Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Awake (New NBC Show)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

This looks really intriguing.

CfPVoiQKFvk
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for posting, sigma! Definitely worth a look. According to this, it may be used as a mid-season replacement.

Edited by Steve, 01 July 2011 - 05:53 PM.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

British actor Jason Isaacs was really great doing the Whitey Bulger based character in Brotherhood and looks good in this. However I really don't see anything original here. Will give it a try though.

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Looks interesting, I'll be giving it a shot. I do fear though, that it will be a bit too deep for our current attention spans.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

Seems like the kind of show that I would like, only to then have it cancelled. Best shows on TV keep getting cancelled (Chicago Code, for example).

Looks really interesting and I will definitely check it out.

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Sounded good until I got to the Alyssa Milano part. I think I'll pass. Too much history.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,441 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Looks very cool.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Too cerebral for NBC. I can't see it make it much beyond the pilot. 8-10 shows with the last ones in a throw away timeslot?

It reminds me of other failed NBC series.

#9 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this show, it looks like a winner but where talking about NBC here, so I am going to have to pass on a show that looks great because NBC has killed too many other shows that have had great potential over the past few years.

And after FOX killing off The Chicago Code this season, I'm done with investing my time in great programming only for it to be cancelled.

My new theme going forward with new shows from Network TV is wait and see, then if it makes it, get it via NetFlix or Amazon VOD.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this show, it looks like a winner but where talking about NBC here, so I am going to have to pass on a show that looks great because NBC has killed too many other shows that have had great potential over the past few years.

And after FOX killing off The Chicago Code this season, I'm done with investing my time in great programming only for it to be cancelled.

My new theme going forward with new shows from Network TV is wait and see, then if it makes it, get it via NetFlix or Amazon VOD.

You could at least record it, like I will, and wait to see if it is cancelled or not. That's what I've been doing with new shows for the past few years. I'll record it but not start watching unless it's a "big hit", real hit not claimed a hit by the network it's on, or it's gone a whole season and gets a second season.

Yes, I did break my rules on "The Event" and got burnt but curiosity got the best of me. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

I don't get the whole investing my time thing?

"I'm done with investing my time in great programming only for it to be cancelled."
Since all shows end up being cancelled sooner or later you never watch great programming? :)You settle for Mediocre programming so you won't care when it gets cancelled? :D

I watch a show, if the episode is good I watch it, if that episode is bad I skip it.

I started watching leverage last summer, it had been running for a while. That didn't bother me as each episode is complete. Later when it had ended its new episode runs I found the older ones and watched them. If I hadn't found them I'd of watched something else, no biggie.

Same with the Closer, I started watching it last year and when it ended the current run I found the rest and watched them.

Every show will end sooner or later, I either enjoy them or don't enjoy based on content not how long they'll be around.

I started watching the one where the Jet crashes on an Island the first year, it went weird so I stopped watching it.

The only thing I do not watch is Cliffhangers at seasons end. I record them and then when the first episode of the new season is safely recorded then I watch them in order.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Yes, I did break my rules on "The Event" and got burnt but curiosity got the best of me. :lol:

If the show is interesting I'll watch anyways ... but the disappointment of having new favorites go away adds up.

I don't get the whole investing my time thing?

"I'm done with investing my time in great programming only for it to be cancelled."

Very few wrap up nicely ... the shows just dump the viewers. I don't like being dumped.

Think of these new drama shows as novels. The first chapter catches your attention and introduces most characters. Then as you work your way through the book you find out things you didn't know about the characters and deeper revelations about the plot. The story arc continues toward the end of the book and comes to a nice conclusion.

Now look at a cancelled show as an incomplete novel. You have read the first few chapters and are really interested in the story and the characters then you lose the book ... and there is NO WHERE that you can go to find the end of the story. No resolve.

A sitcom being cancelled doesn't have that problem ... 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Outsourced, S#!t My Dad Says, Scrubs, My Name Is Earl ... shows that could be popular but you can miss an episode without missing much. They are not quite at the level of no character/plot development where you could play the episodes in any order you want - but if they make more fine, if they don't fine. There is no end to the novel on those shows.

A cancelled show with a good run gets to wrap. Medium was cancelled, restarted on a new network and finally ended. A complete novel. Pushing Daisies modified their final shows to try to wrap up the plot and ended with a brief "if we were allowed to finish the story here is where we were going with it" segment as a wrap.

