Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

By that logic, the last place team in a division should host a playoff game in the NFL. After all, you are deciding it on the field.

Akron is not Alabama.

The current system is broken and I want a playoff but let's not get stupid.

This

Limit the top tier teams to 64, ideally 4-16 team mega Conferences. others can pound sand or play FCS..
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

Never happen. The Good Ol Boys network is also biased against some of the perennially weaker teams in the conferences so the system as it is set up would allow for Duke, South Carolina, or Baylor to be kept away from the title game if they ever have that 1 or 2 really good seasons.

Well, Duke sucks anyway, so they won't count. The others? I can agree with you more or less. The system right now is broken, I don't think anyone can deny that.

There needs to be SOME kind of fix put in place that gets away from this flip-a-coin-who-has-the-most-money BCS crap that we're stuck with.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#363 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

This network would be a nice addition
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#364 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Well, Duke sucks anyway, so they won't count. The others? I can agree with you more or less. The system right now is broken, I don't think anyone can deny that.

There needs to be SOME kind of fix put in place that gets away from this flip-a-coin-who-has-the-most-money BCS crap that we're stuck with.

Yes. A playoff with teams determined by a select committee like they do in basketball.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#365 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

This network would be a nice addition

I wouldn't even consider adding that channel right now if I where DirecTV. I'd wait till next summer at the earliest, because chances are it's not even going to be around in it's current state in a year when the big 12 gets eaten alive by all the other conferences. Why over pay for it today when you will be able to get it cheap in a year? If there'd wasn't the conference issues, I'd say grab it now if possible too, but...

I just hope they pick up all the PAC channels.

#366 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

National carriers will not want to pick this channel up no matter what the popularity of it is. If they do this they just pave the way for every other large college football or basketball program to setup the same thing.

ESPN sees the writing on the wall with the NFL, NBA, MLB networks and know that eventually they won't have game rights for those sports like they do today. College sports is where they will start to segment the market more and start to drive more money.

#367 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

ESPN sees the writing on the wall with the NFL, NBA, MLB networks and know that eventually they won't have game rights for those sports like they do today.

You really believe that?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#368 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 880 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

ESPN sees the writing on the wall with the NFL, NBA, MLB networks and know that eventually they won't have game rights for those sports like they do today. College sports is where they will start to segment the market more and start to drive more money.

I disagree ,the NFL isn't going to give up the money from ESPN to put those games on the NFL network. The NFL network doesn't reach enough viewers now. TheNFL network must allow local coverage for the two teams playing on those Thursday night games. No way the NFL network gets MNF instead of ESPN.

ESPN needs the NFL to keep getting those obscene rights from cable and sat companies.

As for the NBA and MLB - as long as ratings are high enough to justify the rights paid for those games,ESPN keeps those games.

I don't see the NBA channel or the MLB channel getting enough from increased ad dollars and sub fees that they would turn down all those $$$$ ESPN pays for those games.

Also I doubt many collage commissioners are going to allow individual school networks. That would just devalue all current and future tv contracts for each sport .

#369 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

The Big XII is the only conference that allows networks like LHN. And an analyst on espn said he thinks no one will ever do it again. So espn is hardly thinking this is the future. The just grabbed at something they thought would work.

#370 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Akron is not Alabama.

As probably the only Akron Zip fan on this board, I count it as a blessing that Akron is not Alabama! ;)

#371 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

As probably the only Akron Zip fan on this board, I count it as a blessing that Akron is not Alabama! ;)

LOL!

#372 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

There is a clear trend among professional teams for the local rights to move from RSNs to team owned stations. (My Rockets and Astros switch to that model very soon) Most of the team owned stations subsequently look like RSNs, making the trend hard to spot, but the profit distribution is changing radically.

The national rights are a more interesting story...as I have long suspected that the networks are running the NFL at a loss in order to promote their other programming. If ESPN is losing money on MNF, then clearly that makes more sense than the NFL keeping it on the NFLN.

But if MNF is profitable on ESPN...as soon as NFLN has enough distribution to match the ad revenue from ESPN, well, then NFLN will be able to "outbid" ESPN for those rights since it is essentially a non-profit in that scenario.

#373 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Every show on a network does not have to make money. ESPN feels it is a power because of what it carries and the cache it brings. Not to mention the myriad of shows that revolve around their weekly game.

As for the pro teams owning their networks, that ranges from owing them outright (Yankees and Orioles) to being partners (the rest of them). But they don't just look like RSNs, they ARE RSNs. They are just not 100% owned by Fox or Comcast or Directv, etc.

