Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pro Installation Questions

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Yes, "but" because the wireless one is so new, you installer may not have had one, or even known about them.
You might be able to call DirecTV and have them ship it to you [free] as you don't have the work order completed.

Now as to DECAs and receivers: any H/HR 24 receivers DON'T need/want to have a white DECA connected. Any other receiver needs to have one.
This is how all the receivers are networked, and then adding the CCK to this network is how the DECA "bridges" [not a modem] to your home network for internet.

I don't know if this will clarify or confuse, but the pics show what I have. The white "Connected Home Adapter" (first post) was on the back of the HD21. Now, I have a black DECA Broadband Adapter at the back of both HD24s. I have no clue why or what that means at this point lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• BB DECA.JPG
  • BB DECA (1).JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

I don't know if this will clarify or confuse, but the pics show what I have. The white "Connected Home Adapter" (first post) was on the back of the HD21. Now, I have a black DECA Broadband Adapter at the back of both HD24s. I have no clue why or what that means at this point lol.

"What a dumb s...."
You don't need those on the HR24s, as they have the same thing internally.

Now if you have a coax near your router, or a long cat5 cable, you can use one of those to bridge to your home network, as those are the [older] non wireless Cinema connection kits.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Wow this installer did some crazy stuff here.. The pic you JUST posted, that part is supposed to be hooked up to your internet modem, THATS IT.. Nothing behind these H/HR24's
You only need ONE of these.. Basically a coax cable needs to come from your Directv Splitter to your room that has your internet hooked up at.. That coax hooks into the kit you displayed, then cat5 from that kit to your router, then your receivers will be hooked up to the internet.. I am horrible at explaining things but if this doesnt help I am sure someone can explain better than myself :)

#44 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

Here's something close to what it should look like [without the wireless CCK]:

http://www.dbstalk.c...36&d=1304890038
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

WoW!

Ok- Based on veryoldschool and kcaudiofx's posts, I DO need to run a coax from the SWM splitter in the attic to the office (where router is) and then 1. Toss the DECA behind the bedroom RX all together. 2. Remove the DECA from the livingroom box and connect it to the coax in the office and connect the LAN cable to the router. Is that correct? It looks that way from the pic above- I think.

If yes or no to the above, would the "Connection Kit" referenced by veryoldschool and houskamp keep me from having to run the coax?

I'm sorry this is such a pain guys. I'm just a very confused end-user :(

I do appreciate all the help, I really do. Sorry if I'm a little slow up the up-take.

Rick

#46 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

WoW!

Ok- Based on veryoldschool and kcaudiofx's posts, I DO need to run a coax from SWM splitter the attic to the office (where router is) and then 1. Toss the DECA behind the bedroom RX all together. 2. Remove the DECA from the livingroom box and connect it to the coax in the office connect the LAN cable to the routher. Is that correct?

If yet or no to the above, would the "Connection Kit" reference by veryoldschool and houskamp keep me from having to run the cable?

I'm sorry this is such a pain guys. I'm just a very confused end-user :(

I do appreciate all the help, I really do. Sorry if I'm a little slow up the up-take.

Rick

options:

• use what you have and run a coax near your router.
  • get the wireless CCK and not have to run a coax to your router
As to your receivers & needing a DECA, your names don't tell me which model they are. :lol:

As you can see in the photo, the 24s don't need a white one, while all the other models do.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

options:

• use what you have and run a coax near your router.
  • get the wireless CCK and not have to run a coax to your router
As to your receivers & needing a DECA, your names don't tell me which model they are. :lol:

As you can see in the photo, the 24s don't need a white one, while all the other models do.

Sorry- Both receivers are HR24-200 now.

The CCK you reference is the modem looking thing in your previous post, correct? If that's the case then it's a no-brainer to go that route and avoid having to run a cable, right? http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1310680751

Is one setup better than the other?

#48 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Sorry- Both receivers are HR24-200 now.

The CCK you reference is the modem looking thing in your previous post, correct? If that's the case then it's a no-brainer to go that route and avoid having to run a cable, right? http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1310680751

Is one setup better than the other?

What you have now are 2 non wireless CCKs.
Getting the wireless CCK means not adding a coax.
Both wired & wireless do the same thing: bridge to your home network.

You might as well remove "the crap" behind your HR24s now and get their internal DECA working.
You should have one coax running to SAT #1 [without any splitters, etc.] and no cat5 jumper.
Either rebooting the receiver should get the DECA active, or you'll need to re-run the SAT setup [in the setup menu] and this should also cause it to reboot [if not then do it through the menu -restart receiver]. Once this is done, the system info screen should show [under networking] coax connected.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

What you have now are 2 non wireless CCKs.
Getting the wireless CCK means not adding a coax.
Both wired & wireless do the same thing: bridge to your home network.

