Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Folks, I'm not a moderator, but can we please stop discussing each other and calling each other names?

Re the misinformation from chacha.com web site, couldn't we just have said: "Apologies, but that's incorrect information - 609 is the Big Ten Network.", instead of feeling the need to calling the poster names? And to the poster of the chacha.com link, perhaps next time could you check on directv.com lineup to confirm that channel number xyz does carry the channel in question?

Now, back on topic, can you guys imagine if Dish were to start carrying LHN now, after picking up Pac-12? Then Dish would really be America's leader in college sports.... That said, LHN is partially owned by ESPN, so chances are Dish won't carry it anyways until addressing the larger Disney dispute....

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Can't imagine LHN being critical in determining the leader in college sports.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#563 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Can't imagine LHN being critical in determining the leader in college sports.

I don't disagree with you, but, it's all about Marketing spinning. Dish could have an add similar to the one Directv used to show, which shows all sports channels that one can't get with Dish, that Dish only has part-time RSNs in HD... Dish could launch one with Pac-12 and, were Dish to carry LHN, LHN logos and have the narrator says "If you want pac-12 or LHN, you can't get those on Directv". Heck, I should trademark this add, so that if Dish starts a "America's College Sports leader", I can at least earn some $$$ from Dish :D

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#564 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Comcast already claims that.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#565 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

I don't disagree with you, but, it's all about Marketing spinning. Dish could have an add similar to the one Directv used to show, which shows all sports channels that one can't get with Dish, that Dish only has part-time RSNs in HD... Dish could launch one with Pac-12 and, were Dish to carry LHN, LHN logos and have the narrator says "If you want pac-12 or LHN, you can't get those on Directv". Heck, I should trademark this add, so that if Dish starts a "America's College Sports leader", I can at least earn some $$$ from Dish :D

and then they drop the big ten network just after that.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#566 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yes, hubris. They thought themselves big enough for a national TV network. That is hubris. And they didn't do it. That is the point. They failed except in making money.

Make money? You act as if only Texas knows how to make money. Far from it. Most big programs make money. And do it without losing any games on national TV. Given the size of UT and the fact that it represents the state if Texas, you'd have to be a damned fool to NOT make money.

If you read the actual history behind LHN and the comments from the AD, you'd see that the UT brass did NOT think they were big enough for a national TV network. Nor did they expect the network to make money -- they were expecting to lose money initially. But...being a public institution with bidding rules...they had to open discussions to bid out the partner side of things....and MULTIPLE content providers decided to bid big bucks for a national network. So we took the money -- as any public institution should. (Fact is ESPN bid way too much and is in over their heads, but that isn't Bevo's problem)

As for the making money comment.....well, only about 5 athletic programs in the country make money....so....apparently there are a lot of fools out there that don't wear burnt orange.

I still ultimately expect LHN to be a success because ESPN will bundle it in with its other channels. In the back of my head, I'm wondering if it will maintain the same name, or if the Big XII network is just going to have a lot of Texas focused programming on it. (Rumor that I don't have a link for says that the new ESPN/Big XII contract labels LHN as an ESPN family network for cable rights purposes)

#567 OFFLINE   alevine1986

alevine1986

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

If you read the actual history behind LHN and the comments from the AD, you'd see that the UT brass did NOT think they were big enough for a national TV network. Nor did they expect the network to make money -- they were expecting to lose money initially. But...being a public institution with bidding rules...they had to open discussions to bid out the partner side of things....and MULTIPLE content providers decided to bid big bucks for a national network. So we took the money -- as any public institution should. (Fact is ESPN bid way too much and is in over their heads, but that isn't Bevo's problem)

As for the making money comment.....well, only about 5 athletic programs in the country make money....so....apparently there are a lot of fools out there that don't wear burnt orange.

I still ultimately expect LHN to be a success because ESPN will bundle it in with its other channels. In the back of my head, I'm wondering if it will maintain the same name, or if the Big XII network is just going to have a lot of Texas focused programming on it. (Rumor that I don't have a link for says that the new ESPN/Big XII contract labels LHN as an ESPN family network for cable rights purposes)

Yes, it is part of the new Big 12 TV deal...

http://mattsarzsport...tball2012/Big12

It looks like the first UT game it shows is the one game every Big 12 team gets to do with what they want. Any subsequent games count towards ESPN's pool of Big 12 games. Since ESPN can show 19 games per year, technically, they can put all home games on the LHN. That would be almost impossible though because many times FMG picks ahead of ESPN and certainly will take the Big 12's biggest draw a lot. Also, Disney will want them on ABC a few times as well. The OU game is the only one scheduled so far, but there will be more.

#568 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I just saw where Cablevision just re upped with ESPN. Appears the Longhorn Network was included. Possible that any future deals will have to include it?!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#569 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

I just saw where Cablevision just re upped with ESPN. Appears the Longhorn Network was included. Possible that any future deals will have to include it?!

That's what I was originally thinking...that ESPN would just try to get it placement at renewal time. Is it on a basic tier or with sports packages?

Here's the Variety article:

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118060259

#570 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

That's what I was originally thinking...that ESPN would just try to get it placement at renewal time. Is it on a basic tier or with sports packages?

Here's the Variety article:

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118060259

That I don't know
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#571 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

http://digitaltexan....k/article41745/

Mack Brown may have stepped in it Monday after complaining that he’d rather not have to bother with the Longhorn Network.

Brown said that he “didn’t ask for” the $300 million ESPN Longhorn Network.

It was a somewhat shocking statement since the ESPN produced Longhorn Network is a first in college sports and will net the athletic program $300 (million) over 20 years.

oops......

#572 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Mack's still addled by the beating that OU put on 'em.

Sounds like The Longhorn Network is taking up lots of Mack's time.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#573 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mack's still addled by the beating that OU put on 'em.

Sounds like The Longhorn Network is taking up lots of Mack's time.

Ayup. Looking for someone to blame.

#574 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

A bump for some news....Charter has come on board.

http://www.statesman...-network/nTjgm/

#575 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

A bump for some news....Charter has come on board.

http://www.statesman...-network/nTjgm/

in region only?? or all charter systems?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#576 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

in region only?? or all charter systems?

Article says Texas, Louisiana and Virginia (!!!)

#577 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

A bit of an update here....from local sportswriter Kirk Bohls in today's Austin paper. It looks like the fate on Longhorn Network and perhaps other such regional networks may be before DirecTV soon.

2. You can expect ESPN to announce soon that it has reached an agreement to start the SEC Network, a development that Texas women’s athletic director Chris Plonsky said would be good news for the Longhorn Network’s prospects of gaining further distribution. The LHN still has not been picked up by any of the big four cable or satellite distributors. ESPN’s contract with DirecTV ends soon, so DirecTV “will be the next ones it has conversations with,” Plonsky tells me. And any time ESPN is talking with Time Warner Cable, even if it’s about a partner like the Southeastern Conference, it can only help the negotiating process. An ESPN spokesman said it does not comment on terms of its contacts.

The rest of the article of generally not TV-related, but here's the link:

http://www.statesman...by-texas/nWFC7/

#578 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Are there ANY updates or information regarding LHN on DTV? Dead in the water? Nada? Zilch?

#579 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

I guess if Pac-12 is having issues getting on DTV; Longhorn Network seems even a less of a chance. I would say the same thing if Ohio State tried to go it alone with its own network. Ohio State and Texas have the largest number of living alumni, but not enough to make a channel like Longhorn Network viable in the long term. Over time I expect the SEC to invite Texas and Oklahoma to their conference, and the Longhorn network could morph into the SEC Network; in that case there is a much larger interest. i also expect that PAC-12 will abandon their seven channel model, because that model is not sustainable for DBS. Seven slots are very expensive to begin with, as is one slot, Both Longhorn network and PAC-12 suffer from space allocation issue, and cost to make it viable for carriage and what subscribers would have to pay.

Are there ANY updates or information regarding LHN on DTV? Dead in the water? Nada? Zilch?

#580 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I guess if Pac-12 is having issues getting on DTV; Longhorn Network seems even a less of a chance. I would say the same thing if Ohio State tried to go it alone with its own network. Ohio State and Texas have the largest number of living alumni, but not enough to make a channel like Longhorn Network viable in the long term. Over time I expect the SEC to invite Texas and Oklahoma to their conference, and the Longhorn network could morph into the SEC Network; in that case there is a much larger interest. i also expect that PAC-12 will abandon their seven channel model, because that model is not sustainable for DBS. Seven slots are very expensive to begin with, as is one slot, Both Longhorn network and PAC-12 suffer from space allocation issue, and cost to make it viable for carriage and what subscribers would have to pay.

Pac12 will not be changing their setup at all. They are making some money now, just not as much as they want. It works fine for sat, they run the national plus alt channels for games. That's working fine for dish. That isn't the issue, price is the issue, just as it is for the longhorn.

Ad anyone thinking that a new round of negotiating for espn is going to get to in and of itself allow espn to force DIRECTV or anyone else to carry the long horn network isn't thinking logically. They will push for it,but they aren't going to hold up a deal and risk espn going dark for that one channel. But the providers probably will. We know DIRECTV isn't afraid to yank or ignore channels anymore, and espn would be in big trouble if they lost DIRECTV even for a few days. Dnt would be ok as long as it didn't last to long.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

spam firewall