Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

USB Port on H24

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gator1234

gator1234

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

What is the USB port used for on the H24 HD DVR?

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,674 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

What is the USB port used for on the H24 HD DVR?

Assume you are referring to the HR24 (HD DVR), as opposed to the H24 HD receiver....

There is no firm, defined purpose (at this time), but it is a live USB port that has been used by a few folks for things like powering USB cooling fans, AM21 OTA tuner, and so forth.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

For the AM21 add on OTA tuner.

You can use it to power some usb devices also, like a cooling pad, but that's it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

What about control the device from PC with USB-RS232 dongle ?

#5 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

What about control the device from PC with USB-RS232 dongle ?

I use a Paterson Technology TV Translator on an H24 to control a HTPC. So yes, it "can" be used to control a PC tuner card, but whether your dongle works or not, I cannot say.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

So far those with Prolific chip PL2303 works fine.

#7 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Yes on the RS232. I currently have my entire home connected via a RTI control system. The D* boxes are all connected to the system via USB to RS232 adapters. The channel changing (and anything else sent via code) is so much better than hard keys on a remote since the RS232 is a direct line of code for each command. For example, I have several pages of channel logos on my RTI remote touchscreen and the single touch of a logo tunes instantly to that channel with no channel numbers entered or shown on screen. Totally removes the time lag of entering a channel number plus enter as well as those spurious channel commands (i.e., double number when only pressed once) Absolutely love it!
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

spam firewall