#374 OFFLINE   mortimer

mortimer

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

ESPN is paying UT for the LHN whether anyone carries it or not. So I don't see ESPN doing anything but play hardball with national cable/sat carriers. They have to recoup that money somehow, and they are in a strong negotiating position, esp. with D*, the self-claimed sports leader.
Living Room
HR21-700 HD DVR
Sony KDS-60A3000 60" LCD Rear Projection TV
TVIX 4100SH HD Media Receiver

Master Bedroom
HR20-700 HD DVR
Dell 24" LCD monitor

Man Cave
H21 HD Receiver
50" Toshiba HD RPTV

#375 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

There is a clear trend among professional teams for the local rights to move from RSNs to team owned stations. (My Rockets and Astros switch to that model very soon) Most of the team owned stations subsequently look like RSNs, making the trend hard to spot, but the profit distribution is changing radically.

The national rights are a more interesting story...as I have long suspected that the networks are running the NFL at a loss in order to promote their other programming. If ESPN is losing money on MNF, then clearly that makes more sense than the NFL keeping it on the NFLN.

But if MNF is profitable on ESPN...as soon as NFLN has enough distribution to match the ad revenue from ESPN, well, then NFLN will be able to "outbid" ESPN for those rights since it is essentially a non-profit in that scenario.

Yeah, but those sport owned rsn s... Who really owns all of them. The lakers will have their own network next year, and it will likely find a baseball team to join them, likely the dodgers. But guess who is bankrolling it and setting it up. Twc. Most of the team owned stations are actually a joint venture with a broadcaster that allows them to take more profit sharing and have more control in the station, rather than the system now where teams don't have as much control of the stations.

#376 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, but those sport owned rsn s... Who really owns all of them. The lakers will have their own network next year, and it will likely find a baseball team to join them, likely the dodgers. But guess who is bankrolling it and setting it up. Twc. Most of the team owned stations are actually a joint venture with a broadcaster that allows them to take more profit sharing and have more control in the station, rather than the system now where teams don't have as much control of the stations.

that why the teams dumped FSN Chicago and starred CSN Chicago.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#377 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 880 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

Here is an article from a lawyer "is a noted expert on business and legal issues in professional sports" She has her own website and has read the contract between Texas and ESPN. She writes about Texas options of going to PAC 12 or going independent for Forbes.

Basically, it means Texas is only contractually obligated to allow LHN to air the Annual Spring Football Game. Texas has to use “best efforts” to supply LHN with one home football game. Essentially, however, if they can’t…well, they can’t. No harm, no foul.

http://www.forbes.co...to-join-pac-12/

#378 OFFLINE   skylab

skylab

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Here is an article from a lawyer "is a noted expert on business and legal issues in professional sports" She has her own website and has read the contract between Texas and ESPN. She writes about Texas options of going to PAC 12 or going independent for Forbes.

http://www.forbes.co...to-join-pac-12/

The ironic thing is that "best efforts" to have a game aired on the Longhorn Network means scheduling a game that no other network (e.g., ESPN, ABC, etc.) would want to carry. Looks like a steady diet of at least once a year cupcakes (or should I say Rice cakes) in the future for Texas football.

#379 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

And what exactly is the Longhorn Network?

The only difference is that ESPN is bankrolling it, rather than either Comcast or TWC. ESPN sees future losses to this type of setup, so they are getting into this business. It is just that they are doing it in a big way.

And while they may be RSNs from a pure definition standpoint, this network setup is extremely different than a classical RSN. They have a tremendous conflict of interest inherent in their structure. And they are more focused on building a brand than attracting loyal viewership. The "Laker Network" can't go fully national because of NBA territorial restrictions. But I bet the Lakers push that channel to cable systems in every DMA that the NBA lets them into.

Which is exactly what ESPN and Texas are doing!

#380 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

And what exactly is the Longhorn Network?

The only difference is that ESPN is bankrolling it, rather than either Comcast or TWC. ESPN sees future losses to this type of setup, so they are getting into this business. It is just that they are doing it in a big way.

And while they may be RSNs from a pure definition standpoint, this network setup is extremely different than a classical RSN. They have a tremendous conflict of interest inherent in their structure. And they are more focused on building a brand than attracting loyal viewership. The "Laker Network" can't go fully national because of NBA territorial restrictions. But I bet the Lakers push that channel to cable systems in every DMA that the NBA lets them into.

Which is exactly what ESPN and Texas are doing!

I see LHN more like BTN or the Mountain rather than a local team oriented RSN. They intend to go national and with Fios already have.

In most of the team RSNs there is not much more conflict of interest than in a traditional RSN. the announcers are typically hired by the teams regardless of who owns the station.

spam firewall