Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Fios and some small cable companies in Texas. Hardly anyone. :nono2:

It is on the top package for fios nationally. I have the middle one so I dont get it. No idea what level within Texas.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

It is on the top package for fios nationally. I have the middle one so I dont get it. No idea what level within Texas.

Not sure either, but it doesn't matter since Fios is so sparse in Texas. Hopefully, I can find a stream online if TWC doesn't come through. I know DirecTV won't cave, it's not worth it, but TWC is pretty big here except in Houston (Comcast).
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#303 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

I don't need it. But I might watch a few programs if we had it
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#304 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

For Longhorn fans, I'm sad to retweet from DIRECTV:

@gancom We are sorry Mike but we have no plans on adding the network.
6 hours ago

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#305 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

This network is useless and I hope it fails badly.

#306 OFFLINE   jaihawk

jaihawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

I loved DirecTV's official statement that they made last week which essentially said, "We do not feel that 2 football games constitutes a network".

The arrogance of Texas has been the downfall of the Big 12 Conference and will eventually be its undoing as well... They are getting beat up nationally in a fashion I have never seen before and DeLoss Dodds is only making it worse with his comments each day.

#307 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

I loved DirecTV's official statement that they made last week which essentially said, "We do not feel that 2 football games constitutes a network".

The arrogance of Texas has been the downfall of the Big 12 Conference and will eventually be its undoing as well... They are getting beat up nationally in a fashion I have never seen before and DeLoss Dodds is only making it worse with his comments each day.

Well said.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#308 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Well said.

I just hope D* keeps that stance for the long haul. I know I am in the minority on this next part but I wonder how much of one I'm in. I'm a die hard sports fan. I sub to the pro sports packages and like boxing. However, I barely ever watch ESPN for anything. Their MNF announcers make my ears bleed so I don't watch that often and I'm usually asleep by 10 Sunday nights for baseball. I don't care about college so they don't have much of anything to offer me. If ESPN & co disappeared for awhile over this channel it wouldn't bother me. I honestly think id rather it be yanked off for awhile, all hell break loose, and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps, just perhaps it'll be ESPN who gets the wake up call and that their overinflated opinion of themselves has been unwarranted. Either that or I'll just say what I said before, add this Longhorn channel but do so as a pay premium channel. I already think paying for conference specific and league specific channels is stupid as is. I certainly don't want to pay for a SCHOOL specific channel.

#309 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

I just hope D* keeps that stance for the long haul. I know I am in the minority on this next part but I wonder how much of one I'm in. I'm a die hard sports fan. I sub to the pro sports packages and like boxing. However, I barely ever watch ESPN for anything. Their MNF announcers make my ears bleed so I don't watch that often and I'm usually asleep by 10 Sunday nights for baseball. I don't care about college so they don't have much of anything to offer me. If ESPN & co disappeared for awhile over this channel it wouldn't bother me. I honestly think id rather it be yanked off for awhile, all hell break loose, and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps, just perhaps it'll be ESPN who gets the wake up call and that their overinflated opinion of themselves has been unwarranted. Either that or I'll just say what I said before, add this Longhorn channel but do so as a pay premium channel. I already think paying for conference specific and league specific channels is stupid as is. I certainly don't want to pay for a SCHOOL specific channel.

If Texas was ranked in the Top 10, I could see a major provider in addition to Verizon adding the Longhorn Network, but you're not going to get companies to fork out money for a mediocre football team.

#310 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

If Texas was ranked in the Top 10, I could see a major provider in addition to Verizon adding the Longhorn Network, but you're not going to get companies to fork out money for a mediocre football team.

Auburn was preseason ranked #23 last year. How'd that end? Preseason rankings mean nothing. Texas has 1 bad year and now they're mediocre? That being said, I'm not confident in this team. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#311 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Local newscast said that Grande cable has agreed to carry it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#312 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Auburn was preseason ranked #23 last year. How'd that end? Preseason rankings mean nothing. Texas has 1 bad year and now they're mediocre? That being said, I'm not confident in this team. :lol:

Auburn coming from 23 to win bcs was an aberration not a rule.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#313 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

For Longhorn fans, I'm sad to retweet from DIRECTV:

Cheers,
Tom

Thank you Directv

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#314 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Auburn coming from 23 to win bcs was an aberration not a rule.

My point still remains; preseason rankings mean nothing. Since 1950, only 9 teams have been preseason #1 in the AP and finished #1.

#315 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

My point still remains; preseason rankings mean nothing. Since 1950, only 9 teams have been preseason #1 in the AP and finished #1.

They mean a lot actually. You took a very select number by saying only #1's. Check out more like how many started in the Top 5.

#316 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

They mean a lot actually. You took a very select number by saying only #1's. Check out more like how many started in the Top 5.

Quite a few. :lol:

#317 OFFLINE   LanceTX

LanceTX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

Yeah, so mediocre that they only played in the national championship game just a mere 20 months ago.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear the name of the school (any school would be fine) that would have actually turned down the contract offer that ESPN presented to them to start this network too...
HR24-500, (2) H24-100, (2) D12-500
AU9-SL3-SWM Dish, DECA MRV, Wireless DCC Kit

#318 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, so mediocre that they only played in the national championship game just a mere 20 months ago.

Oh, and I'm still waiting to hear the name of the school (any school would be fine) that would have actually turned down the contract offer that ESPN presented to them to start this network too...

Doesn't matter at this point, but there are quite a few that realize the importance of a strong conference, which Texas seems to have forgotten about. Texas and the LHN are destroying the Big 12. Oklahoma is gone...no one outside of Texas wants this channel for two football games.

#319 OFFLINE   funkeruski

funkeruski

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

Directv needs to add this ASAP!!

Edited by funkeruski, 03 September 2011 - 05:06 AM.

#320 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

You are correct sir. No university would have turned downed their own network if they could get away with it. Anybody that is complaining about it is just jealous because as a Nebraska fan I would love to have a Cornhusker Network.
Go Big Red!!!

spam firewall