Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
690 replies to this topic

#576 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

in region only?? or all charter systems?

Article says Texas, Louisiana and Virginia (!!!)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#577 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

A bit of an update here....from local sportswriter Kirk Bohls in today's Austin paper. It looks like the fate on Longhorn Network and perhaps other such regional networks may be before DirecTV soon.

2. You can expect ESPN to announce soon that it has reached an agreement to start the SEC Network, a development that Texas women’s athletic director Chris Plonsky said would be good news for the Longhorn Network’s prospects of gaining further distribution. The LHN still has not been picked up by any of the big four cable or satellite distributors. ESPN’s contract with DirecTV ends soon, so DirecTV “will be the next ones it has conversations with,” Plonsky tells me. And any time ESPN is talking with Time Warner Cable, even if it’s about a partner like the Southeastern Conference, it can only help the negotiating process. An ESPN spokesman said it does not comment on terms of its contacts.

The rest of the article of generally not TV-related, but here's the link:

http://www.statesman...by-texas/nWFC7/

#578 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Are there ANY updates or information regarding LHN on DTV? Dead in the water? Nada? Zilch?

#579 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

I guess if Pac-12 is having issues getting on DTV; Longhorn Network seems even a less of a chance. I would say the same thing if Ohio State tried to go it alone with its own network. Ohio State and Texas have the largest number of living alumni, but not enough to make a channel like Longhorn Network viable in the long term. Over time I expect the SEC to invite Texas and Oklahoma to their conference, and the Longhorn network could morph into the SEC Network; in that case there is a much larger interest. i also expect that PAC-12 will abandon their seven channel model, because that model is not sustainable for DBS. Seven slots are very expensive to begin with, as is one slot, Both Longhorn network and PAC-12 suffer from space allocation issue, and cost to make it viable for carriage and what subscribers would have to pay.

Are there ANY updates or information regarding LHN on DTV? Dead in the water? Nada? Zilch?

#580 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I guess if Pac-12 is having issues getting on DTV; Longhorn Network seems even a less of a chance. I would say the same thing if Ohio State tried to go it alone with its own network. Ohio State and Texas have the largest number of living alumni, but not enough to make a channel like Longhorn Network viable in the long term. Over time I expect the SEC to invite Texas and Oklahoma to their conference, and the Longhorn network could morph into the SEC Network; in that case there is a much larger interest. i also expect that PAC-12 will abandon their seven channel model, because that model is not sustainable for DBS. Seven slots are very expensive to begin with, as is one slot, Both Longhorn network and PAC-12 suffer from space allocation issue, and cost to make it viable for carriage and what subscribers would have to pay.

Pac12 will not be changing their setup at all. They are making some money now, just not as much as they want. It works fine for sat, they run the national plus alt channels for games. That's working fine for dish. That isn't the issue, price is the issue, just as it is for the longhorn.

Ad anyone thinking that a new round of negotiating for espn is going to get to in and of itself allow espn to force DIRECTV or anyone else to carry the long horn network isn't thinking logically. They will push for it,but they aren't going to hold up a deal and risk espn going dark for that one channel. But the providers probably will. We know DIRECTV isn't afraid to yank or ignore channels anymore, and espn would be in big trouble if they lost DIRECTV even for a few days. Dnt would be ok as long as it didn't last to long.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#581 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Directv is not gong yank ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#582 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

All providers might if they feel they have to in order to get a deal they want which will not include long horn for one. But I really don't see espn trying to shove that down everyone's throats at a high price either. I think it's going to be very pretentious behind closed doors and that we likely will never know just how close it comes but ill bet closer than ever before.

#583 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Points well taken but unless I'm wrong, the Pac12 Net doesn't have the clout of Disney behind it.  My own personal guess is that come the next big negotiation for ESPN and it's channels, that DirecTV will quietly agree to carry LHN, probably at either a reduced rate or in exchange for some other consideration by ESPN, and shove it up into the high 600s somewhere.  Who knows?  DirecTV might get mobile rights to all ESPN channels in exchange for a full price carriage of LHN.  Does anyone know when the ESPN contract is up?  For the record, I'd love the Pac 12 network, but don't want my bill to go up $3-$5 a month for it.

Oh, but one more thing.  UT-Austin will never, ever, ever, join the SEC, at least as the current administration rules here.  The attitude here is that while the allure of SEC Football is one thing, a conference membership is more than just one sport.  Schools within a conference compete...and cooperate...on any number of projects, curricula, and so forth.  And while most SEC teams could probably take today's Texas Longhorns on the gridiron (easily!), this administration here is fully convinced that with the exception of Vanderbilt and maybe one other, the SEC schools just don't measure up academically to UT-Austin.  And there are already strong ties between top administrators here and the Pac 12.

