Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV receivers and HDMI problems

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Why? :shrug:
As you know "grounding" can be a can of worms.
Did some "PHD" (:lol:) decide that grounding the dish, which connects to the cased and using a three prong plug would cause issues with two grounds? :shrug:

Its safer to provide a ground path that avoids sensitive parts and make a ground loop than to avoid a loop at the cost of the TV

also based on the number of times I've heard about comcast and D* techs not grounding the grounding block it would be safer to add a 3rd prong and make sure theres a safe path to ground so that nether the reciver nor the TV grounds through the sensitive parts (kinda like why you can have power flow through you must make sure its not hitting your heart)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Guess it could be grounding, but this showed up at different times after several years of use.

Well, i think my problem is with the HDMI cable. I finally broke down and ran a new cable through the wall and it appears to have cleared up the problem. Since the issue is sporadic, will not know for sure for a while, but when i started trying to watch the game this afternoon, the bleedthrough of collors was horrible. New cable, no problem for now. I have never had a cable go bad, but it was in a bit of a bind so hopefully the problem is solved.

#63 OFFLINE   dboot9

dboot9

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I just bought a new Vizio TV in December and in July of this year all the HDMI ports on the TV went out. Called Vizio and they came and replaced the motherboard on the TV. Only 1 week after the fix, the first HDMI port went again, now today, the second one went...Called Vizio again and that's when I was told that it might be the Cable Box (Direct TV HD-DVR receiver). Vizio will come out and fix the TV again - but I am reluctant to use the HDMI ports...called Direct TV, but since only 2 HDMI ports went out, they will not send me out a new box...but from what I am reading here, they would just send me out the same model HR24-200....so their fix is to send me out component cables to use instead.

It seems that in a year, Direct TV has not fixed their receiver problems...or it is just affecting Vizio TVs?

#64 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I just bought a new Vizio TV in December and in July of this year all the HDMI ports on the TV went out. Called Vizio and they came and replaced the motherboard on the TV. Only 1 week after the fix, the first HDMI port went again, now today, the second one went...Called Vizio again and that's when I was told that it might be the Cable Box (Direct TV HD-DVR receiver). Vizio will come out and fix the TV again - but I am reluctant to use the HDMI ports...called Direct TV, but since only 2 HDMI ports went out, they will not send me out a new box...but from what I am reading here, they would just send me out the same model HR24-200....so their fix is to send me out component cables to use instead.

It seems that in a year, Direct TV has not fixed their receiver problems...or it is just affecting Vizio TVs?

I think this problem is a grounding problem. When either your TV or the receiver isn't grounded [well], it will use the HDMI cable as a ground.
A.K.A VOS

#65 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'm uncertain of the specific TV you have but I have a 22in Vizio Razor I purchased for use in the RV. Also grabbed a Vizio BluRay player to go with it. Never could get the HDMI ports between the two devices to work properly and returned the player for another (same model, same issues) took the player back, set the TV up as a computer monitor on VGA and ran occasional use from a Direct TV receiver via HDMI with no issues.

I say this as in my limited experience the Vizio design and QC might not be quite everything it could be. I've LOTS of DirectTV receivers HDMI connected to many brands of TV (Sharp,Sony,Toshiba,Samsung,Vizio, Some brand X) and never had issues.

Does your Vizio have some form of HDMI control function that is turned ON by default? If so make sure that is OFF.

Don "I hate it when my things become smoking holes" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#66 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I've got (2) Vizio's hooked p by HDMI; one to an HR24-500 (37") and the other to a HR22-100 (32"). Have never had a problem with either.

#67 OFFLINE   dboot9

dboot9

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

I think this problem is a grounding problem. When either your TV or the receiver isn't grounded [well], it will use the HDMI cable as a ground.

Thanks for the response! How would you go about fixing that? Do I have to hire an electrician?

