Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

This provides options at least. Uverse available here so it may be time to ditch DTV.

you know that they don't have nhl network and that you must buy showtime and starz to get NBA TV, MLB network, Reelz Channel, Investigation Discovery, NASA TV, Destination America and others.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

I sure hope that ATT signing up LHN will open Directv's eyes. Sooner than later too....
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#543 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

I sure hope that ATT signing up LHN will open Directv's eyes. Sooner than later too....

I'm with you on that one man, except I think LHN is asking providers for too much based on how long it's taken them to get to being on 2 to3 providers. HOOK 'EM!
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#544 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'm with you on that one man, except I think LHN is asking providers for too much based on how long it's taken them to get to being on 2 to3 providers. HOOK 'EM!

No matter how much they are asking, they are not offering enough programming to make it worthwhile for most systems.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#545 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

not news for DTV but might be news for Texas fans. Longhorn Network is now on Uverse. Channels 609 and 1609.
DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#546 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Here in Austin, that means their total number of households have more than doubled....to about 12. ;)

Actually, that gives them access to about 10% of the total cable homes in this market.

There's been a big brouhaha over it already. Multiple bars rushed out and signed up for uVerse. Then, just before last week's game, they discovered that AT&T would NOT market the LHN signal to commercial accounts. Sweet.

#547 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Here in Austin, that means their total number of households have more than doubled....to about 12. ;)

Actually, that gives them access to about 10% of the total cable homes in this market.

There's been a big brouhaha over it already. Multiple bars rushed out and signed up for uVerse. Then, just before last week's game, they discovered that AT&T would NOT market the LHN signal to commercial accounts. Sweet.

That's ridiculous. Texas and ESPN made their bed and they can lie in it, but Texas fans are the ones getting screwed here. From what I understand with the new Big 12 TV deal, Texas may be able to park a conference game this year on the LHN meaning that a third of their games are LHN exclusive.

Edited by garn9173, 09 September 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#548 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Wow. Completely mismanaged.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#549 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

That's ridiculous. Texas and ESPN made their bed and they can lie in it, but Texas fans are the ones getting screwed here. From what I understand with the new Big 12 TV deal, Texas may be able to park a conference game this year on the LHN meaning that a third of their games are LHN exclusive.

At this point, I can't imagine The University exercising an option to slip yet another game onto LHN, at least until the distribution issues are resolved. One thing to remember, UT is only providing the product. Disney is the one playing hard-to-get in the marketing department. Hell, even the bleedin' university president can't get it at his house!

As for AT&T not being able to sell it to commercial establishments, I don't think anyone's quite figured out what happened there yet. All I know is that those folks I know at The University are getting more and more pissed all the time. Methinks ESPN made some promises as to carriage that its overlords at Disney are not allowing it to keep.

UT didn't agree to this thing just for the money....it wanted the exposure as well. And it's not getting that.

Edited by mnassour, 09 September 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#550 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

At this point, I can't imagine The University exercising an option to slip yet another game onto LHN, given the hassles around it. One thing to remember, UT is only providing the product. Disney is the one playing hard-to-get in the marketing department. Hell, even the bleedin' university president can't get it at his house!

As for AT&T not being able to sell it to commercial establishments, I don't think anyone's quite figured out what happened there yet. All I know is that those folks I know at The University are getting more and more pissed all the time. Methinks ESPN made some promises as to carriage that its overlords at Disney are not allowing it to keep.

UT didn't agree to this thing just for the money....it wanted the exposure as well. And it's not getting that.

Yes. But it is pretty much karma that the Texas hubris gave them a product they are now almost running away from. I would think they could bring pressure on espn if they wanted to.

#551 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes. But it is pretty much karma that the Texas hubris gave them a product they are now almost running away from. I would think they could bring pressure on espn if they wanted to.

Karma? Hubris? We're talking about the University of Texas at Austin. It has enough money to buy all the "karma" it needs. And as for hubris, like Dizzy Dean said, "It's not bragging if you can back it up." No, it hasn't done that with LHN yet...but don't put anything past these folks.

