Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,080 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Verizon first national carrier of Longhorn Network

Still no word on what tier this is on for Fios. "within reach of about 4 million viewers" sounds like a sports tier or something.

BTW, HD in the Texas area. Fios is treating it like an RSN within the Texas area.

http://newscenter.ve...s-are-upon.html
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Still no word on what tier this is on for Fios. "within reach of about 4 million viewers" sounds like a sports tier or something.

BTW, HD in the Texas area. Fios is treating it like an RSN within the Texas area.

FiOS TV Ultimate HD subscribers outside of Texas can watch LHN on Channel 320. In Texas, FiOS TV Prime HD, Extreme HD and Ultimate HD subscribers can watch LHN on Channels 79 (standard definition) and 579 (high definition).

http://www.espnmedia...25/verizon-lhn/

#203 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Or put it on spot beams for the Texas DMA's, they have a lot of the state covered. Wouldn't make everyone happy but it would cover the majority IMHO.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#204 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,643 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

I guess I'm not clear what all the hubbub is about. I'm not trying to "thread crap..." maybe you guys could bring me up to speed about why what is basically an RSN should be carried nationally.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#205 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

I guess I'm not clear what all the hubbub is about. I'm not trying to "thread crap..." maybe you guys could bring me up to speed about why what is basically an RSN should be carried nationally.

For that matter, why would they carry Big 10 Network nationally when it's also a regional thing? (Yes, the "region" is larger than a single state, but still...)

Still, I would agree with those who feel the most logical thing to do would be to treat this as an RSN. If you're a diehard Longhorns fan out of market, you're going to buy the Sports Pack to get it anyway (assuming things like football and men's hoops aren't blacked out). I live in UT country and I can tell you a lot of folks would pay almost anything for all things Bevo.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#206 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

FiOS TV Ultimate HD subscribers outside of Texas can watch LHN on Channel 320.

Its the Ultimate HD package but it doesnt include the HD channel.

Ultimate....thats funny. :D

#207 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm a Huge Sports fan Longtime Sub to almost all of the Sports Subscriptions.

That said I hope this venture(LHN) fails.

Nothing personal or anti Horns just can't see this as a good thing for CFB in the long run.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#208 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

That said I hope this venture(LHN) fails.

Nothing personal or anti Horns just can't see this as a good thing for CFB in the long run.

I agree. I think the jockeying for TV revenues has already weakened or destroyed many conferences -- understandable from a dollars and cents standpoint, but sad from a college football fan standpoint given how much the game markets "tradition" as part of its appeal.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#209 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

For that matter, why would they carry Big 10 Network nationally when it's also a regional thing? (Yes, the "region" is larger than a single state, but still...).

Texas alone has a larger population than four of the B1G states combined. Since DTV carries out of market RSNs on the sports pack, so my guess is that is where it winds up, nationally. What will be interesting is where does it wind up regionally? Will it be treated like FSSW? Free on the basic level? I doubt it, but it sure would be fun to watch all the agros heads explode when they realize they are paying money into the coffers of the evil empire.

#210 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

Will it be treated like FSSW? Free on the basic level? I doubt it, but it sure would be fun to watch all the agros heads explode when they realize they are paying money into the coffers of the evil empire.

Well, they (and other Big 12 member schools) will have made their own bed by kissing UT's derriere in terms of appeasing the Horns in allowing them to create their own network to stop them from bolting from the conference.

#211 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Stuart, I think the reason ESPN put $300,000,000 where their mouth is is tied to the strength of the Longhorn brand. UT has the #1 revenue football program in the country - by a long shot. Also, #1 in merchandise sales. Those are verifiable - what I had heard, but can't find the facts to back it up, is that UT has more living graduates than any university in the country.

This is more than football and UT has the across the board excellence to attract throughout the year. Not the best in everything, but pretty good. All of that combined made this a unique proposition, and not one that many schools can match. It is that realization that fuels much of the envy here. ESPN is unemotional about this, just like Verizon. Their choices speak volumes.

#212 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Well, they (and other Big 12 member schools) will have made their own bed by kissing UT's derriere in terms of appeasing the Horns in allowing them to create their own network to stop them from bolting from the conference.

