Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

sky New Zealand dropped the price of basic when ESPN moved from basic to sports pack.

What a reach.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

What a reach.

I wonder what the price of ESPN is on Pitcairn Island?

#463 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:16 AM

If everyone got on board to tell ESPN/ABC no then the price they want would decrease drastically.

Can't go with that, I'm afraid. You have to remember, that ESPN has waaayyyyy overpaid for the rights to a lot of sports events, such as Monday Night Football and The University of Texas package. If it doesn't recover those costs...well, you know what happens then.

#464 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

If it doesn't recover those costs...well, you know what happens then.

If it's like other corporations the CEO will be fired and given a multi million dollar golden parachute on the way out. Then they will find someother former CEO that was fired from their prior position and give them a much larger compensation package then the prior one who will raise the rates to cover the additional expenses;)

Edited by RAD, 16 October 2011 - 08:49 AM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#465 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

If everyone got on board to tell ESPN/ABC no then the price they want would decrease drastically. I've said this before, ESPN is one of the most important channels on cable obviously. But their view of themselves is overinflated. They probably know it but no collective group of operators will stand up to them

well a long NBA strike is good as soon ESPN will have little no sports on it up till baseball starts up so that is the time to drop ESPN.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#466 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

I would support D* if they decided to play hardball with the Evil Empire.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#467 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

well a long NBA strike is good as soon ESPN will have little no sports on it up till baseball starts up so that is the time to drop ESPN.

:confused::nono: ESPN will have tons of college basketball.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#468 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

:confused::nono: ESPN will have tons of college basketball.

They have already announced promotion of games from ESPNU to the main channels because if the NBA situation.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#469 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

They have already announced promotion of games from ESPNU to the main channels because if the NBA situation.

Smart. College basketball is great because there's games every night. ESPN will be fine.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#470 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

If it's like other corporations the CEO will be fired and given a multi million dollar golden parachute on the way out. Then they will find someother former CEO that was fired from their prior position and give them a much larger compensation package then the prior one who will raise the rates to cover the additional expenses;)

I am sooooooo with you on that!:lol:

I would support D* if they decided to play hardball with the Evil Empire.

Well, there's one.

#471 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Can't go with that, I'm afraid. You have to remember, that ESPN has waaayyyyy overpaid for the rights to a lot of sports events, such as Monday Night Football and The University of Texas package. If it doesn't recover those costs...well, you know what happens then.

I think maybe you misunderstand me. I don't mean people, I meant the sat/cable providers. If they told ABC to go f themselves they aren't taking on Longhorn and aren't joking the price up anymore so take your feed down if you want, then the price would fall. The choice would be get paid less or don't get paid at all. It isn't D*s fault they overpaid for the NFL and started a network for one university.

#472 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

I think maybe you misunderstand me. I don't mean people, I meant the sat/cable providers. If they told ABC to go f themselves they aren't taking on Longhorn and aren't joking the price up anymore so take your feed down if you want, then the price would fall. The choice would be get paid less or don't get paid at all. It isn't D*s fault they overpaid for the NFL and started a network for one university.

Yes indeed, I can't disagree with that....however...is DirecTV really going to chuck EVERY ESPN channel while Dish still has it? I don't think so. That, of course, is the issue. All of our posturing aside, no provider can afford to permanently be without ESPN on a permanent, or even semi-permanent basis. In the satellite biz, all ESPN has to do is threaten to cut a sweetheart deal with the other provider (regardless of which one it is) and the one possibly left out in the cold will be forced to the table.

Disney has indeed spent some stupid money with ESPN over the past year. And as any business would, it wants to recover all it can....and more. It knows that no video provider can do without the ESPN channels, that would be little more than commercial suicide. But there's no way (and I'm convinced that Disney knows this) that the providers will seriously consider giving Disney what it wants for ESPN.

Indeed, both sides are on a collision course. And we're caught in the middle.

Oh, and that thought about "everyone" getting on board to deny Disney a big increase? I think...and could be wrong...that doing that is illegal. I hope I'm wrong, but don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collusion

#473 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yes indeed, I can't disagree with that....however...is DirecTV really going to chuck EVERY ESPN channel while Dish still has it? I don't think so. That, of course, is the issue. All of our posturing aside, no provider can afford to permanently be without ESPN on a permanent, or even semi-permanent basis. In the satellite biz, all ESPN has to do is threaten to cut a sweetheart deal with the other provider (regardless of which one it is) and the one possibly left out in the cold will be forced to the table.

