Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

Directv needs to add this ASAP!!

Not going to happen anytime soon. They aren't going to lose many, if any, subscribers over not having this channel. That's why you have the three biggest carriers in the country, DirecTV, Dish and Comcast, not carrying the channel. Just doesn't make sense financially to give in to the demands that ESPN wants to carry the channel.
Go Big Red!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

You are correct sir. No university would have turned downed their own network if they could get away with it. Anybody that is complaining about it is just jealous because as a Nebraska fan I would love to have a Cornhusker Network.

You basically have one. You will get tons of Nebraska stuff from the Big Ten Network. More games than LHN will have and just as many shows. You are in a real conference now.

BTW, your assumption is incorrect. Big money is good but dependable big money is better. Conferences like the B1G that share are the best way to go.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#323 OFFLINE   joshadam84

joshadam84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

This may not add a lot to the value of the LHN now, but if they continue to do this with other FBS/FCS schools (or D1 for basketball) then it definitely would help!

**Since I'm not at the five posts I cannot show the link.. however it can be found on blog.mysanantonio.com or on mattsarz's website.**

In short, the LHN is carrying five UTSA home football games in their inaugural season.. and may continue to do so for the next two years.

#324 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I'm sure this will happen the next time the ESPN carriage deal comes up for renewal with Directv. Hopefully, this won't lead to an antitrust challenge...

#325 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 876 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

I just hope D* keeps that stance for the long haul. I know I am in the minority on this next part but I wonder how much of one I'm in. . If ESPN & co disappeared for awhile over this channel it wouldn't bother me. I honestly think id rather it be yanked off for awhile, all hell break loose, and let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps, just perhaps it'll be ESPN who gets the wake up call and that their overinflated opinion of themselves has been unwarranted. .

I wouldn't be surprised if D* does let ESPN pull it's channels,like they did with Comcast/VS last year. The last MNF game is Dec 26,so there should be no conflict with the NFL if ESPN channels are pulled after this season and before the next NFL season starts.

I'm sure D* has good idea how many subs they might lose if ESPN pulls it's channels over a fight for a new deal. They also learned some lessons from the VS fight on how to use the media to win the PR fight .

#326 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if D* does let ESPN pull it's channels,like they did with Comcast/VS last year. The last MNF game is Dec 26,so there should be no conflict with the NFL if ESPN channels are pulled after this season and before the next NFL season starts.

I'm sure D* has good idea how many subs they might lose if ESPN pulls it's channels over a fight for a new deal. They also learned some lessons from the VS fight on how to use the media to win the PR fight .

Just remember you're talking Disney here if ESPN is pulled then all the other associated channels go with it. Kids everywhere would riot. :lol:
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#327 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

Texas = Walmart
ESPN = Walmart as far as that goes
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#328 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Just remember you're talking Disney here if ESPN is pulled then all the other associated channels go with it. Kids everywhere would riot. :lol:

well if they take a stand along with comcast, dish, time warner and others then ESPN will be forced to come to terms.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#329 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

A channel for one team isn't worth it and as of today an unranked team. Directv doesn't need to pick up bad channel idea's and this is one of them.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#330 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

A channel for one team isn't worth it and as of today an unranked team. Directv doesn't need to pick up bad channel idea's and this is one of them.

They're ranked #24 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#331 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

They're ranked #24 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

AP doesn't have then ranked at all.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#332 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

You are correct sir. No university would have turned downed their own network if they could get away with it. Anybody that is complaining about it is just jealous because as a Nebraska fan I would love to have a Cornhusker Network.

You are not even in the stratosphere. "Anyone" complaining is not because they are jealous. Some might be, but as I have stated I already help finance the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, and Big Ten Networks. I dont even like the idea of college sports only networks honestly. I do not want to start financing a specific university now also. That's what tuition, booster clubs, and alumni donations are for, not cable providers.

#333 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Methinks there is a fairly long list of channels that will get added first. And given that DIRECTV can't add a fairly long list of channels until D14 is launched, don't expect Longhorn for awhile. Like 2 years at the very least--if ever.

I suppose if someone could convince the marketing people that this would make another ala cart channel like Babyfirst, who knows.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#334 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

So will Directv carry tonights Rice-Texas game on like Gameplan or something?
I really want to watch it.
DIRECTV HD - ALL CHANNELS

40' Sony Bravia HDTV
32' VIZIO HDTV

HD SPORTS!! Oklahoma Sports mostly.
PGA Tour, NFL, NBA, CFB, CBB

#335 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

NOPE.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#336 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

So how will we watch it? Is it just not going to be shown to half of America?
DIRECTV HD - ALL CHANNELS

40' Sony Bravia HDTV
32' VIZIO HDTV

HD SPORTS!! Oklahoma Sports mostly.
PGA Tour, NFL, NBA, CFB, CBB

#337 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

ESPN has no plan for non TX cable systems to get the games?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#338 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

It's only available in about 4 million homes nationwide. That's a whole let less than half of America. LHN has exclusive national rights, it's the only way to see the game.

FWIW, the Texas v Kansas game on LHN will also be available over-the-air in Kansas.

#339 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Do you really not know the plan? And what do people mean by half of America? I doubt 1 million viewers would watch the game if it were on national TV.

#340 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,604 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

I doubt 1 million viewers would watch the game if it were on national TV.

1.937 million watched unlv/wisconsin on espn thursday nite so i would think rice/texas would beat 1m.

spam firewall