Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Yay, found a way to get around the DVR (722* and 922 atleast) Timer limit

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Hello all :)

Well, like many of you, I struggle with the timer limit of 96 timers or 288 events on my 722. I have been on disability for the last 4 years and stuck in bed most of the time so I watch a LOT of TV (usually while programming or surfing on my laptop), so needless to say I record a Lot. I used to always have to delete timers for shows that ended their season so I could record shows that started their season soon. Playing on dish remote access I added some timers and noticed I never ran into the limit (I had just subscribed to all the movie channels so needed to record some stuff :) ). Currently on my DVR I have 102 timers with 502 events. WooWooo :) I did have upwards of 112 events at one time (many single events).

Just thought I would contribute a bit to the forums with this find, I am now a very happy camper, I always hated having to juggle timers.

Oh, and interesting thing, seems if you delete a timer that was setup locally you can then add a timer again locally, but you can not add them locally if you are past the local 96 timers, so now what I will be doing is converting some of my timers to DRA or DOL timers so I can still setup local timers (which is more convenient by far than logging into a browser every time I want to add something) :)
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum
Dish subscriber for 6+ years,
DirectTV DVRer before that, COX DVRer before that
Original ReplyTV owner, boy I miss that thing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

I never knew there was a timer limit. 96 timers? When would you have time to watch what you record? I used to have a few timers set to record daily programs, I could barely keep up with watching the recordings and deleted many without ever watching.

With 96 timers you have a virtual "on demand" situation with everything that is of interest to you.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

I just reread your post. That limit is on the browser based "dish remote access" not on the DVR itself. That web based access has been in beta so any limits can change at any time. Never mind.

I hope you get well soon. :)
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

The timer limit is at the DVR, not the browser, which I think is what the OP proved.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

Ya, if you do a search for timer limits there is a discussion around 2008 about them, I had been dealing with the problem before those posts but never thought much of it until I got frustrated enough and found those posts back then.

It's pretty easy to have 96 timers and not fill up the DVR. Considering many of my timers are for shows that air once a week, many less than 20 episodes a year, and Many of them are one offs, oh yes and also dish passes for certain subjects I keep up on in my tech side, it just adds up.

Thank you Michael on your wish of good health, and thank you Kent on your reply :)
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Nice discovery, by the way.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Sounds like the programmer forgot to include something in his code.

It may cause out of memory error if it fills up available memory and overflows.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,447 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

This is an odd thing... because the timers on the Web site don't stay on the Web site.. I'm sure everyone knows this, but the Web site "pushes" those timers to the receiver... which should mean that in the end, a timer is a timer is a timer.

It sounds like the Web site isn't restricting the number of timers/events, though, in the same way that the receiver does.

What I'm wondering... is if this workaround has introduced a problem you just haven't encountered yet... The receiver may at some point fail to fire a timer as a result of the workaround.

It's like if you have a 100 person limit in your house, because that's all you can hold... but you forget to lock all the doors once you hit 100... and people keep sneaking in the back door... eventually it will cause a problem.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Yep, if you bring in another wanted guest, did one of the caterers get pushed into a closet to make room and thus be unable bring out the next round of refills?

Do all the timers that should have possible events in the guide show them in the daily schedule? I wonder if the limit is 96 timers with currently generated events? (BTW the events limit was raised from 288 to 576 a few years ago.)

I don't know why the box would have a way to keep more timers than can be entered via the remote and, since it apparently can, why that 96 timer limit hasn't been raised to whatever the actual limit is. Seems it shouldn't matter how it was entered.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

I was worrying about the same thing (memory stack errors, etc). I have kept an eye on things and I do get some small glitches but so far no show stoppers.

When creating timers over 100 or so the currently viewing show will skip/freeze for 1/2 a second. I have tried adding a show while recording two shows and the subsequent shows played fine so no errors there. I do sometimes 'lose' timers, but that was happening when I had 72 timers, it either shows a few days ahead that it is going to record and then on the day of recording it doesn't, sometimes the timer just deletes (Like True Blood, I set the time on thursday to record new shows, on friday it was showing in my upcoming recordings, and sunday it was gone (Had to record on HBO-W).

I was going to try and stress test it, see what would happen, but I don't want to have to reenter my timers on a new box (I don't have a 722k in my room so can't back up my timers :( ) I don't plan on doing many more timers than I already have (I currently now only have 87 timers (Many were one time shows) with 587 events), just the new fall schedule shows (I regularly trim the canceled shows).

I will keep the thread updated if I find anything new.

Thanks all :) (Oh, I didn't know about the event upgrade, last thread I saw that showed the limits it was the 299, which is what I was seeing at the time, didn't really pay attention to them after that :D )
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum

#11 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Do all the timers that should have possible events in the guide show them in the daily schedule? I wonder if the limit is 96 timers with currently generated events? (BTW the events limit was raised from 288 to 576 a few years ago.)

Sorry forgot to reply to the question. Yes, at the time I was over 100 timers everything showed correctly in the upcoming events, and most of them recorded fine, except for the 2 disappearing timers mentioned above. Again I can't tell if that is an issue with being over the timer limit or not as it has happened even when I was in the 70s with a lot less events.

I don't know why the box would have a way to keep more timers than can be entered via the remote and, since it apparently can, why that 96 timer limit hasn't been raised to whatever the actual limit is. Seems it shouldn't matter how it was entered.

It could be because of the possibility of overflow, programmers (good ones anyway) tend to make limits with a little cushion :) I know I always buffer my limits.
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum

#12 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:54 AM

I was messing around with DOL and DRA and was setting a bunch of single shot timers (some record news as well). I seemed to hit a ceiling @ either 113 timers or 576 events on DRA. Went to DOL and added a few more (Got tired so didn't go crazy but it seemed to go over the 113 and 576). Hmmmm
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum

spam firewall