Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Awake (New NBC Show)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I watched the Pilot and don't expect the series to last. I don't see where the plot can go.

Ratings:

At 10:00 p.m., the series premiere of Awake pulled in a 1.9 among adults 18-49 and 6.247 million viewers. It topped the hour in the demo, but it was up against repeats of The Mentalist and Jimmy Kimmel Live.
source

I believe the hype led to a good rating ... people tuning in to see what it was all about (similar to The Event - which scored a 3.6 for the pilot). But The Event never hit that pilot rating again and Awake is staring out much lower.

The big issue of the show is the split life and the reality of the issue. Which life is real or is there some interdimentional travel between two true realities? The problem with that big issue being the root of the show is that it limits the audience. I can't see more that the most devoted fans paying attention to every clue trying to figure out what the real reality is - and for the rest of the audience it can be an annoyance.

If they get away from the big issue and concentrate on the police work with clues in one life solving crimes in another life it might draw a bigger audience (there are a lot of cop shows where the lead cop has special powers or insights that help them solve crimes). But that would also make it more formulaic. The confusion between fellow officers playing different roles in each life makes me feel like I'm flipping channels between two movies.

In the end I don't expect it to last. There are supposed to be 13 episodes but I wonder if all of them will air.

I have come up with an idea for the final scene of the series finale ...
Spoiler

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

In some ways, it is similar to Life on Mars. While the U.S. version did not fare well, the BBC version was fantastic! My husband and I really liked it and couldn't wait to figure out if he was dreaming in a coma state, or really in another dimension.

I loved the pilot (I watched in on VOD) and hope it does well.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

In some ways, it is similar to Life on Mars. While the U.S. version did not fare well, the BBC version was fantastic! My husband and I really liked it and couldn't wait to figure out if he was dreaming in a coma state, or really in another dimension.

I loved the pilot (I watched in on VOD) and hope it does well.

Life on Mars was better. We only had one timeline to deal with for most of the show. I didn't watch the British version but I liked the US version happy ending better that the British version I've read about.

#24 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

You're right that it probably won't last, but the wife and I really liked it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

It's basically a crime procedural where "they" work on two crimes at the same time while the lead character struggles with some unique personal problems. It's well done. My wife and I liked it.

Chance of survival? Not much.

This spring it would have been a ratings grabber for NBC on Tuesday at 10:00 against ABC's "Body of Proof" and CBS' "Unforgettable." Instead they've put it up against CBS' "The Mentalist" and ABC's new show "Scandal" with no lead in. In its first outing against two reruns it got about the same pathetic ratings as the premier of "Prime Suspect" got against the season premiers of "The Mentalist" and "Grey's Anatomy."

But we'll record and watch it.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I enjoyed it which does mean it probably wont be renewed :( I did notice in the previews for the next episode that Laura Innes (Sophia from The Event) will be guest starring. To be in another show this quickly it will be hard for me to think of her as somebody other than Sophia
My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

This show will end just like LOST (just a LOT sooner). He really is the one who died in the accident and everything he imagined each time he woke up was from watching too much TV in heaven.

I predicted the ending to Lost after the 2nd or 3rd show. My wife said "no way." It was just too obvious. :lol:

#28 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

This show will end just like LOST (just a LOT sooner). He really is the one who died in the accident and everything he imagined each time he woke up was from watching too much TV in heaven.

Either this, or he is in a coma and dreaming both "awake" states. The only obvious explanation to the story is that neither is a reality, and with this in mind I can't see how this turns into an ongoing storyline that keeps viewers coming back. At least with LOST there were lots of mysteries that kept you guessing throughout the show even though the eventual outcome was what everyone expected.

#29 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Either this, or he is in a coma and dreaming both "awake" states. The only obvious explanation to the story is that neither is a reality, and with this in mind I can't see how this turns into an ongoing storyline that keeps viewers coming back. At least with LOST there were lots of mysteries that kept you guessing throughout the show even though the eventual outcome was what everyone expected.

According to sources that is not the case:

So which one is real and which is a dream? (And before you say you've figured it out -- that ever-popular theory that he himself is dead, a ghost or in a coma -- I've been promised that those are not options.) As the audience, do we even want to know?

Story here
My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

I did notice in the previews for the next episode that Laura Innes (Sophia from The Event) will be guest starring. To be in another show this quickly it will be hard for me to think of her as somebody other than Sophia

You mean Dr. Kerry Weaver from 249 episodes of "ER". I never really got used to her in the 21 episodes of "The Event".

So which one is real and which is a dream? (And before you say you've figured it out -- that ever-popular theory that he himself is dead, a ghost or in a coma -- I've been promised that those are not options.) As the audience, do we even want to know?

Story here

Thanks for the link. I was beginning to worry that the show runners actually would be that unoriginal.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Story here

Well they eliminated my spoiler protected guess ... but let's look at the quote: "As the audience, do we even want to know?"

That would be the major difference in how the show plays out. If it is filled with clues and misdirection about which reality is real it will play to an audience that wants to know. If it ignores the reality issue and just uses the cross over clues as a special power then those who want to know might be disappointed.

But the raw thought of "do we even want to know" makes me wonder if it is worth trying to figure it out or if an easier to watch show would be a better choice. We'll find out if it can keep the audience next week. I'll only call it a surviving show if it increases viewership from week two and beyond.

#32 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

You mean Dr. Kerry Weaver from 249 episodes of "ER". I never really got used to her in the 21 episodes of "The Event"

I admit that 249 episodes beats out 21 episodes but I only watched ER in the very beginning so I connect her to Sophia. Obviously you have the same issue I do, just 1 series earlier
My Setup

#33 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Well they eliminated my spoiler protected guess ...

I apologize if you took that as a spoiler, I didnt even think that as it was not from watching an episode but came from public discussion of the show by the people involved
My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think TV Shows need to take a new approach.

In the pilot, they need to show us the ENDING of the series...
And then in episode 2, they start of... Several years earlier......

That way we will always have closure if the show ends early.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

I apologize if you took that as a spoiler, I didnt even think that as it was not from watching an episode but came from public discussion of the show by the people involved

No problem. It wasn't a real spoiler, I just protected it as such when I posted the speculation so people who didn't want to read it didn't have to.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

The promo for this week's episode refers to the show as "the story of one man in two dreams".
Laura Innes in the clip is practically ripped from The Event. :(

#37 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

The promo for this week's episode refers to the show as "the story of one man in two dreams".
Laura Innes in the clip is practically ripped from The Event. :(

At this point, I wonder if the producers and writers have decided which is the dream, and which is real, or is the both, or neither?:) If they haven't made a decision yet, and CLUES we get are meaningless.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#38 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Seems like the kind of show that I would like, only to then have it cancelled. Best shows on TV keep getting cancelled (Chicago Code, for example).

Looks really interesting and I will definitely check it out.

YES! And we never did get to see if that crooked alderman went down on Chicago Code.

Back in the day, you could watch a new show and at least be guaranteed that you weren't wasting your time when it got canceled after a half-dozen episodes. But not today!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

I wake up some Thursday mornings and it has been canceled. Other Thursday mornings I wake up and wishing it had been canceled so I wouldn't fear wasting all that time.

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Something I just noticed a couple weeks ago (maybe its been there, I dont keep old episodes so cant go back and check) Each reality is filmed with a different color tint. One has a bluish tint while the other has a slight red tint. The only place I have seen that before was on Charlie Jade.

Spoiler

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...