Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Why are you even conjecturing it would be in SD? I don't understand that.

Well.... OWN was launched in HD, but not picked up in HD by DirecTV. Although we are talking about the Holy Grail in television here (That would be Sports), it is known to happen that brand new television stations are not picked up in HD. ;)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   russinpa

russinpa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Per Sports Business Daily----ESPN is asking for $ .40 per month per subscriber in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico. No mention of what they are asking outside this area.

Also, the Longhorn Network will have 2 live exclusive UT football games this year.

http://www.espnmedia...-games-in-2011/

#23 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

is it worth it for directv to pick up at that price and outside would it be more or less

#24 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

is it worth it for directv to pick up at that price and outside would it be more or less

They will probably pick it up, and authorize it as a RSN for the regions mentioned above. With so many states, and the sports pack, they will have to do it as a CONUS channel. Whatever the price may be for viewers outside that area, it will be rolled into the price of the sports package. My guess is that the price for that package won't change yet, but might change next year, or the year after.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#25 OFFLINE   russinpa

russinpa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

This is somewhat different from the normal RSN which is priced alot higher in-market than ouside the market because of blackouts. This channel wont have any blackouts so they may charge the same for everybody but require it to be on Choice in-market and Sports Pack everywhere else.

#26 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Per Sports Business Daily----ESPN is asking for $ .40 per month per subscriber in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico. No mention of what they are asking outside this area.

Also, the Longhorn Network will have 2 live exclusive UT football games this year.

http://www.espnmedia...-games-in-2011/

Only two football games will be a problem. In addition, they are only airing 8 men's basketball games. I'm not sure the telco companies will have a ton of interest in this. I don't know how fair it is to compare this to BTN or The Mtn. Those channels are airing top games week after week during football and basketball season. Longhorn Network won't be. It's largely re-airs, Olympic sports and magazine style shows. It might gain legs in Texas, but I really wonder if the satellite companies will have much interest in this for national carriage.

#27 OFFLINE   russinpa

russinpa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

Only two football games will be a problem. In addition, they are only airing 8 men's basketball games. I'm not sure the telco companies will have a ton of interest in this. I don't know how fair it is to compare this to BTN or The Mtn. Those channels are airing top games week after week during football and basketball season. Longhorn Network won't be. It's largely re-airs, Olympic sports and magazine style shows. It might gain legs in Texas, but I really wonder if the satellite companies will have much interest in this for national carriage.

I think any provider not offering this in the state of Texas will be at a significant competitive disadvantage. This school has one of the most rabid fan bases in the country and these people will move to another provider to get this channel.

#28 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

They will probably pick it up, and authorize it as a RSN for the regions mentioned above. With so many states, and the sports pack, they will have to do it as a CONUS channel. Whatever the price may be for viewers outside that area, it will be rolled into the price of the sports package. My guess is that the price for that package won't change yet, but might change next year, or the year after.

It will for sure be conus. There is not a single rsn or sports network of any kind that is not conus on directv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#29 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, but there are some with part-time HD (-1). And with only 2 UT games a year, why go 24 hour HD?
It's only tv!

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, but there are some with part-time HD (-1). And with only 2 UT games a year, why go 24 hour HD?

Many if the currently parttime HD RSNs are parttime HD from the RSN or are alternate channels.

And they are all conus.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#31 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

The Mtn is part time HD on all systems right now.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#32 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

does anyone think this network will fail and close later down the road.

I mean if they do well, how many other schools will want there own sports networks next thing you know there will be a college sport pack 600 schools having there own network.

couldn't they have made a big 12 network.

#33 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

I mean if they do well, how many other schools will want there own sports networks next thing you know there will be a college sport pack 600 schools having there own network.

Texas in the Big 12 is a pretty unique situation. No other single school financially dominates its conference like Texas does the Big 12. Part of it is the geographic size and unity of following over that size. Part of it is that the Big 12 is a bunch of wimps.

#34 OFFLINE   russinpa

russinpa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

They probably could have made a Big 12 Network but UT would have to share. They want it all to themselves.

I think some other schools might want to go this way but very few are have the market, alumni base and the national rep that UT has.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Besides, they are not the first. Notre Dame has NBC for football and BYU is now independent and has its own channel.

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

They probably could have made a Big 12 Network but UT would have to share. They want it all to themselves.

I think some other schools might want to go this way but very few are have the market, alumni base and the national rep that UT has.

some schools just have there games on the local RSN's.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

Besides, they are not the first. Notre Dame has NBC for football and BYU is now independent and has its own channel.

I don't think that an OTA football deal and a largely religious based channel are similar to what Longhorn Network will be. My main concern with it is the lack of content. Two football games aren't going to cut it. The closest thing out there that's similar to this is the Fighting Sioux Sports Network in North Dakota. Obviously, that's on a smaller scale but it's the only college regional network that I know of and I believe that it's only a part-time channel.

This was a concession to teams to keep them in the Big 12. The conference strongly considered their own network but to make them happy, they dropped the idea. It's all about the money and holding the conference together. They gave back a minimum of two football games to each school to sell as their own and make money from. This way, each school keeps the money for themselves and doesn't have to share the pot.

#38 OFFLINE   dontknow

dontknow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

I know that ESPN wants the LHN to be on the expanded tiers for cable companies and want a big amount of money per sub, ESPN wants to also redo all their contracts at the same time as well

#39 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

I know that ESPN wants the LHN to be on the expanded tiers for cable companies and want a big amount of money per sub, ESPN wants to also redo all their contracts at the same time as well

I guess ESPN wants to recoup the tons of money they gave to the SEC and other conferences. I think the SEC thought about having their own network but the ESPN deal was too good of deal to turn down vs money they would have to spend to create their own network.
my setup here

#40 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

Living in Oklahoma, I'd pay DirecTV $0.40 a month to keep it OFF the satellite! :sure:

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

spam firewall