But far too many shows are pulled with no ending. The network simply rips the last chapters out of the book and the viewers are abandoned. After a long lead in of hype that this will be the best show ever and getting you interested you're abandoned.

And that is the investment that can be too much. Who wants to read half a novel?

#13 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

You could at least record it, like I will, and wait to see if it is cancelled or not. That's what I've been doing with new shows for the past few years. I'll record it but not start watching unless it's a "big hit", real hit not claimed a hit by the network it's on, or it's gone a whole season and gets a second season.

I can only record 2 things at once and lots of times their both filled, I have never recorded a whole season of anything without watching it. I will have to make space on my DVR and try your idea:)

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

If the show is interesting I'll watch anyways ... but the disappointment of having new favorites go away adds up.

Very few wrap up nicely ... the shows just dump the viewers. I don't like being dumped.

Think of these new drama shows as novels. The first chapter catches your attention and introduces most characters. Then as you work your way through the book you find out things you didn't know about the characters and deeper revelations about the plot. The story arc continues toward the end of the book and comes to a nice conclusion.

Now look at a cancelled show as an incomplete novel. You have read the first few chapters and are really interested in the story and the characters then you lose the book ... and there is NO WHERE that you can go to find the end of the story. No resolve.

A sitcom being cancelled doesn't have that problem ... 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Outsourced, S#!t My Dad Says, Scrubs, My Name Is Earl ... shows that could be popular but you can miss an episode without missing much. They are not quite at the level of no character/plot development where you could play the episodes in any order you want - but if they make more fine, if they don't fine. There is no end to the novel on those shows.

A cancelled show with a good run gets to wrap. Medium was cancelled, restarted on a new network and finally ended. A complete novel. Pushing Daisies modified their final shows to try to wrap up the plot and ended with a brief "if we were allowed to finish the story here is where we were going with it" segment as a wrap.

But far too many shows are pulled with no ending. The network simply rips the last chapters out of the book and the viewers are abandoned. After a long lead in of hype that this will be the best show ever and getting you interested you're abandoned.

And that is the investment that can be too much. Who wants to read half a novel?

Thanks for wording it brilliantly like that, you typed what I should have, and you have also felt the mind numbness of great TV stories ending with out conclusion.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

I can only record 2 things at once and lots of times their both filled, I have never recorded a whole season of anything without watching it. I will have to make space on my DVR and try your idea:)

heh, yeah I tend to forget others may not have as many DVRs as I have or as much recording space. I can record 12 things at once and the smallest drive I have in any DVR is 1TB with most being 2TB. :D

Yes, it is an addiction and not something I try to flaunt. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

heh, yeah I tend to forget others may not have as many DVRs as I have or as much recording space. I can record 12 things at once and the smallest drive I have in any DVR is 1TB with most being 2TB. :D

Yes, it is an addiction and not something I try to flaunt. :lol:

Wow, I think I have DVR envy :lol:

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#17 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

I will watch the pilot. But I about fell asleep during the trailer.

When?

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Series Premiere Mar 1 Thursdays 10/9c ...

They have the first full episode available on the web.
http://www.nbc.com/awake/

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm in.

I watched the trailer and, tho' I usually don't care for flashbacks, I am optimistic about the chances of success for "Awake". There is only so much tv I can watch, but this looks like a solid hit. I will not deny myself the pleasure of a good, interesting series just because of the possibility of premature cancellation.

Carrying this thread's prevailing logic to the extreme, no one would ever watch any new show and all new shows would fail. In politics, they say every vote counts. It's the same in tv ratings -- every viewer counts (at least according to Nielsen). With over 200 channels, plus IPTV sucking at the eyes of viewers, combined with the notorious infidelity of network programming executives, it's extremely tough for any new show to succeed, no matter how great its potential.

For those who withhold support of a new show out of concern (fear) of being abandoned mid-series, take a chance and just start watching. Don't leave it up to others to decide what you are, or are not going to watch.

Be a lion, not a lemming! "Watch it and they will come." :sure:

Edited by Nick, 17 February 2012 - 11:27 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Just watched the Pilot last night and really enjoyed it. May be a good series.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...