Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

I am still confused as to why Suddenlink's stance is BS

The idea of my bill going up for this garbage is laughable

Suddenlink knows ESPN would never accept a-la-carte for The Longhorn Network. There are only a few cable channels that allow for a-la-carte carriage. DISH Network offered something similar to carry the YES Network. The providers know any such suggestion is a nonstarter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Suddenlink knows ESPN would never accept a-la-carte for The Longhorn Network. There are only a few cable channels that allow for a-la-carte carriage. DISH Network offered something similar to carry the YES Network. The providers know any such suggestion is a nonstarter.

what about out of market?
Does ESPN want to force Longhorns in to basic in all parts of the system?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#483 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

what about out of market?
Does ESPN want to force Longhorns in to basic in all parts of the system?

Yes.

That's ESPN's (Disney's) position... that LHN is to be nationally carried on a basic tier with a cash payment.

And rumor has it that mandatory LHN carriage will be part of any upcoming ESPN carriage agreement.

#484 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Yes.

That's ESPN's (Disney's) position... that LHN is to be nationally carried on a basic tier with a cash payment.

And rumor has it that mandatory LHN carriage will be part of any upcoming ESPN carriage agreement.

then how did fios get to put in sports pack in the out of market areas?

What about cable co's that don't have any system in the LHN market area?

What happens when LHN be comes part of pac 12 and espn loses the network?

#485 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

then how did fios get to put in sports pack in the out of market areas?

What about cable co's that don't have any system in the LHN market area?

What happens when LHN be comes part of pac 12 and espn loses the network?

I said that was ESPN's position, positions can change.

ESPN considers the entire country LHN's market area.

You can forget about Texas going to the Pac 12 anytime soon (durnit). The Pac 12 is tired of screwing around with Texas, the Okies and all of our politics which, frankly, can be toxic. Too many egos (T. Boone Pickens, Bill Powers, Gene Stallings and such) in this part of the country.

#486 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

I love ESPN, but I hate ESPN. I don't want the LHN any more than I wanted the Big 10 Network, but I'm paying for that one too.

#487 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I love ESPN, but I hate ESPN. I don't want the LHN any more than I wanted the Big 10 Network, but I'm paying for that one too.

Join the club....love your ESPN, but loathe the suits at Disney who run it. People do every day!:lol:

#488 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

what's stopping the owners of stars, hbo, showtime from trying the same BS?

Technically, nothing. In reality, they're probably making more money as pure a la carte.

#489 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I hate ESPN. I like what they sometimes televise but that has nothing to do with liking ESPN itself.

#490 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

Technically, nothing. In reality, they're probably making more money as pure a la carte.

so what say (Viacom) takes over playboy channel and say you want MTV, Nickelodeon and others? you must put playboy in basic? will some thing like that trigger outrage?

#491 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 766 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

so what say (Viacom) takes over playboy channel and say you want MTV, Nickelodeon and others? you must put playboy in basic? will some thing like that trigger outrage?

Well, you could have the pig-washing channel on basic if the market wanted it! Unfortunately, I think competitive pig-washing will be on basic before LHN is...that's what the market (as represented by the cablecos and the sat providers) want.

#492 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

At this point, it would make just a little more sense to have a UT feature on ESPNU...

Then ESPN can whore out the Longhorns on ESPNU just like they normally do with the teams they favor.... Just a thought.

#493 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

At this point, it would make just a little more sense to have a UT feature on ESPNU...

Then ESPN can whore out the Longhorns on ESPNU just like they normally do with the teams they favor.... Just a thought.

Like the entire SEC? If the Big Ten played a 9-6 overtime game, they would claim it was bad football. Ah, but the Big Ten spurned their BTN offer.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#494 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Like the entire SEC? If the Big Ten played a 9-6 overtime game, they would claim it was bad football. Ah, but the Big Ten spurned their BTN offer.

Great point sir. It is very annoying. There is no way in hell that if the Big Ten had a game as LSU/Bama was yesterday that everyone would be saying such a great game. Damn double standards.
Go Big Red!!!

#495 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

Great point sir. It is very annoying. There is no way in hell that if the Big Ten had a game as LSU/Bama was yesterday that everyone would be saying such a great game. Damn double standards.

Agree, Tony's right. I'm in Big 12 country but I tend to watch more BTN games than regional gms in my "home" conference.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#496 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

I'm a Big Ten grad and I guess I simply disagree. The Big Ten this year is as bad as I can remember in decades. Last night's game wasn't pretty and plenty of people are ripping on the 9-6 result, but the amount of speed and athleticism just blows away what the Big Ten is putting out on the field this year, IMO. The defenses are so far better than anything the Big Ten has to offer.

I don't disagree that there is a double standard, but some of that is earned. The conference has been really poor in bowl games the last decade...finishing 6th among conferences. When OSU has made title games they've been destroyed. In my opinion, a Big Ten team going into Alabama gets their heads handed to them. Michigan State losing to Notre Dame, Ohio State to Miami (FL), Nebraska needing everything to beat a bad Fresno State team at home and then losing to Northwestern. On and on. The rep is deserved in my opinion.

I will not be surprised to see the Big Ten go 1-6 or something along those lines in bowl games again. Using the eyeball test, the talent just doesn't seem to be there other than Wisconsin...and they did their typical gag they do every year when they finally play someone of quality.

Off my soapbox.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#497 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

I hope that the LHN does not succeed. It it will only encourage ESPN to go after more 1 team networks. What a mess that would be. How much is enough college football games on Saturday.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#498 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

It isn't a double standard.

The reason for people not saying the same thing is because in the previous year both of those Big Ten teams probably lost by 30+ to the SEC teams they faced in their Bowl Games :D

#499 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,979 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm a Texas grad but I don't see the logic in having a special channel. Especially since it means we see fewer Longhorn games now on other channels than before. Several this year are only on the LHN. The local Time Warner network doesn't carry it, DirecTV doesn't either, and I don't think Dish does. We can't even get it here in the Austin area. Who needs it? I hope the providers stand their ground and the LHN dies a slow, painful death. I agree with the above comments about love/hate ESPN. :D

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#500 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

It isn't a double standard.

The reason for people not saying the same thing is because in the previous year both of those Big Ten teams probably lost by 30+ to the SEC teams they faced in their Bowl Games :D

Exaggeration is your friend.

Seriously. The Bama/LSU game was NOT good football and I love defense. But I want to at least see the offenses trying to make plays. I want to see the head coach realize that his punt returning cannot move so he cannot field a punt unless it is aimed right at him. I want to see a head coach who feels the tempo of the game and doesn't try a trick play when his team is moving the ball.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall