Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling questions on 722K

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dontech

dontech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

I am thinking of getting a sling box for my 722k through Dish. Couple of questions. I don't have an internet connection to my 722K right now. If I get a wireless adapter through Dish, I think it connects to the USB port on the 722K. The sling box also needs a USB connection. Would I need a hub to go to the one port on the 722K?

Also, once everything works, can I use my blackberry outside to check signal strength when tweaking the dish?
Thanks for your guidance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

I don't have an internet connection to my 722K right now. If I get a wireless adapter through Dish, I think it connects to the USB port on the 722K. The sling box also needs a USB connection. Would I need a hub to go to the one port on the 722K?

You can use a USB hub or the other USB port (there are USB ports in front and back).

Also, once everything works, can I use my blackberry outside to check signal strength when tweaking the dish?

You could try it but it would be easier to turn up your sound system volume. I question that you would be able to read the meter on a smaller-screened Blackberry which would relegate it to being a remote speaker for this purpose. Note that you need to let the streaming stabilize to take out any timing delay as the Sling adapter buffers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

...can I use my blackberry outside to check signal strength when tweaking the dish?

No. You can only watch live channels or recordings via sling adapter. You can't get to the menus. However, you could do it with a regular sling box. In any case, I think it's a great idea.

#4 OFFLINE   dkdesantis

dkdesantis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

I use a net zero power hub and that plugs into the ethernet input. My sling adapter plugs into the usb. Oh and it works great.

#5 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

Wow great idea on the slingbox and tweaking your dish. Never thought of that.

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

See, you learned something today. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yes, yes i did. Now just to figure out if my wifi can reach my shed in the back yard where my dish is!

#8 OFFLINE   TreborG2

TreborG2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Yes, yes i did. Now just to figure out if my wifi can reach my shed in the back yard where my dish is!

Try this ... http://www.freeanten...jects/template/ it can increase your range.

The way I use to aim for better signal on my older dish (500DP) I would use my cordless phones ... they can intercom each other .. so call one handset from the other... set one handset down in front of the tv speaker, the other outside with me :)

spam firewall