Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need to get video off dead R15

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BoJatey

BoJatey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

My r15 receiver went out and I need to burn some recordings that are left on the hard drive. I took out the hard drive and put it in the new receiver Directv sent and it booted fine and I brought up the recordings list but when I hit play it came back "access card invalid". I'm assuming its because I recorded these with the old card. Someone told me the drives are software coded to match the receiver and I don't need the card to access the list. Thought about external enclosure for the drive to give it power and connection but USB ports aren't active. On the HD receivers there is an ESATA port that would probably work but I have to upgrade to HD to get one. There are multimedia drives for sale that when you hook up to USB the software with it activates the USB ports. So my question is "How can I make the USB ports active?" or "What's the easiest way to access my recordings?"

Edited by BoJatey, 30 June 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

Unfortunately, the recordings are tied to the receiver ID #. So, short of getting your old box operationaly, your recordings are lost to the ether.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   BoJatey

BoJatey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

Unfortunately, the recordings are tied to the receiver ID #. So, short of getting your old box operationaly, your recordings are lost to the ether.

I would do that but can't find an authorized service center anywhere.

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

I would do that but can't find an authorized service center anywhere.

That's because there aren't any and chances are your receivers are leased anyways so doing what you're doing is against the ToS. At this point your recordings are gone.

#5 OFFLINE   BoJatey

BoJatey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

So if I upgrade to HD and put the drive in an external sata to esata enclosure and run it through the esata port on the HD receiver, it won't read the drive?

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

So if I upgrade to HD and put the drive in an external sata to esata enclosure and run it through the esata port on the HD receiver, it won't read the drive?

No you cannot take drives and swap them around receivers. It doesn't work that way with DIRECTV.

#7 OFFLINE   BoJatey

BoJatey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Look man, I'm not doing a bunch of illegal stuff here. The receiver is mine bought and paid for along with the hard drive. Yeah, I put it in the new one, which violates TOS but the video is on a hard drive which belongs to me. The multimedia drives they are selling comes with software that activates the usb's on an r15 and if that is illegal they wouldn't be selling them. I'll find a way.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

Look man, I'm not doing a bunch of illegal stuff here. The receiver is mine bought and paid for along with the hard drive. Yeah, I put it in the new one, which violates TOS but the video is on a hard drive which belongs to me. The multimedia drives they are selling comes with software that activates the usb's on an r15 and if that is illegal they wouldn't be selling them. I'll find a way.

What you don't understand is that you cannot take a recording from one dvr and use another dvr to view it. They have encryption that doesn't allow it. That's why you get those messages. I'm not even talking about the video part, which technically you will never own, because it doesn't matter.

You cannot take recordings from one DVR and use another DVR to view them. DIRECTV doesn't allow it and that's the bottom line so nothing you do is going to work. I'm just telling you how it is but my guess is you'll have to find out the hard way.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

Unfortunately, you won't find a way. The recordings are encrypted and associated with the specific receiver. There is no way to recover those recordings without getting the original R15 operational. Even the e-sata drives supported by the HD DVRs cannot be moved from one DVR to another. SD or HD, R15, R16, HR20/21/22/23/24, internal or external drive, does not matter. A recording can only be played back on the machine it was originally recorded on.

What type of failure does your original DVR have? Assuming you have owned receivers and are sufficiently skilled in electronic repair, you could move power supply or other component from a working unit to your defective unit to try and repair. That is the only way you will recover the recordings. One other possibility is if the drive itself is the problem, you might be able to clone from the bad drive to a new drive and put that into the original DVR. I'm not recommending any of these actions, only noting they are the only way you have to try and recover the original recordings.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

You have only one chance to play your records again - fix the broken DVR.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:03 AM

You're just not getting it. That drive is only readable in the DVR they were recorded on...thats it, end of story. The drive is encrypted, and in the 5 years or more since the D* branded models have come out, noone has reported successfully circumventing it.

#12 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

You're just not getting it. That drive is only readable in the DVR they were recorded on...thats it, end of story. The drive is encrypted, and in the 5 years or more since the D* branded models have come out, noone has reported successfully circumventing it.

I'm sure someone has cracked the Directv encryption, but if they are smart (and they are) no one knows about it. As for the OP as many have said you are SOL, you have to fix your org r-15 to see the recordings, other than that you are screwed!
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

How much did you pay for your R15? If you paid $99. you did not buy it, you initiated a lease and the DVR is DirecTV's property.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

spam firewall