That is why I personally expect to see part of the Big 12 join with the Pac 12.  The schools are too good a fit, or so they say, and the money will be just too good.  And speaking of such, no one really knows how much pressure UT-Austin will/can/should put on Disney to get wider carriage for LHN.  Disney cuts the check...and UT deposits it.  So far, that's all that's really mattered.

Edited by mnassour, 19 August 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#584 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

And I think unless they get a sweetheart fo a deal, no one should expet ESPN to use their other channels as enough leverage to get LHN on Directv or other carriers.  You can only leverage it so far, and I think the LHN just wont be discounted enough to make Directv think its worth it, but ESPN also isn't going to let that one channel keep their others from being on the airwaves.  It really will be interesting.

#585 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Absolutely!  I think that when the next round of negotiations come about, we'll see just how committed Disney/ESPN is to LHN.  The question is how willing is that provider to yank all its programming off DirecTV and how willing is sports-oriented DirecTV to risk the loss of ESPN?  Back when all this started, the Disney/ESPN honchos were saying they were completely committed to establishing LHN as a basic channel.  I wonder if that still goes?

I'd love to be able to sell tickets to those negotiations!   :contract:

They'll be more interesting than any game this year on LHN!

Edited by mnassour, 20 August 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#586 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Absolutely!  I think that when the next round of negotiations come about, we'll see just how committed Disney/ESPN is to LHN.  The question is how willing is that provider to yank all its programming off DirecTV and how willing is sports-oriented DirecTV to risk the loss of ESPN?  Back when all this started, the Disney/ESPN honchos were saying they were completely committed to establishing LHN as a basic channel.  I wonder if that still goes?

I'd love to be able to sell tickets to those negotiations!   :contract:

They'll be more interesting than any game this year on LHN!

Since ESPN has been in several negotiations since LHN launched with other providers and none were forced to take LHN, I'd say ESPN is cutting its losses on LHN and moving on. Why do you think otherwise?

#587 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

What I'm saying is that that was the party line at the LHN launch.  If indeed Disney/ESPN has decided to forget about promoting LHN as a basic channel, then I too don't see much hope for carriage and it will fall into the same pit as the Pac 12 network .

I do get the feeling that there has been a change of heart at DirecTV, that it now has a set amount it's willing to pay for programming...and not a nickel more.

#588 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

What I'm saying is that that was the party line at the LHN launch.  If indeed Disney/ESPN has decided to forget about promoting LHN as a basic channel, then I too don't see much hope for carriage and it will fall into the same pit as the Pac 12 network .

I do get the feeling that there has been a change of heart at DirecTV, that it now has a set amount it's willing to pay for programming...and not a nickel more.

I see.

I would not be surprised to see it in the next package, however. ESPN may decide that eyeballs for ad revenue is the best way to recoup their money.

What happened to the rumors that they were going to make it more generic than just UT?

#589 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

That's a complete non-starter.  Disney/ESPN signed an agreement with the by-God University of Texas at Austin to create the network with UT-exclusive programming.  Had ESPN ever gotten the idea to put any other content on it, then the lawyers would have been all over it.  These people here run one of the best business schools in the country.  Trust me, they KNOW how to write a contract!  :contract:

Out on the west coast, I believe they say you don't mess with Disney in court.  Here in Texas, you don't mess with The University of Texas at Austin in court, either.

But where it goes after the term of the original contract...without wider carriage at some point, this isn't sustainable.  Don't think for a moment that UT isn't more than unhappy with current carriage.

Edited by mnassour, 20 August 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#590 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

That's a complete non-starter. Disney/ESPN signed an agreement with the by-God University of Texas at Austin to create the network with UT-exclusive programming. Had ESPN ever gotten the idea to put any other content on it, then the lawyers would have been all over it. These people here run one of the best business schools in the country. Trust me, they KNOW how to write a contract! :contract:

Out on the west coast, I believe they say you don't mess with Disney in court. Here in Texas, you don't mess with The University of Texas at Austin in court, either.

But where it goes after the term of the original contract...without wider carriage at some point, this isn't sustainable. Don't think for a moment that UT isn't more than unhappy with current carriage.

