Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
690 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

I think the Shorthorn network is DOA.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Kinda like UT was after that shellacking your Sooners put on my boys. :lol::nono2:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#443 ONLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Remember, it doesn't matter if only six people in south Texas are watching....Disney still has to pay to big bucks to U.T.

That makes the last weekend's shellacking a lot easier to take! :lol:

#444 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

And paying about $10 per channel.

I realize that, but so would those who don't want to pay for ESPN, etc. They just don't realize it.

My whole point was, if those don't want to subsidize ESPN (sports channel watchers) their cost would be much greater for the "basic" stations. After all, Disney owns a LOT of the networks. They would charge more for their family of networks, not just the ESPN family.

#445 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

I realize that, but so would those who don't want to pay for ESPN, etc. They just don't realize it.

My whole point was, if those don't want to subsidize ESPN (sports channel watchers) their cost would be much greater for the "basic" stations. After all, Disney owns a LOT of the networks. They would charge more for their family of networks, not just the ESPN family.

Well disney is up there as well but epsn is way out there and it used to be a pay channel.

Now in the AUS, UK,NZ, CAN, EU. Sports is a add on and not part of basic.

Now what if CBS said if want CBS, Smithsonian Channel, Flix and CBS Sports Network you must put showtime, and movie channel in basic.

and What time warner said put HBO and cinemax in basic to get CNN, TNT, TCM, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, TruTV and TBS.

But EPSN want push a RSN like longhorn network to all (at least fios some how got out of that) The big ten is rsn like basic in big ten areas and high level / sports pack out side of them (most systems).

Now your RSN should not be lumped in to any kind of espn sports pack or it can be add on that only has it as well being part of a bigger pack.

Now ESPN is pricing at the HBO / showtime level but wants to be in basic.

at least have a sports level if espn is pushy say yes it is in basic sports basic that has VS, golf, NHL, MLB, NFL, CBS sports network, USN, and so on + maybe local RSN's.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#446 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Remember, it doesn't matter if only six people in south Texas are watching....Disney still has to pay to big bucks to U.T.

That makes the last weekend's shellacking a lot easier to take! :lol:

Is LHN part of the first and second tier money the Big XII agreed to share?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#447 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

:blowout:

Kinda like UT was after that shellacking your Sooners put on my boys. :lol::nono2:

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#448 ONLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

Is LHN part of the first and second tier money the Big XII agreed to share?

My understanding is that it's all third tier.

Also, for what it's worth, UT Pres. Bill Powers has come out swinging. In an interview published today in the Austin paper:

Powers strongly defended the Longhorn Network, a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN that has led to acrimony within the Big 12. He said it has been a central tenet of the Big 12 — "in the DNA of the league" — since the conference's inception that schools were free to broadcast lower-profile sporting events that weren't locked into the league's contracts with ESPN/ABC and Fox. He mentioned that Nebraska, which left for the Big Ten, maximized such rights and had as many as three football games shown on pay-per-view in a single season.

What's more, he said, Big 12 presidents and chancellors agreed last year that each school could reserve one football game for such purposes and could negotiate with the league's media partners for additional games. His counterparts at other schools who had a different recollection are "mis-remembering" the discussion, Powers said. In any event, league members are now in firm agreement on those terms, he said.

If anyone's interested in the entire interview, in which he addresses A&M's leaving, relations between the remaining schools, etc., it can be seen at:

http://www.statesman...ig-1912724.html

mn

Edited by mnassour, 14 October 2011 - 10:33 AM.

#449 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Well disney is up there as well but epsn is way out there and it used to be a pay channel.

Now in the AUS, UK,NZ, CAN, EU. Sports is a add on and not part of basic.

Now what if CBS said if want CBS, Smithsonian Channel, Flix and CBS Sports Network you must put showtime, and movie channel in basic.

and What time warner said put HBO and cinemax in basic to get CNN, TNT, TCM, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, TruTV and TBS.

But EPSN want push a RSN like longhorn network to all (at least fios some how got out of that) The big ten is rsn like basic in big ten areas and high level / sports pack out side of them (most systems).