What the agros hatred of UT blinds them to seeing is that they are hellbent on bolting to a conference (SEC) that also allows schools to have their own network.

And if UT can form their own network, how is that any skin off of say, Baylor or Iowa State's noses? They are well paid on the B12 contract because of the strength of the UT brand, and the size of the Texas TV markets. LHN isn't taking a thing away from the B12 contract, so how are they harmed? Feelings about "kissing UT's derriere" are meaningless (except in one culturally deprived location in central Texas). This is about the benjamins, and the bulk of the B12 knows from whence they flow.

#213 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

What the agros hatred of UT blinds them to seeing is that they are hellbent on bolting to a conference (SEC) that also allows schools to have their own network.

True. But I don't think any single school dominates the SEC market the way Texas dominates the Big 12 market. That's even more true when you look at it in terms of a percentage of TV sets tuned in. As a result we start seeing increasingly lopsided economic discrepancies that start to look more and more like the Yankees versus the Royals in MLB -- permanent "upper class" and "lower class" members of the conference. I don't think that's good for the sport personally.

#214 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,521 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Stuart, I think the reason ESPN put $300,000,000 where their mouth is is tied to the strength of the Longhorn brand. UT has the #1 revenue football program in the country - by a long shot. Also, #1 in merchandise sales. Those are verifiable -

Do you have links to those lists? I'm not doubting you, but I have an Aggie loving buddy who can't believe this, and I've heard it before.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#215 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,643 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Stuart, I think the reason ESPN put $300,000,000 where their mouth is is tied to the strength of the Longhorn brand. UT has the #1 revenue football program in the country - by a long shot. Also, #1 in merchandise sales. Those are verifiable - what I had heard, but can't find the facts to back it up, is that UT has more living graduates than any university in the country.

This is more than football and UT has the across the board excellence to attract throughout the year. Not the best in everything, but pretty good. All of that combined made this a unique proposition, and not one that many schools can match. It is that realization that fuels much of the envy here. ESPN is unemotional about this, just like Verizon. Their choices speak volumes.

Fair enough I guess. I don't have any data either way; I just don't see a lot of UT merchandise around where I live, and I don't know how common it is anywhere else.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#216 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Do you have links to those lists? I'm not doubting you, but I have an Aggie loving buddy who can't believe this, and I've heard it before.

http://money.cnn.com...llars/index.htm

http://www.sportsbus...orship/CLC.aspx

#217 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Fair enough I guess. I don't have any data either way; I just don't see a lot of UT merchandise around where I live, and I don't know how common it is anywhere else.

There was a fair amount of it in the Rose Bowl January 4, 2006

#218 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

The more this sports stuff fractures, the more D* might want to re-examine the whole FT HD RSN thing. The more channels there are with less compelling total packages on each, the more enticing (IMO) it will be to rob Peter to pay Paul in 3 hour chunks.

PITA to administer/maintain, no doubt, but bandwidth limitations are what they are. . .

#219 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,521 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/29/news/companies/college_football_dollars/index.htm

http://www.sportsbus...orship/CLC.aspx

Thank you!! This will shut him up. :lol:

There was a fair amount of it in the Rose Bowl January 4, 2006

I still get teary eyed from watching that. What a great season and beating that NFL team, who everyone swore would stop Vince, was icing on the championship cake.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#220 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

As a result we start seeing increasingly lopsided economic discrepancies that start to look more and more like the Yankees versus the Royals in MLB -- permanent "upper class" and "lower class" members of the conference. I don't think that's good for the sport personally.

That predates the LHN -- like the $117M for tOSU, $99M for UM, $93M for UW, and $91M for PSU -- and $59M for Northwestern? And that is in the "model" B1G that NU scampered off too because of the "bullies" at UT. Where they share all network revenues equally, and still wind up with this disparity?

Or the $106M for UF, $89M for Auburn, $88M for UA and Tennessee both -- and $45M for Vandy? In the "oh so fair" SEC the agros are slinking off to? There are a MULTITUDE of things that drive those resource disparities, and TV revenue is at max 20% of it. For instance, in 2009, UT's $120M in revenue had $191,000 in media rights -- compared to tOSU's $16M. Ticket sales and donations are MUCH bigger, and I don't know how you level that field.

These disparities will continue, with or without a LHN.

spam firewall