Uh. They are already putting non UT programming on there. Why the hell would they not want other programming if UT keeps a spotlight and it winds up on more carriers. It would be damned stupid to not find that middle ground. Or is Texas stupidity as large as Texas egos? You keep Longhorn and the UT brand on it and open up to more than 45 repeats of the same coaches show and maybe you get national coverage. You know, expand your brand.

And as for UT contracts versus Disney, I will take Disney.

#591 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

If you want to discuss this, fine.  But if you're going to be insulting I have better things to do.

#592 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

If you want to discuss this, fine. But if you're going to be insulting I have better things to do.

If you want discuss without all the Texan boasting, I won't insult anyone.

Don't feed us this Texans are better at things than anyone else in a "discussion"

• damondlt likes this

#593 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

If you want discuss without all the Texan boasting, I won't insult anyone.

Don't feed us this Texans are better at things than anyone else in a "discussion"

Tony, people say things to that effect (not necessarily about Texas mind you) everywhere here in a lot of threads. What makes you point out this fact here and not elsewhere, especially if that argument goes counter to what that gentleman is saying?

#594 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Tony, people say things to that effect (not necessarily about Texas mind you) everywhere here in a lot of threads. What makes you point out this fact here and not elsewhere, especially if that argument goes counter to what that gentleman is saying?

And I have pointed it out in the past to others. In this case it was crucial to his argument about LHN not being used differently.

What's your point?

#595 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

It's posted all over the pac-12 thread, both for and against, a thread you frequent often.

But it brings up a good point, people are naturally biased, it's human nature; some are more biased than others, while others are really good at hiding it and quite often, some are very biased and don't even know it.

People tend to overlook and discount statements that goes contrary to their biases, while concurrently positively reinforcing even the most minuscule content if it agrees with their preconceived notions.

This forum, all forums for that matter, are a testament to that.

Edit: it's not a loaded question, but more of an observation.

Edited by Bambler, 20 August 2013 - 07:56 PM.

• scoop8 likes this

#596 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,879 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

It's posted all over the pac-12 thread, both for and against, a thread you frequent often.
But it brings up a good point, people are naturally biased, it's human nature; some are more biased than others, while others are really good at hiding it and quite often, some are very biased and don't even know it.
People tend to overlook and discount statements that goes contrary to their biases, while concurrently positively reinforcing even the most minuscule content if it agrees with their preconceived notions.
This forum, all forums for that matter, are a testament to that.
Edit: it's not a loaded question, but more of an observation.

I don't see anyone saying one region is better than another. I see discussion of how much interest there is in certain things in one area or another. There is a big difference. Claiming SEC fans are more passionate and have a higher interest in their football is not saying they are better people because of it. It is not boasting to say New York fans love the Yankees. It is boasting to claim texans are smarter than anyone else and better.

I'm done with this aspect of discussion. It is a red herring. And I will not help bring the PAC 12 discussion into another thread.

#597 OFFLINE   mortimer

mortimer

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Just announced that Time Warner will be carrying LHN in Austin starting tomorrow.  Not sure that changes things much, but certainly D* can expect to lose quite a few customers in Austin because of it.  Previously it was available on UVerse, but that doesn't reach very many in the Austin area.

Living Room
HR21-700 HD DVR
Sony KDS-60A3000 60" LCD Rear Projection TV
TVIX 4100SH HD Media Receiver

Master Bedroom
HR20-700 HD DVR
Dell 24" LCD monitor

Man Cave
H21 HD Receiver
50" Toshiba HD RPTV

#598 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Revision to that announcement late this afternoon....it's in all Time Warner markets in Texas, not just Austin.  It MIGHT put SOME pressure on DirecTV, but not much as the company's primary focus is national.

#599 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Consider that DIRECTV still doesn't have the pac12 which has far more variety and games to show I doubt dtv will ever give a hoot about that channel unless the price changes a lot.

#600 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the price has dropped...a LOT.  Both UVerse and now Time Warner have picked it up outside of an overall ESPN renegotiation and if I remember correctly both providers said originally the price was too high.  Disney honchos were quoted as saying that come the next big powwow it would be part of the overall ESPN take it or leave it package.

Obviously both provider and distributors are deciding it's in their best interests to come to terms.  After all Disney eventually had to get some eyeballs watching the thing!

:eek2:

(edit) LATER:  Indeed the local paper confirms that money was the only sticking point.  I'm betting it was 75%-25%....75% a price reduction by ESPN and 25% pressure on Time Warner, as UVerse had it, and there was most likely churn due to it.

Edited by mnassour, 30 August 2013 - 08:58 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...