Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Failing internal hard drive? HR24-500

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

One of my three HR24-500s is acting strange. All is well until I have reason to reboot it, then it pops up a warning that there is a hard drive problem. It then proceeds to run some hours-long test that never finds anything. The unit works normally until the next reboot and repeats the above. There is an external drive in use since day one. Recordings are never affected. I suspect that if there is a problem, it is with the internal drive and that is why the problem (if any) is only detected on startup.

I hate to call DTV for 2 reasons: 1) if they replace the unit, my 2tbs of recordings are toast; and, 2) I paid $200 for this box and there is no guarantee that I will get an HR24 in return.

I guess my question to you is, does this sound like the internal drive is failing? Thanks for any help.

Gene

Edited by Griff, 02 July 2011 - 11:54 PM.

DVRs: One HR44-500 (4tb EURS external drive), one HR24-500, one HR24-200. DISPLAY: Mitsubishi DLP WD-82837 3D enabled; RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A2000 NETWORK: Apple Airport Extreme, all hard-wired MISC: All HDMI connected; PS3; Panasonic BDP-350 BluRay/3D player; Two Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay 400-disc changers; Home-built 6-core HTPC; LG 2tb NAS w/BluRay burner; Pronto TSU9400 remote. Directv customer since July 1994.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Try unplugging the external drive and rebooting
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Griff

Griff

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thanks, I should have thought of that. I did, AFTER I made the post. I'm at work now, will try it tomorrow.

DVRs: One HR44-500 (4tb EURS external drive), one HR24-500, one HR24-200. DISPLAY: Mitsubishi DLP WD-82837 3D enabled; RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A2000 NETWORK: Apple Airport Extreme, all hard-wired MISC: All HDMI connected; PS3; Panasonic BDP-350 BluRay/3D player; Two Sony BDP-CX7000ES BluRay 400-disc changers; Home-built 6-core HTPC; LG 2tb NAS w/BluRay burner; Pronto TSU9400 remote. Directv customer since July 1994.

#4 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

I thought that if there was an eSATA drive connected to an HR24-any model that it's POST and boot was off the eSATA drive.

My HR24-100 HD died a quick death out of the box and I hooked up an eSATA drive and it booted and operated perfectly till the replacement DVR arrived.

If you have an eSATA drive connected and it throws any HD error it should be referring to the external drive. If you pull the plug on the HR24 and disconnect the external drive then plug in the power cord for the HR24 it should boot up on it's internal drive.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,928 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

Connect your external drive to PC and using Victoria (under Windows), post SMART values before and after Scan with Remap=ON. If you want run standalone test - burn a bootable CD with MHDD. I would check internal same way, but if you own it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...