Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Niche Network. Maybe delivered via regional spot beam would be best. Directv needs the room for the new Lakers and Padres sport networks.

LOL, you actually think there are more people who follow the San Diego Padres than the University of Texas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

LOL, you actually think there are more people who follow the San Diego Padres than the University of Texas?

Please review 150+ Padres Games vs 2 U of Texas games.
It's only tv!

#43 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

I'll tell you this much.

The Padres signed a 20 year deal with Fox Sports that is worth between $25-30M per season, or almost twice as much what ESPN offered Texas.

And all in all, it really depends on which part of the country you are from. In some areas, college sports is second to Jesus, notably in the south. Where I grew up, if we do watch college football or basketball or whichever, it would simply be for entertainment purposes only.

I'm certain that UT would draw a hefty sum and I would watch because I like sports in general. But comparing them to the Padres is Apples and Oranges.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#44 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'll tell you this much.

The Padres signed a 20 year deal with Fox Sports that is worth between $25-30M per season, or almost twice as much what ESPN offered Texas.

And all in all, it really depends on which part of the country you are from. In some areas, college sports is second to Jesus, notably in the south. Where I grew up, if we do watch college football or basketball or whichever, it would simply be for entertainment purposes only.

I'm certain that UT would draw a hefty sum and I would watch because I like sports in general. But comparing them to the Padres is Apples and Oranges.

The price is based upon hours of live programming, not the ratings. I assure you that Texas football draws more eyeballs per hour than a Padres game.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#45 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Living in Oklahoma, I'd pay DirecTV $0.40 a month to keep it OFF the satellite! :sure:

Hell Ya.............. :hurah:
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#46 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

does anyone think this network will fail and close later down the road.

I mean if they do well, how many other schools will want there own sports networks next thing you know there will be a college sport pack 600 schools having there own network.

couldn't they have made a big 12 network.

Texas is pretty big.... and college sport is probably bigger in Texas then anywhere else. Well everything in Texas is big anyways. :D

In think they would have enough viewers to make it commercially interesting. There are RSN's with less viewers I would imagine.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#47 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

If World War III broke out on the same day as a UT football game, the local news would lead with UT football, yea it's big down here.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#48 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

If World War III broke out on the same day as a UT football game, the local news would lead with UT football, yea it's big down here.

Yeah. I second that. UT football is LIFE in Austin and all of Central Texas for that matter. I must have this channel DirecTV!!! HOOK 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#49 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yeah. I second that. UT football is LIFE in Austin and all of Central Texas for that matter. I must have this channel DirecTV!!! HOOK 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am no fan of UT (even though I have a couple of friends who played baseball there) but I want it, too. More sports makes me more happy.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#50 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

It would be in DIRECTV's best long term interest to not add this channel. DBS has bandwidth limitations that are harder to address than a local cable affiliate. If this becomes the next trend in the college money grab called college sports it will have some serious negative impacts to DBS and it's customers.

FYI $0.40 for this channel is an insane price point. I don't care how big of a fan base it has.

#51 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

well as of now Directv doesn't plan to get the channel. hopefully they value the risks / reward.

based off of what everyone has been typing it seems it would be a bad move to ad.

#52 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

well as of now Directv doesn't plan to get the channel. hopefully they value the risks / reward.

based off of what everyone has been typing it seems it would be a bad move to ad.

As of now, none of the providers in my area, on the zipcode check.... (Time warner, AT&T U-Verse, DirecTV, and Dish) are planning to add the channel. The announcement may be too fresh, and providers are still feeling the waters.

You can bet Texans are going to make BIG complaints if they can't watch their UT games though on DirecTV. ;)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#53 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

i wonder if people have been filling out the request to add the network on directv. the longhorn site allows u to type a message to each one's provider

#54 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

Which two games would it be? I doubt the big games like Texas/Oklahoma or Texas vs. USC would be restricted to this channel. I am thinking it would be something like Texas vs New Mexico State or UTEP.
It's only tv!

#55 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

As of now, none of the providers in my area, on the zipcode check.... (Time warner, AT&T U-Verse, DirecTV, and Dish) are planning to add the channel.

No one has signed on yet. Entering in your zip just gives ESPN an idea of how much demand for the channel there is and where exactly that demand resides.

#56 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

Which two games would it be? I doubt the big games like Texas/Oklahoma or Texas vs. USC would be restricted to this channel. I am thinking it would be something like Texas vs New Mexico State or UTEP.

The Rice opener. http://www.burntoran...-big-12-contest

The second should be a home conference game. Rumor has it Texas-Tech is a likely candidate since that would further drive up the demand for the channel in Texas.

"Does the 2nd game have to be a Texas home game? I assume that it does, so either road game vs. Missouri and Oklahoma St. could end up being the other ABC appearance. That leaves home games vs. the Kansas schools, plus Texas Tech as options. My money feels safe on Texas Tech. Makes sense too since you are trying to sell the network in Texas." - http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/

#57 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

Found it.

Texas vs Rice.

and the other one looks to be another Big 12 game possibly vs Oklahoma State.

Big Whoop. :hurah:

http://www.espnmedia...-games-in-2011/
It's only tv!

#58 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

No one has signed on yet. Entering in your zip just gives ESPN an idea of how much demand for the channel there is and where exactly that demand resides.

Darn it. I entered my zip code already. Now ESPN thinks they can hold Directv hostage with their data they got off me. :D
It's only tv!

#59 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

it be funny if espn gameplan uses the same simulcast of the longhorn network when they air the 2 games.

then will be watching the same telecast

#60 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

it be funny if espn gameplan uses the same simulcast of the longhorn network when they air the 2 games.

then will be watching the same telecast

Of course it will be. However if if you're in that market I could see a blackout happening on the gameplan channel.

spam firewall