Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP612 rebooting

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've been through several 612 boxes but they all reboot on their own. Some more than others. The first one was the worst and oddest. It would reboot watching the playback of SNL opening skit. Did it everytime. I'd have to ffwd past the point.
They tell me there is no hardware or software issue with the 612 so I guess they want me to accept I'm just unlucky. It's not overheating unless room temperature is too hot.
Anyone else have this issue? Better yet a solution?
Right now I'm just planning to coast then switch providers next year.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

I've been through several 612 boxes but they all reboot on their own. Some more than others. The first one was the worst and oddest. It would reboot watching the playback of SNL opening skit. Did it everytime. I'd have to ffwd past the point.
They tell me there is no hardware or software issue with the 612 so I guess they want me to accept I'm just unlucky. It's not overheating unless room temperature is too hot.
Anyone else have this issue? Better yet a solution?
Right now I'm just planning to coast then switch providers next year.

This is not the normal operation of the VIP612. I would like to help if I can. When you say that the receiver reboot, it is happening randomly with the exception of the SNL skit. About how often does this occur? Is the receiver plugged into a surge protector? If you could PM me your account information, I would like to review you account if that is OK! Thank you!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I tried to pm but don't have enough "points"

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

I tried to pm but don't have enough "points"

Now you do. :)

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

You beat me. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

Now you do. :)

You beat me. :)

Thank you Both!! You guys rock!! Happy 4th of July!!:)

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#7 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

Thanks y'all.

#8 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

How often is the receiver rebooting? If it's rebooting fairly regularly that is a symptom of a short in the cabling from receiver to dish somewhere. Typical causes are an improperly installed connector where the braid is touching the center conductor, or water in the lines outside.

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

OR - a power grounding issue either in the house or with that outlet. The VIP612 has become a very solid reliable receiver. My three are great. But I do think I notice posts that might suggest they are more sensitive to grounding issues.

#10 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

A Sr tech came and tested those things, outlets, grounding, cabling. I have two cables run to every TV and four outlets. They were all ok. This is (I think ) the fourth unit.
It does it several times a week. Enough that I quit having to apologize to my wife every time for switching to dish in our new house.

#11 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

The first two techs said it was bad HDDs

#12 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Then I guess you have your answer.

#13 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Four bad HDDs in a row, so it's just my bad luck.
After decades in IT and thousands of HDDs I've never had this much bad luck.

#14 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

No - going through that many is a sign of something incorrect in your setup. How long did it take this senior tech to say everything is OK? A complete system check of every connector in typical system would take at least 45min - probably closer to an hour. I've had to go to many jobs that techs keep telling people it's the receivers, and when I do a check I always find something wrong. Unfortunately not all techs care as much as I do.

#15 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

The sr tech was here over an hour. Maybe two. Was inside and outside

#16 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

Well, at least it sounds like he did a thorough job. I still say somethings wrong if you've gone through 4 receivers though. Do you have any USB devices connected to it? A Google TV? AV receiver? Does it reboot when some other device kicks in? AC? Washer/Dryer? Microwave?

A short would cause it to reboot more and more often to the point it does it every 30sec to 1 min. A couple times a week is probably something more environmental. Try to make sure you pay attention to anything that happens when the reboots happen.

Also - just to not overlook the obvious, you're not watching at 3AM on a consistent basis are you? Because that is when the receiver does it's daily reset.

#17 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Using any surge protection or UPS?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#18 OFFLINE   beandaddy

beandaddy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

No surge protection. Plugged straight into the wall.
Happens at anytime of the day. Mornings, during prez telling us they got bin laden, academy awards for the best picture "and the award goes to..."
It happens when no one is home, I get split recordings. Usually just two parts.
The A/C is the only thing that might be coming on. This is Texas. Except it happens in the winter too.
No USB or other goodies connected. There are other devices near it; Mac mini, clock, blu-ray and of course a big TV is connected.

#19 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Would you consider installing a UPS? They're very reasonably priced. I have five APC UPS's on my computers, which includes my modem, router, switch and Ooma, and DVR's including the TV's. If the power goes off the computers shut themselves down and it gives me the opportunity to gracefully power down the DVR's and the TV's. Pretty cheap insurance for under $50 each.

#20 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Alright, check something for me please. Go outside and follow the cables coming from the dish back to wherever they penetrate the house. You will eventually find a ground block (connection point). There should be a wire (usually green, sometimes black) coming from that ground block going to a ground source. What is the ground source that it is attached too? If it is the AC unit itself, or the AC power box on the side of your house try unhooking this wire from the ground block and see what happens. It's extremely rare, but I have known of instances where the ground block was grounded to the AC system and it causes intermittent problems.

spam firewall