#68 OFFLINE   dboot9

dboot9

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:58 AM

I'm uncertain of the specific TV you have but I have a 22in Vizio Razor I purchased for use in the RV. Also grabbed a Vizio BluRay player to go with it. Never could get the HDMI ports between the two devices to work properly and returned the player for another (same model, same issues) took the player back, set the TV up as a computer monitor on VGA and ran occasional use from a Direct TV receiver via HDMI with no issues.

I say this as in my limited experience the Vizio design and QC might not be quite everything it could be. I've LOTS of DirectTV receivers HDMI connected to many brands of TV (Sharp,Sony,Toshiba,Samsung,Vizio, Some brand X) and never had issues.

Does your Vizio have some form of HDMI control function that is turned ON by default? If so make sure that is OFF.

Don "I hate it when my things become smoking holes" Bolton

Thanks for the response! I will check to see if there is a default HDMI control function on this TV..The TV is a 42" LCD LED HDTV.

#69 OFFLINE   dboot9

dboot9

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

I've got (2) Vizio's hooked p by HDMI; one to an HR24-500 (37") and the other to a HR22-100 (32"). Have never had a problem with either.

Thanks for the response! Looks like you got two good receivers :) From the original post - it was these receivers that were causing the problems (HR24-200, HR24-100, R22-200) and I have the first one...

#70 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

As VOS says, you almost certainly have a grounding problem. There's nothing wrong with your DirecTV boxes.

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the response! How would you go about fixing that? Do I have to hire an electrician?

I guess if you have to ask, then talking to an electrician might be a good idea.
I do this type of work myself, but I also know which wires will kill me, and keep away from them. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

I guess if you have to ask, then talking to an electrician might be a good idea.
I do this type of work myself, but I also know which wires will kill me, and keep away from them. :eek2:

Royal PITA, grounding is. To do it properly he'd have to drive two ground rods six feet apart, bond them and use that as the ground. If he can't use the existing grounds. I've been after D* to fix/actually install a ground for a few years and nothing has come of it. I have been "assured" that if something happens all my equipment will be replaced at no charge. Meanwhile, the code officials have seen the shabby attempt to ground the system that some installer tried a few years ago and they are not happy.

Reminds me that I've gotta call the PP and get grounded. More stress.... :lol:

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Royal PITA, grounding is. To do it properly he'd have to drive two ground rods six feet apart, bond them and use that as the ground. If he can't use the existing grounds. I've been after D* to fix/actually install a ground for a few years and nothing has come of it. I have been "assured" that if something happens all my equipment will be replaced at no charge. Meanwhile, the code officials have seen the shabby attempt to ground the system that some installer tried a few years ago and they are not happy.

Reminds me that I've gotta call the PP and get grounded. More stress.... :lol:

Rich

"I think" more times than not, it's that the DirecTV receiver is grounded and the TV isn't.
A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

"I think" more times than not, it's that the DirecTV receiver is grounded and the TV isn't.

Must be that. My TV is well grounded and my receivers are "floating". Still, when the code officials tell you to do something...

Rich

#75 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Go to your local hardware store and purchase an outlet tester. At least you'll know if the outlet is wired correctly or not. Then you can decide how to proceed. Either way you'll need to work with a good electrician to solve this issue. Most electricians do not ground the outlet, they only use the hot and neutral. If you have romex this could be a bigger problem as the plastic sleeve does not act as a ground back to the panel.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#76 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Go to your local hardware store and purchase an outlet tester. At least you'll know if the outlet is wired correctly or not. Then you can decide how to proceed. Either way you'll need to work with a good electrician to solve this issue. Most electricians do not ground the outlet, they only use the hot and neutral. If you have romex this could be a bigger problem as the plastic sleeve does not act as a ground back to the panel.

Romex comes with a ground wire inside. Most electricians worthy of the name will always make a ground connection. Where did you get that idea from?

Rich

#77 OFFLINE   dboot9

dboot9

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

Thanks! I will check that out!

spam firewall