You might as well remove "the crap" behind your HR24s now and get their internal DECA working.
You should have one coax running to SAT #1 [without any splitters, etc.] and no cat5 jumper.
Either rebooting the receiver should get the DECA active, or you'll need to re-run the SAT setup [in the setup menu] and this should also cause it to reboot [if not then do it through the menu -restart receiver]. Once this is done, the system info screen should show [under networking] coax connected.

Ok- I'll remove both DECAs and try to get the CCK on the way. That is SO much easier than trying to run coax and what I had originally hoped for anyway. Why doesn't the installer know all of this?? Even when I call and talk to tech support, they don't tell me this?!?!

#50 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Ok- I'll remove both DECAs and try to get the CCK on the way. That is SO much easier than trying to run coax and what I had originally hoped for anyway. Why doesn't the installer know all of this?? Even when I call and talk to tech support, they don't tell me this?!?!

Training is the main problem.
Techs that want to do a good job have to really struggle to get the information they need and techs that don't care as much, well....
This forum works with DirecTV engineering so we may know more and sooner than the rest of DirecTV.
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Training is the main problem.
Techs that want to do a good job have to really struggle to get the information they need and techs that don't care as much, well....
This forum works with DirecTV engineering so we may know more and sooner than the rest of DirecTV.

]

Well, it sounds like if I can get the CCK, then all will be well. I can undo the mess behind my receivers and tidy up the attic. I'll call the installer back on Monday and explain what I need. If he can get it, great. If not then I'll call back to DTV and ask for it.

I'll post the next update when something happens.

Thanks all!

I really appreciate it!

Rick

Edited by Rik756, 17 July 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#52 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Well, it sounds like if I can get the CCK, then all will be well. I can undo the mess behind my receivers and tidy up the attic. I'll call the installer back on Monday and explain what I need. If he can get it, great. If not then I'll call back to DTV and ask for it.

I'll post the next update when something happens.

Thanks all!

I really appreciate it!

Rick

This may be the easiest way to get it: http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

This may be the easiest way to get it: http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993

Thanks. That seemed to want to make me pay $85 for it and according to my order, I already have it coming to me.

Also,
Before he installed the DECA behind the receiver, I couldn't get the Cinema at all. Now I do get it, so what changed there? I don't have full functionality of it, but it is there...

Thanks,
Rick

#54 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

think what you are seeing is just that the reciever sees "some" connection.. but it's not complete.. that's problably also why you don't see the rest of the channels..

also bet you can't actualy download anything..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#55 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

I assume that with a DECA at each RX, the RX should be able to discover my home network or do I still need "something" plugged into my router and diplexed into the sat signal?

Those DECAs place behind you H/HR 24 receivers do NOT look for your home LAN -- neither HW or wireless. They are only for communicating with each other. There are two DECAs design to connect to a router. These are the Cinema Connection (Internet) Kit (CCK). One is hardwire and the new one is wireless. You want the wireless one.

H/HR24s have built-in DECAs. They do NOT need additional DECAs.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#56 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

think what you are seeing is just that the reciever sees "some" connection.. but it's not complete.. that's problably also why you don't see the rest of the channels..

also bet you can't actualy download anything..

Makes sense, thank you.

I will request the Wireless CCK.

Thanks again all!

Rick

#57 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Those DECAs place behind you H/HR 24 receivers do NOT look for your home LAN -- neither HW or wireless. They are only for communicating with each other. There are two DECAs design to connect to a router. These are the Cinema Connection (Internet) Kit (CCK). One is hardwire and the new one is wireless. You want the wireless one.

H/HR24s have built-in DECAs. They do NOT need additional DECAs.

What seems to have happened is the installer didn't know what he was doing and the white DECAs don't get powered from the 24s, so he used the BB DECAs because they have a power cord.
As with all DECAs that aren't wireless, they'll work for connecting to a receiver or a router via cat5.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

What seems to have happened is the installer didn't know what he was doing and the white DECAs don't get powered from the 24s, so he used the BB DECAs because they have a power cord.
As with all DECAs that aren't wireless, they'll work for connecting to a receiver or a router via cat5.

Just to clarify, I should only need ONE CCK connected to get both HR24-200 RX's online? If I understand it correctly, once say the livingroom RX is connected, the internal DECA of the bedroom RC will talk to/through the CCK in the living room, correct?

#59 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Just to clarify, I should only need ONE CCK connected to get both HR24-200 RX's online? If I understand it correctly, once say the livingroom RX is connected, the internal DECA of the bedroom RC will talk to/through the CCK in the living room, correct?

Only need one somewhere..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#60 OFFLINE   Rik756

Rik756

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Only need one somewhere..

Outstanding. Here we go!