Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pro Installation Questions

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Training is the main problem.
Techs that want to do a good job have to really struggle to get the information they need and techs that don't care as much, well....
This forum works with DirecTV engineering so we may know more and sooner than the rest of DirecTV.

]

Well, it sounds like if I can get the CCK, then all will be well. I can undo the mess behind my receivers and tidy up the attic. I'll call the installer back on Monday and explain what I need. If he can get it, great. If not then I'll call back to DTV and ask for it.

I'll post the next update when something happens.

Thanks all!

I really appreciate it!

Rick

Edited by Rik756, 17 July 2011 - 11:25 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Well, it sounds like if I can get the CCK, then all will be well. I can undo the mess behind my receivers and tidy up the attic. I'll call the installer back on Monday and explain what I need. If he can get it, great. If not then I'll call back to DTV and ask for it.

I'll post the next update when something happens.

Thanks all!

I really appreciate it!

Rick

This may be the easiest way to get it: http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

This may be the easiest way to get it: http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993

Thanks. That seemed to want to make me pay $85 for it and according to my order, I already have it coming to me.

Also,
Before he installed the DECA behind the receiver, I couldn't get the Cinema at all. Now I do get it, so what changed there? I don't have full functionality of it, but it is there...

Thanks,
Rick

#54 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

think what you are seeing is just that the reciever sees "some" connection.. but it's not complete.. that's problably also why you don't see the rest of the channels..

also bet you can't actualy download anything..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#55 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,502 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

I assume that with a DECA at each RX, the RX should be able to discover my home network or do I still need "something" plugged into my router and diplexed into the sat signal?

Those DECAs place behind you H/HR 24 receivers do NOT look for your home LAN -- neither HW or wireless. They are only for communicating with each other. There are two DECAs design to connect to a router. These are the Cinema Connection (Internet) Kit (CCK). One is hardwire and the new one is wireless. You want the wireless one.

H/HR24s have built-in DECAs. They do NOT need additional DECAs.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#56 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

think what you are seeing is just that the reciever sees "some" connection.. but it's not complete.. that's problably also why you don't see the rest of the channels..

also bet you can't actualy download anything..

Makes sense, thank you.

I will request the Wireless CCK.

Thanks again all!

Rick

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Those DECAs place behind you H/HR 24 receivers do NOT look for your home LAN -- neither HW or wireless. They are only for communicating with each other. There are two DECAs design to connect to a router. These are the Cinema Connection (Internet) Kit (CCK). One is hardwire and the new one is wireless. You want the wireless one.

H/HR24s have built-in DECAs. They do NOT need additional DECAs.

What seems to have happened is the installer didn't know what he was doing and the white DECAs don't get powered from the 24s, so he used the BB DECAs because they have a power cord.
As with all DECAs that aren't wireless, they'll work for connecting to a receiver or a router via cat5.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

What seems to have happened is the installer didn't know what he was doing and the white DECAs don't get powered from the 24s, so he used the BB DECAs because they have a power cord.
As with all DECAs that aren't wireless, they'll work for connecting to a receiver or a router via cat5.

Just to clarify, I should only need ONE CCK connected to get both HR24-200 RX's online? If I understand it correctly, once say the livingroom RX is connected, the internal DECA of the bedroom RC will talk to/through the CCK in the living room, correct?

#59 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Just to clarify, I should only need ONE CCK connected to get both HR24-200 RX's online? If I understand it correctly, once say the livingroom RX is connected, the internal DECA of the bedroom RC will talk to/through the CCK in the living room, correct?

Only need one somewhere..

#60 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Only need one somewhere..

Outstanding. Here we go!

Thanks!

Rick

#61 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

Outstanding. Here we go!

Thanks!

Rick

UPDATE:

After the information I gathered here, I called DTV tech support. I explained the situation, what the tech had done, and that I wanted a wireless CCK. The guy laughed, said he would get me a wireless CCK enroute and send me the recovery boxes for the two H21's.

However, he also said the internal DECA on the HR24-200 is a read-only and that I should leave the BB DECA attached to the RX in the bedroom. He said to scrap the one in the living room and replace it with the CCK.

Thoughts?

#62 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Thoughts?