Now your RSN should not be lumped in to any kind of espn sports pack or it can be add on that only has it as well being part of a bigger pack.

Now ESPN is pricing at the HBO / showtime level but wants to be in basic.

at least have a sports level if espn is pushy say yes it is in basic sports basic that has VS, golf, NHL, MLB, NFL, CBS sports network, USN, and so on + maybe local RSN's.

Not sure where you live but I've had cable/sat in my house since I was 3 or 4 (80-81) and ESPN has NEVER been a pay service in the HBO sense of the word. It was part of basic when it consisted of 33 channels.

#450 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

ESPN was never a premium channel when I was growing up, back when Comcast only had about 26 channels(mid 80s). I remember Disney being a premium channel. I think Longhorn network should be in the Sports Pack. I don't think the the networks(ESPN and CBS) should be crazy amounts of money to conferences and schools(Texas), they will pass the bill down to the carriers(sat and cable co) and then we pay them... I like football as much as the next guy, but how much more is it going to make what we pay a month go up at the rate we are going? There may be one day a ESPN pack that has all the ESPN channels.
my setup here

#451 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Not sure where you live but I've had cable/sat in my house since I was 3 or 4 (80-81) and ESPN has NEVER been a pay service in the HBO sense of the word. It was part of basic when it consisted of 33 channels.

I think he had it reversed. Disney used to be a premium channel.

#452 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

I remember when Disney was premium in all but one county near me from the same cable company. The county it wasn't had two overlapping cable systems. One of the few times competition worked in the cable arena.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#453 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

I remember when Disney was premium in all but one county near me from the same cable company. The county it wasn't had two overlapping cable systems. One of the few times competition worked in the cable arena.

ESPN has been in basic for a long time but they are pushing there price to the same levels that other pay channels are at.

How well will a $5-$8 EPSN pack work out? with the basic price dropping by the same $?

#454 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Another great day for the loser's. Texas lost again, College Station is ecstatic...

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#455 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Another great day for the loser's. Texas lost again, College Station is ecstatic...

Did an Aggie type this? :lol:

A&M has 2 losses, as well.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#456 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yeah I know that. It was located next to Cinemax on our cable operator at the time. Funny, when it was a premium it had stuff worth watching. Once it went to basic it started sucking.

#457 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

ESPN has been in basic for a long time but they are pushing there price to the same levels that other pay channels are at.

How well will a $5-$8 EPSN pack work out? with the basic price dropping by the same $?

If everyone got on board to tell ESPN/ABC no then the price they want would decrease drastically. I've said this before, ESPN is one of the most important channels on cable obviously. But their view of themselves is overinflated. They probably know it but no collective group of operators will stand up to them and prove it for fear they'd lose subs to other outlets. I love sports. But honestly I can almost live without them and I think more and more people feel the same way. Of course I'm not a college fan and am not a diehard NBA lover. The only thing id really miss is MNF and the Sunday Night Baseball game. Most of their other programs are worthless to me and that especially includes SC. Anyway, an ESPN tier would reveal to ABC just how important their channels are to the public at large and I'll bet they'd get an eye opening experience if it ever happened.

#458 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

Espn gets that kind of money now and it is everyone. I think Satracer once said an espn pack would cost much, much more.

And what makes you think Directv or anyone would drop the price of basic. Prices are not set by cost but by supply and demand. In the case of unlimited supply like a tv channel, they are set by demand. Or by what the market will bear.

#459 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Espn gets that kind of money now and it is everyone. I think Satracer once said an espn pack would cost much, much more.

And what makes you think Directv or anyone would drop the price of basic. Prices are not set by cost but by supply and demand. In the case of unlimited supply like a tv channel, they are set by demand. Or by what the market will bear.

sky New Zealand dropped the price of basic when ESPN moved from basic to sports pack.

#460 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

sky New Zealand dropped the price of basic when ESPN moved from basic to sports pack.

New Zealand or anywhere else is not the same as American TV in any way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...