Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Awake (New NBC Show)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Something I just noticed a couple weeks ago (maybe its been there, I dont keep old episodes so cant go back and check) Each reality is filmed with a different color tint. One has a bluish tint while the other has a slight red tint. The only place I have seen that before was on Charlie Jade.

That would be nice. I sometimes get lost on what reality we're in.

Spoilers one has not seen this week's show:

Spoiler

Spoiler

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I thought the "event" he was talking about was the football game!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I thought the "event" he was talking about was the football game!

I though The Event was an alien return to Earth ... but that is a different show.

While the show previews (and guide summary) made it obvious that the football game would play differently there is a much more important event difference between the two realities ... on the same scale of the "who lived/who died" question that splits the show into two.

The game isn't that important ... and every week different people die in each reality. The worlds are already fairly separate. But most of the differences do not carry on from week to week other than the status of the detective's own family.

#44 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

IMHO last week's show confirmed what I was fearing - that this is a very well done, imaginative show that nobody's watching. Episode 39 might have been truly great television.

And yes, they do use a warm tint for one timeline and a cool tint for the other.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#45 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

I didn't get into this show, and wonder if it's now too late. IMBD has synopsi (?)(synopsis's?)for just the first three eps.... does that mean anything?

There is a list of titles of shows extending several weeks forward from now (to total 13 for the season), so does that mean they're in the can?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Episodes 6 through 8 are available for viewing at NBC's web site (click on video). I'm sure NBC will air all 13.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#47 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I don't think that's what he was asking. He was wondering if all thirteen have been filmed and completed (in the can as it were), and are just waiting to be aired.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#48 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

According to everything I can find, NBC ordered 13. Next week's episode is #10 and every indication is that the final three will be shown. The show's star Jason Isaacs is in two movies being filmed right now plus the BSkyB channel has acquired distribution rights for Great Britain, so I think the 13 episodes are complete.

My AV Setup

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

It makes sense that they are all done. What prompted my question was seeing all future eps titled, wondering if that was necessarily an indication that they were committed to, if not finished.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

It makes sense that they are all done. What prompted my question was seeing all future eps titled, wondering if that was necessarily an indication that they were committed to, if not finished.

Sometimes I see the names of future episodes from sources like TV.com and EPGUIDES change over time. In this case, I think the episodes have been completed, so the titles are finalized.
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#51 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

And that's all she wrote, folks.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Dang it!

I thought this show was terrific. Does anyone know who actually makes Awake? Maybe it might find a different home?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Well there's another one I can delete without watching an episode...

The networks sure are leaving me with nothing to watch this summer. That's now 5 shows I've deleted without watching.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Well there's another one I can delete without watching an episode...

Even though it was cancelled early, it has been a good ride so far, so I would recommend you watch it anyway. It all depends on the finale of course, but so far, the show has been worth the time, unlike some others.
Luke

#55 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Even though it was cancelled early, it has been a good ride so far, so I would recommend you watch it anyway. It all depends on the finale of course, but so far, the show has been worth the time, unlike some others.

Like I said in another thread, why? Why invest time in something you know is going to end sooner than it should have and probably leaves a lot of loose ends?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Like I said in another thread, why? Why invest time in something you know is going to end sooner than it should have and probably leaves a lot of loose ends?

If the season/series finale wraps nicely it may be worth the watch.

People watch mini-series and other series that are not intended to go on for many years. There are shows I wish they made more of, but I was glad to be along for the ride for what little time we had together.

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

If the season/series finale wraps nicely it may be worth the watch.

If, but being this close to the season finally I'm not holding my breath.

For those of you chastising me, more so in the other thread, for just deleting cancelled shows that I haven't watched I'll, just this one time, not delete Awake and wait until you guys say if it wrapped up nicely or not. If it doesn't, it's gone. If it does I'll take everyone's word for it and watch. Happy now? :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

If, but being this close to the season finally I'm not holding my breath.

For those of you chastising me, more so in the other thread, for just deleting cancelled shows that I haven't watched I'll, just this one time, not delete Awake and wait until you guys say if it wrapped up nicely or not. If it doesn't, it's gone. If it does I'll take everyone's word for it and watch. Happy now? :D

Just curious... For a show to be worth it, does it have to wrap up every loose end?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#59 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Just curious... For a show to be worth it, does it have to wrap up every loose end?

- Merg

I don't think RunnerFL is saying that a show has to wrap up every loose end. I think, like me, if he starts watching a series with an overarching plot, he would like that plot to be concluded. In my case if the plot is left unsolved or even worse, in a cliffhanger, then the entire series feels very unfulfilling and a waste.

So RunnerFL is just looking for a conclusion (ie., wrap-up) of the main plotline.

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

- Merg

Not every, no. If that were the case the LOST finale would have been the worst ever. :lol:

I just don't want something where they expected a 2nd season so they had some big explosion at the end and you had to tune in for season 2 to find out who lived and who died. That kind of thing. Or something like the crappy ending we were given to Alcatraz, The Event, Reunion, etc...

And I'm not against shows with only one season either. Take for instance Happy Town from a couple of years ago, that was great.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...