So you found only partial idiot this time.
Look at my sig, and you'll see that I have this hardware, so I hope you will get the idea that I do know how it works.
A.K.A VOS

#63 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

So you found only partial idiot this time.
Look at my sig, and you'll see that I have this hardware, so I hope you will get the idea that I do know how it works.

I really did LOL! Ok, ok... You and the other guys have been more help than the local tech or phone support so I won't doubt. Just thought I'd throw that out there and it was thrown back pretty quick :lol:

Seriously sad that a contract tech and now two different people on the phone who are getting paid good money are either less trained or less willing to learn the same stuff that another guy is willing to share for free.:confused:

Once the CCK gets here I'll give it a whirl and pop back on to ask more stupid questions or sing the praises of DBSTalk and it's members if I get it going right. ;)

I really and truly do appreciate all the help guys.

Thanks,
Rick

#64 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

It may not be fair to compare my 35 years of working with RF, with someone paid poorly to either do an install or answer a phone.

I do really feel sorry for their training, as I seen some of it an one of the trainers firsthand.
I've got years of schooling and decades of work experience.
A.K.A VOS

#65 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

and some of us learned the hard way thru trial and error :D

#66 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

and some of us learned the hard way thru trial and error :D

Would you be eluding to your sig: AKA: SMOKE !rolling
A.K.A VOS

#67 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Would you be eluding to your sig: AKA: SMOKE !rolling

Did someone let the magic smoke out of an electronic component on accident?

:confused:

#68 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

just be carefull with the PI connections ;)

4 years and it still sticks.. at least I actualy like Tony :D

#69 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

just be carefull with the PI connections ;)

4 years and it still sticks.. at least I actualy like Tony :D

Ahem! :grin:

Well, other than setting up the CCK, I don't think I will have to mess with that. I terminated the open port on the SWM splitter but I was told (I almost feel ashamed to say it) by tech support that the unused port on the power inserter did not need to be capped since it was not signal related. Other than that, I haven't had to mess with it. Sounds like that is a good thing!danger:

#70 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

Ahem! :grin:

Well, other than setting up the CCK, I don't think I will have to mess with that. I terminated the open port on the SWM splitter but I was told (I almost feel ashamed to say it) by tech support that the unused port on the power inserter did not need to be capped since it was not signal related. Other than that, I haven't had to mess with it. Sounds like that is a good thing!danger:

:nono:
If the end that would go to a receiver isn't terminated, then it should be because there is RF there. This is no different than an open port on a splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#71 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

:nono:
If the end that would go to a receiver isn't terminated, then it should be because there is RF there. This is no different than an open port on a splitter.

The open port say "Signal to IRD". That means signal receiver... doesn't it? The used port says out to SWM, to which it is connected to the SWM splitter on the power side.

:bang

#72 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

The open port say "Signal to IRD". That means signal receiver... doesn't it? The used port says out to SWM, to which it is connected to the SWM splitter on the power side.

:bang

If we keep at it, you just might end up knowing how this should be done. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#73 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:02 AM

If we keep at it, you just might end up knowing how this should be done. :lol:

I can only imagine the amazing setup I would be enjoying if I had not reached out to you guys to get more information. :nono2:

So should that PI line be connected to one of the receivers or is it OK as-is since both receivers are connected to the SWM splitter along with the PI?

CCK should be here tomorrow and we can start again lol.

Thanks,
Rick

#74 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

I can only imagine the amazing setup I would be enjoying if I had not reached out to you guys to get more information. :nono2:

So should that PI line be connected to one of the receivers or is it OK as-is since both receivers are connected to the SWM splitter along with the PI?

CCK should be here tomorrow and we can start again lol.

Thanks,
Rick

The PI can go many places, and these will vary mostly for convenience.
My PI is between my first and second splitter. Some have it before the first splitter. Some have it on a leg that has a receiver connected too, some have it on a leg without anything else, and still some have it on the leg with the BB DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#75 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

That PI needs to get the heck out of the attic. Never lived in TN, but I'm guessing it gets too hot & too cold in there for it... :nono2:

Oh yeah and LNB bolts & nuts are a must! However, I do enjoy a service call where all I have to do is slide the LNB the rest of the way back in (it usually doesn't fall out all of the way and dangle) and install the nuts & bolts. However, it is a little embarassing explaining why the last guy wearing the same shirt I am didn't do it to begin with...

Edited by Tisby, 19 July 2011 - 09:36 AM.
typo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...