Yes, TPTB are annoyed that carriage isn't what they want. But the big bucks keep flowing in and exposure aside, that is why this thing was done. There's a reason this university has one of the premier business schools in the country. It knows nothing if not how to make money.

And nobody's "running away" from the product. The distributors simply aren't willing to pay the price...and that's their right. Frankly, after these two football games (now concluded) I don't think I would either.

At any rate, LHN football is over so this should settle down at this point. And don't get me wrong....I certainly understand the reluctance of folks to even accept a single school channel by having it rammed down their throats as part of the basic package.

And just wondering....does anyone know when DirecTV's ESPN contract is due for renegotiation? That could be the next time we hear about this mess.

Edited by mnassour, 09 September 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#552 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Karma? Hubris? We're talking about the University of Texas at Austin. It has enough money to buy all the "karma" it needs. And as for hubris, like Dizzy Dean said, "It's not bragging if you can do it."

Yes, TPTB are annoyed that carriage isn't what they want. But the big bucks keep flowing in and exposure aside, that is why this thing was done. There's a reason this university has one of the premier business schools in the country. It knows nothing if not how to make money.

And nobody's "running away" from the product. The distributors simply aren't willing to pay the price...and that's their right. Frankly, after these two football games (now concluded) I don't think I would either.

At any rate, LHN football is over so this should settle down at this point.

And just wondering....does anyone know when DirecTV's ESPN contract is due for renegotiation?

Yes, hubris. They thought themselves big enough for a national TV network. That is hubris. And they didn't do it. That is the point. They failed except in making money. They lost exposure for at least two games. Do they show the coaches shows off LHN? Did they lose that exposure, too? Exposure is worth a lot in long term cash.

Running from? I was playing off what you said about not putting a third game on. That is running from.

Make money? You act as if only Texas knows how to make money. Far from it. Most big programs make money. And do it without losing any games on national TV. Given the size of UT and the fact that it represents the state if Texas, you'd have to be a damned fool to NOT make money.

Bottom line. LHN is a failure.

P.s. folks really have to think beyond their local area. Your post made me laugh a it displayed a very myopic view of colleges and sports.

#553 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yes, hubris. They thought themselves big enough for a national TV network. That is hubris. And they didn't do it. That is the point. They failed except in making money. They lost exposure for at least two games. Do they show the coaches shows off LHN? Did they lose that exposure, too? Exposure is worth a lot in long term cash.

Running from? I was playing off what you said about not putting a third game on. That is running from.

Make money? You act as if only Texas knows how to make money. Far from it. Most big programs make money. And do it without losing any games on national TV. Given the size of UT and the fact that it represents the state if Texas, you'd have to be a damned fool to NOT make money.

Bottom line. LHN is a failure.

P.s. folks really have to think beyond their local area. Your post made me laugh a it displayed a very myopic view of colleges and sports.

Myopic Tony? Only because I was discussing this one issue. You want to talk other conferences, etc., let's take it somewhere else.

Yes, other schools in the country have larger endowments. Harvard and Yale....that's it. So don't put UT in the same boat with the other state schools when it comes to raising money.

LHN a failure? Let's revisit this in 24 months, shall we? I don't have the answer to this, but I would be interested in seeing how long it took other sports networks to gain wide carriage after their launch. Certainly LHN is a different fish, as it is focused on only one school.

Frankly, with the new Big 12 deal just announced the entire conference will have a lot more money to play with and LHN will no longer be an issue with the other schools.

They failed except in making money. They lost exposure for at least two games. Do they show the coaches shows off LHN? Did they lose that exposure, too? Exposure is worth a lot in long term cash.

Except in making money? Most folks around here will take that kind of "failure" any day of the week!:lol: And like I said, TPTB are not happy at all with the lack of exposure. And yes, I would not be surprised if that was not being revisited even as we speak. I get the feeling that when the current deal is over (10 years) that UT will demand, and get, a say in distribution. That was the error made two years ago. UT took the money and ran. It won't make that same mistake again.

