Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D11-100 lost closed captioning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilykat

wilykat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

Up until about 2 days ago, closed captioning was working fine. Then out of the blue, I got no closed captioning anymore. I checked the connection (S-Video), tried different S-Video cable, tried AV cable, none of them would get closed captioning back. But if I switch to local broadcast signal via antenna, closed captioning comes through fine (antenna is direct to TV) so it's not a problem with my TV. Since I've tried different cables, I can rule out problem with cable. My DVD player still works fine with closed captioning.

Every satellite channel that has used closed captioning previously including Weather, CNN, Disney, etc were working fine until 2 days ago. I would understand sloppy station if it was just a few channels but it's nearly 100 channels I checked that did have working caption previously. It's as if the pass through caption feature was disabled on the receiver. :(

I poked around D11-100 setting and checked the manual, no mention of closed captioning anywhere. So why is the closed captioning not working anymore? :confused:

I am deaf and I completely depend on CC to get me through the important programs. Where is the setting to re-enable CC pass through?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,905 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

The D11 does not have any integral CC functions, it simply passes CC from the station through to the TV. In other words, there are no settings you can adjust on the D11 with regard to CC.

If you have not done so yet, try a red button reset. There is a small red button under the cover to the access card. Push it and it will reset the receiver.

If that does not help, you need to contact DirecTV. Their TTY service is at 1-800-779-4388 or by email via their main web site http://www.directv.c...ent/contact_us? to work this issue.

There are CC options available on high-definition receivers. If you cannot get a resolution to the problem with the D11, an upgrade to HD would give you a solution.

Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   wilykat

wilykat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Resetting did not work, something is blocking closed captioning. And upgrading isn't practical as my TV is still an older CRT TV. Getting HD receiver for it is like putting a motor for a Porsche or Lamborghini in a riding lawn mower. (tried flat screen TV, never found one that worked with Atari 2600 system and not enough room for 2 TVs :/)

I'll try the phone number tomorrow and see what else can be done.

#4 ONLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

Check your System Test / More information to see if your unit installed a new firmware release (perhaps the date installed will display) - though I think DirecTV is working on changes to System Test information on these units?
Eighter from Decatur, County Seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...