Disney has indeed spent some stupid money with ESPN over the past year. And as any business would, it wants to recover all it can....and more. It knows that no video provider can do without the ESPN channels, that would be little more than commercial suicide. But there's no way (and I'm convinced that Disney knows this) that the providers will seriously consider giving Disney what it wants for ESPN.

Indeed, both sides are on a collision course. And we're caught in the middle.

Oh, and that thought about "everyone" getting on board to deny Disney a big increase? I think...and could be wrong...that doing that is illegal. I hope I'm wrong, but don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collusion

Yeah I know they can't all do that. I guess what I meant is with a growing frustration with all the providers who have been around for awhile and have dealt with this over and over again (so FIOS and Uverse excluded) if 1 or 2 finally reached their breaking point and stare them down not as a unit but just because they'd had enough at the same time, others might join them in staring them down knowing they weren't alone. I was not suggesting 1 big provider conference call to deal with ESPN.

Yes, I know no one will do it...yet. At some point it may really come to that. But, the provider better be careful too. If it did decide to remove the Disney affiliated channels because they cost too much, they would need to prove that by stating that since they are no longer paying for x number of channels we will now lower your bill by y. Then state THIS is how much you were paying them with your bill and it would have been more had we agreed to what they wanted. That's why I can't stand our local cable provider Brighthouse or Dish's act. For all their yanking down of popular channels, public fights, stupid domain setups for each fight, etc and saying its to hold the costs down, their bills aren't that much different than the companies who come to agreements and move on with life.

#474 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

From what I hear, the current negotiating position from at least one provider will be that if Disney goes over a certain amount for ESPN, then that provider will demand the right to bump ESPN into a separate sports package. Actually, one big conference call to Disney MIGHT just cure this entire mess! :)

As for Dish, well, if you like their product you put up with Charlie. I know, I did for years and finally got tired of it.

#475 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

[quote name='"mnassour"

As for Dish, well, if you like their product you put up with Charlie. I know, I did for years and finally got tired of it.[/QUOTE']

I put up with him for 1. The one thing I miss is the superstations pack.

#476 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

From 10/18 but the latest update I have seen

From Suddenlink...

"As noted in our last update, we sent a proposal on Aug. 31 to ESPN, which is negotiating on behalf of the Longhorn Network. That proposal offered to give ESPN its own digital channel for the Longhorn Network, widely available to Suddenlink customers who wanted it. We told ESPN they could make this channel available for free or set whatever price they liked ? and keep all revenues, including all advertising revenues. Under that proposal, Suddenlink would have made no money.

More than a month later, we finally received a written response from ESPN, rejecting that proposal and extending a different one. ESPN’s latest proposal ? like their previous proposals ? would force all Suddenlink TV customers to take and pay for the Longhorn Network, whether they want it or not. That is simply unacceptable.

Many broadcast and cable networks ? especially sports networks ? are already quite costly and those costs are often increasing faster than the rate of inflation. We will not force our customers to take another sports network. We are, however, ready and willing to negotiate an agreement that gives our customers a choice."

http://mbd.scout.com...6&t=8115222&p=1

#477 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

And I will not disagree with Suddenlink in the least. If someone turned on the aggy channel on MY tv and raised my bill 40 cents a month, I'd be pissed.

#478 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

And I will not disagree with Suddenlink in the least. If someone turned on the aggy channel on MY tv and raised my bill 40 cents a month, I'd be pissed.

what's stopping the owners of stars, hbo, showtime from trying the same BS?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#479 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

From 10/18 but the latest update I have seen

http://mbd.scout.com...6&t=8115222&p=1

Suddenlink's stance in BS and the execs know it. Why not tell every provider that their channels are only available a-la-carte? I'm sure that would go over well.

#480 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Suddenlink's stance in BS and the execs know it. Why not tell every provider that their channels are only available a-la-carte? I'm sure that would go over well.

I am still confused as to why Suddenlink's stance is BS

The idea of my bill going up for this garbage is laughable

spam firewall