Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can 2 HD-DVRs be connected via Ethernet cables?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Arjeeper

Arjeeper

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

We just had our DirecTV system upgraded to Whole Home with the house system now having a HR24-200 HD-DVR, HR22-100 HD-DVR, H23-600 HD Receiver and 5 R22-200 DVRs (with HD). The system is not yet working because the DTV installers are waiting for 7 back ordered DECAs to arrive.

Meanwhile I have a separate DTV system (about 300' away and on a separate HD Dish) that includes:

Caboose:
HR20-100
HR22-100

Camper:
HR20-700
HR24-500

Note: the DSL system in the Caboose and Camper is independent from the DSL in the house that the Whole Home system is connected to (too far away to hard wire it and the metal walls of the caboose and camper make things harder for wireless).

I asked DTV (multiple times) about installing Whole Home on these 4 HD-DVRs (same account, same billing, same address) but DTV says they cannot(?) authorize an additional WH installation or sell me the equipment to do it myself. They suggested I buy the equipment elsewhere and install it myself.

Based on what I have read elsewhere I thought I might be able to simply connect these HD-DVRs together via a router without having to convert with WH equipment but so far I have not been successful.

I would be happy if I could just get the 2 HD-DVRs in the caboose to talk to each other and the 2 HD-DVRs in the camper to talk to each other but so far no dice.

I tried this with the caboose but while both HD-DVRs indicate they are networked and on Whole Home, the HR22-100 shows the playlist of the HR20-700 (might be a HR20-100) but the HR20-700 does not show the playlist of the HR22-100.

When I try (on the HR22-100) to play something on the HR20-700 I get a message that the HR20-700 is already playing too many items (it is actually not playing or viewing anything).

The HD-Dish is connected to both pairs of HD-DVRs via two coax cables each.

I am not a techie but I think I should be able to figure this out and get it to work with some help.

It is rather annoying that I have been a continuous DTV customer since they first became available (15+ years) and I have been paying for up to a dozen DVRs and receivers for many years yet while they push the Whole Home system, no one seems to know much about it and they are totally unconcerned about helping me connect the rest of my system to it.

It is doubly annoying (and rather insulting) when every disappointing phone call to DTV ends with the question "have I answered all of your questions?"

I have looked over a lot of this forum including the photo section but most of it is over my head. I think what I am trying to do is extremely simple - I just don't understand the basics.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Please keep any responses basic enough so that someone who does not understand the terminology (me) will understand how to implement the answer.

Jerry

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

You could connect them with ethernet and WHDVR will work on them once it's activated on your account.

#3 OFFLINE   Arjeeper

Arjeeper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

You could connect them with ethernet and WHDVR will work on them once it's activated on your account.

I wish I had seen this answer first.

First I connected the HD-DVRs to a router that was connected to DSL.

Then I disconnected the DSL and found the HD-DVRs still worked together (in pairs).

Finally I read that I could leave the router out and connect the HD-DVRs directly together (in pairs) and they are working perfectly.

I wish I had discovered and used this forum first as I was being told I needed to hire professionals to make my HD-DVRs work together.

You answered my question with a solution that works - in a single sentence.

Thanks

spam firewall