Given the size of UT and the fact that it represents the state if Texas,

Congratulations! You've just pissed off most of the State of Texas, most of whom either did not 1)graduate from UT or 2) graduated from somewhere else!

The bottom line is that UT is thrilled with the money and pissed with the distribution. And when TPTB at UT get pissed, they usually get their way. Not always, but usually. I'm pretty sure that within 24 months LHN will start showing up....on the sports tiers, where it belongs, as an option.

#554 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Myopic Tony? Only because I was discussing this one issue. You want to talk other conferences, etc., let's take it somewhere else.

Yes, other schools in the country have larger endowments. Harvard and Yale....that's it. So don't put UT in the same boat with the other state schools when it comes to raising money.

LHN a failure? Let's revisit this in 24 months, shall we? I don't have the answer to this, but I would be interested in seeing how long it took other sports networks to gain wide carriage after their launch. Certainly LHN is a different fish, as it is focused on only one school.

Frankly, with the new Big 12 deal just announced the entire conference will have a lot more money to play with and LHN will no longer be an issue with the other schools.

Except in making money? Most folks around here will take that kind of "failure" any day of the week!:lol: And like I said, TPTB are not happy at all with the lack of exposure. And yes, I would not be surprised if that was not being revisited even as we speak. I get the feeling that when the current deal is over (10 years) that UT will demand, and get, a say in distribution. That was the error made two years ago. UT took the money and ran. It won't make that same mistake again.

Congratulations! You've just pissed off most of the State of Texas, most of whom either did not 1)graduate from UT or 2) graduated from somewhere else!

The bottom line is that UT is thrilled with the money and pissed with the distribution. And when TPTB at UT get pissed, they usually get their way. Not always, but usually. I'm pretty sure that within 24 months LHN will start showing up....on the sports tiers, where it belongs, as an option.

If they are pissed about any part if the deal and made a "mistake" then LHN was a failure. They didn't do it just for the money. They wanted to build the brand even larger. They failed. Big time. LHN is a blueprint on how to not make a channel.

Don't make such a big deal about the representing Texas comment. I meant their market and you know it.

And yes, myopic.

As for endowments, I guess oil money has nothing to do with that. Yup. All just UT brilliance. Besides, The endowment ranking you are talking about is the whole system, not UT Austin, which is what we are talking about.

But goodie for them. They can make money. LHN still failed in its mission.

#555 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

If they are pissed about any part if the deal and made a "mistake" then LHN was a failure. They didn't do it just for the money. They wanted to build the brand even larger. They failed. Big time. LHN is a blueprint on how to not make a channel.

Don't make such a big deal about the representing Texas comment. I meant their market and you know it.

And yes, myopic.

As for endowments, I guess oil money has nothing to do with that. Yup. All just UT brilliance. Besides, The endowment ranking you are talking about is the whole system, not UT Austin, which is what we are talking about.

But goodie for them. They can make money. LHN still failed in its mission.

well the fail is trying to push a RSN like channel as a ESPN or NBC sports network like channel.

This channel is NOT even a BIG ten it's much more local.

And they should be not asking for being in a basic pack out side of it's area.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#556 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

DirecTV has added Longhorn Network, channel 609 (standard definition only) ....

http://www.chacha.co...on-on-direct-tv

#557 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

609 is the Big 10 network?

#558 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

609 is the Big 10 network?

That is right. do not read anything into BusterAvis post, as what is posted at that link is flat a false reporting.

#559 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

chacha.com is your source? :lol::lol::lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#560 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Do you also believe that the aliens have landed and impregnated Mitt Romney? It was in "News Of The World" after all, so it must be true. :D

609 by the way.... is the channel that AT&T U-verse assigned Longhorn Network to. (609 SD, 1609 HD)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

spam firewall