them to come out and not end up with a several hundred dollar bill to have the dish relocated to another spot tho?

I'm kind of broke lately.

#26 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

well you have to call and ask them.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#27 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Is there any way to ask them to come out and not end up with a several hundred dollar bill to have the dish relocated to another spot tho?

I'm kind of broke lately.

Times are tough, so maybe they'll work with you. I take it that you don't have the Protection Plan?

#28 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Times are tough, so maybe they'll work with you. I take it that you don't have the Protection Plan?

Nope. All my receivers are leased, so it never even came to mind.

#29 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Also, since heat has basically been ruled out, could a mod, add something like "It was a tree all along" to the title of this thread or something?

#30 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

a relocate will only cost u $49

#31 OFFLINE   CrazyHeartz

CrazyHeartz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

You can still add the Protection Plan, and the service call will be waived for the sfss. It if turns out to be a line of sight problem, I am sure that D** will work with you. You won't be billed for the Protection Plan for 30 days, so no funds immediately out of pocket. :-)

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Heat is one of the major enemies of electronics but most electronic equipment (such as satellite equipment) is most often designed and tested for extreme conditions (down to at least -20 degs F and up to at least 120 degs F at least). I know because I am an Electrical Engineer. I would check all coax connections, dish connection to your home, etc.

If you work for CE, then you should know hand handled devices (PDA, smartphones, eBooks) usually tested in env. chambers up to 50 degree C and 95% humidity. Lower range usually depend of a components, Li-Ion battery cannot go to freezing temp.

#33 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

I feel your pain. My signal strengths go from 97 to 0 and back. I am getting pixelation and 771 on both locals and nationals, HD and SD. D has been out here once, and repaired a loose connection, but it is back again. This situation comes and goes, but it happens on all 4 of my HD DVR's. I do have the protection plan, so there is no cost to me (unless you count the time...you know 8-12 means 1:15....or the aggravation of going to watch a recorded program (I watch nothing live except news or sporting events) only to see a partial recording or a recording that is closer to a slide show. Anyway, any ideas? D is coming back out next Friday, but I would accept any advice. TIA.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#34 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

So it sounds like my best option is to add the protection plan and then ask for them to come look at a line of sight issue.

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

Yeah. And get chainsaw ready :).

#36 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

I feel your pain. My signal strengths go from 97 to 0 and back. I am getting pixelation and 771 on both locals and nationals, HD and SD. D has been out here once, and repaired a loose connection, but it is back again. This situation comes and goes, but it happens on all 4 of my HD DVR's. I do have the protection plan, so there is no cost to me (unless you count the time...you know 8-12 means 1:15....or the aggravation of going to watch a recorded program (I watch nothing live except news or sporting events) only to see a partial recording or a recording that is closer to a slide show. Anyway, any ideas? D is coming back out next Friday, but I would accept any advice. TIA.

Since it is common to all receivers, It could be the LNB or a bad cable, not just a bad connector.

#37 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Yeah. And get chainsaw ready :).

Its the top of my neighbors tree. I'm not doing anything illegal, and if I did, it sure wouldnt be that loud.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

You could ask his permission ...

#39 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'm not quite sure how hot/cold or day/night is going to make a difference with a tree. :confused:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

So it sounds like my best option is to add the protection plan and then ask for them to come look at a line of sight issue.

Amazing how many folks see no need for the Protection Plan until...

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...