Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can high heat affect signal strength?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Is there any way I can get a free tech visit and dish relocation out of this? Aren't installers supposed to ensure X amount of years before trees or whatever grow and get in the dish's way?

No. The installer is not there to "guesstimate" the growth rate of a certain tree. Your neighbor could have planted a fast growing tree a few days before install, and some trees can grow up to 10 to 15 feet per year.

They only have to get LOS at the time of the install. If nature gets in the way 3 years later because something grew, its all on you.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

So how soon after I add the protection plan do you guys think I should call them?

#43 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

So how soon after I add the protection plan do you guys think I should call them?

If it was my system, I'd take a different approach.

I'd call DIRECTV and use the automated system to ask for tech support. I would then tell them that my signal levels are fluctuating and go through whatever troubleshooting hoops that they make you go through. Since I am not 100% certain, from what you have said, that the problem is a line of sight issue, I wouldn't even mention anything about trees. If you do this, there is a very good chance that they will set up a truck roll for you at no cost even without the protection plan. They have done so for me, and, if your account is in good standing, chances are very good that they will do so for you.

On the other hand, the approach that you are currently considering doesn't seem to me to be the best. You are considering signing up for the protection plan and committing yourself to one year of the protection plan and at least $84 in protection plan charges to avoid a service call that might well be free but that, at worst, is going to cost you $49. And, while you are delaying in calling them, you are continuing to add days when you are not getting the full benefit of the programming for which you are paying.

Also, if you want to make a rough check on your own to confirm whether or not line of sight is the problem, take a yardstick to the dish. Place one end of the yardstick at the base of the dish where the LNB arm is attached, and rest the other end of the yardstick on top of the array of LNBs. This will not give a perfect indication of your pointing, but it will give a rough approximation. As you look toward the direction that the top of the yardstick is pointing and if there are no obstructions in the arc between 99 and 103 degrees, it is unlikely that pointing is your issue.

#44 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

If it was my system, I'd take a different approach.

I'd call DIRECTV and use the automated system to ask for tech support. I would then tell them that my signal levels are fluctuating and go through whatever troubleshooting hoops that they make you go through. Since I am not 100% certain, from what you have said, that the problem is a line of sight issue, I wouldn't even mention anything about trees. If you do this, there is a very good chance that they will set up a truck roll for you at no cost even without the protection plan. They have done so for me, and, if your account is in good standing, chances are very good that they will do so for you.

On the other hand, the approach that you are currently considering doesn't seem to me to be the best. You are considering signing up for the protection plan and committing yourself to one year of the protection plan and at least $84 in protection plan charges to avoid a service call that might well be free but that, at worst, is going to cost you $49. And, while you are delaying in calling them, you are continuing to add days when you are not getting the full benefit of the programming for which you are paying.

Also, if you want to make a rough check on your own to confirm whether or not line of sight is the problem, take a yardstick to the dish. Place one end of the yardstick at the base of the dish where the LNB arm is attached, and rest the other end of the yardstick on top of the array of LNBs. This will not give a perfect indication of your pointing, but it will give a rough approximation. As you look toward the direction that the top of the yardstick is pointing and if there are no obstructions in the arc between 99 and 103 degrees, it is unlikely that pointing is your issue.

Good plan. I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the detailed post!

#45 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I finally got a tech to come out to look at this, and the first thing he said when I opened the door is "your neighbors tree is in the way".

He moved the dish close to the apex of my roof. No idea how long that will keep said tree from getting in the way, since when I had it installed 18 months ago it wasn't a problem.

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

Talk to an owner of the tree - perhaps you could trim it in your favor ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...