Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

Well espn would have gone dark everywhere if they said take the longhorn network at a high price or we pull espn. :). They have a strong position but not that strong.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Oh, agreed.  There would have been a LOT of stink had that happened.

What we were told UT was promised was that LHN would be part of the ESPN package, as much as ESPN2 or any other, when it came to negotiations.  I don't know if those have come and gone over the past couple of years or not.

I understand the ESPN contract with Dish is up, what, October 1?  If that's the case then if LHN shows up on Dish you can pretty much bet it'll be in DirecTV the next time around.

Edited by mnassour, 31 August 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#603 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Oh, agreed. There would have been a LOT of stink had that happened.

What we were told UT was promised was that LHN would be part of the ESPN package, as much as ESPN2 or any other, when it came to negotiations. I don't know if those have come and gone over the past couple of years or not.

I understand the ESPN contract with Dish is up, what, October 1? If that's the case then if LHN shows up on Dish you can pretty much bet it'll be in DirecTV the next time around.

Just like the pac12? I wouldn't bet on anything DIRECTV looks at their own stuff an doesn't care to much what others do at all.

#604 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Just like the pac12? I wouldn't bet on anything DIRECTV looks at their own stuff an doesn't care to much what others do at all.

Yep....point taken.  I had forgotten about that fiasco.  

#605 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

It's time to flare this thread back up.

Expect some news.

#606 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:57 PM

I really hope directv gets everything else but doesn't pick this channel up. It's almost as bad as the Dodgers Chanel and they don't deserve to be rewarded, just as the Dodgers don't deserve to be. They need to kill this channel. Sadly I'm sure it'll be there for in market at least soon...

#607 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

I really hope directv gets everything else but doesn't pick this channel up. It's almost as bad as the Dodgers Chanel and they don't deserve to be rewarded, just as the Dodgers don't deserve to be. They need to kill this channel. Sadly I'm sure it'll be there for in market at least soon...

Like it or not, with their connection to ESPN consider it a done deal ... national carriage in Choice and above in HD. The good news is that it isn't a $5 per subscriber network.

I challenge DirecTV to surprise me. Renew ABC/Disney/ESPN and not carry LHN in Choice nationwide.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#608 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I could under stand a Big 12 network, but not a network for a single school.  Even Kentucky's Big Blue Network was never intended to be a full time channel.  It was just an outlet for games that were not picked up nationally or regionally.  Several RSNs would pick up the BBN broadcasts, so they were available on DirecTV in the Sports Pack without a separate contract for DirecTV to carry the BBN.

#609 OFFLINE   cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

The Longhorn Network costs Peanuts compared to everything else. I've said all along that DirecTV would never let this new deal get done without it bring added. Heck they probably gave a discount somewhere else to get them to take it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#610 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

I don't think DirecTV has a choice to not carry this channel.

However, whether they carry it between the start of the football season and the beginning of their new package contract remains to be seen, unlike the SEC channel, which I believe they must have struck a separate deal to fill that time gap.

What is the price? $0.40 cents per?

The SEC was what? $1.30 or $1.40? Big Ten is now $1?

That's about $0.10 cents per team, give or take. The Pac is even less at $0.07 cents per team. I don't think it's cheap from a per team basis, but I don't think DirecTV can say no. They'll take it and smile while getting railroaded.

Edited by Bambler, 07 August 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#611 OFFLINE   crg5698

crg5698

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

It's time to flare this thread back up.

Expect some news.

In the next 24-48 hours or when should we expect an annoucement?

#612 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

DIRECTV looks at their own stuff an doesn't care to much what others do at all.

That's what you think,  at least to what Dish or even Comcast does,  Directv doesn't want Dish and Comcast rubbing it on their face when it comes to programming like SEC Network, Even with PAC12 they didn't like the exclusive deal with Dish.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#613 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just because they didn't like any of it doesn't mean they will cut a deal one way or the other because of it. They do the math on their subscribers to decide what to carry.

#614 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

LHN in Choice nationwide would be a travesty. Talk about a low interest channel. Apologies to the Longhorn fans that want it, but despite the size of their school and alumni base it is still a fraction of the nation. What's next, do the Iowa State Cyclones change partners for the Cyclone Network from Mediacom to ESPN so they can get their channel forced on providers in a few years? :nono2:

This really needs to be considered an RSN, so only people in Texas are paying for it and others can get it if they subscribe to a sports pak along with the other out of region RSNs. Even then, I'm sure the A&M and TCU fans will be as excited about being forced to pay for this as Longhorn fans would be excited to pay for a TCU only channel.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#615 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Most likely it would be in Sports Pack.

http://www.barkingca...ide-sec-network

Edited by BusterAvis, 07 August 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#616 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

LHN in Choice nationwide would be a travesty. Talk about a low interest channel. Apologies to the Longhorn fans that want it, but despite the size of their school and alumni base it is still a fraction of the nation. What's next, do the Iowa State Cyclones change partners for the Cyclone Network from Mediacom to ESPN so they can get their channel forced on providers in a few years? :nono2:

This really needs to be considered an RSN, so only people in Texas are paying for it and others can get it if they subscribe to a sports pak along with the other out of region RSNs. Even then, I'm sure the A&M and TCU fans will be as excited about being forced to pay for this as Longhorn fans would be excited to pay for a TCU only channel.

I'm in Texas and I don't want to pay for it. Only Longhorns fans want it- no one else.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#617 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

That's not entirely true.

I'm not a Longhorns fan, and I want the network, simply because it only cost 35 to 40 cents in market, and 10 cents out of market (and I don't live in Texas).

It's worth that to me, it's actually worth $2.00 to me, as I love college sports, and this is coming from someone that is not a Longhorns fan.

More college sports channels = better, especially when they are so cheap per month for my provider to take on.

I'm sorry, but 40 cents per month in today's day and age is peanuts.  Actually, you can't even buy a mini size pack of peanuts for that price.

#618 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I'm not a Longhorns fan, and I want the network, simply because it only cost 35 to 40 cents in market, and 10 cents out of market (and I don't live in Texas).

It's worth that to me, it's actually worth $2.00 to me, as I love college sports, and this is coming from someone that is not a Longhorns fan.

More college sports channels = better, especially when they are so cheap per month for my provider to take on.

I'm sorry, but 40 cents per month in today's day and age is peanuts.  Actually, you can't even buy a mini size pack of peanuts for that price.

Would you feel the same way if all 65 teams in the big 5 conferences had their own team channel? How about all 120-odd Division I-A teams?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#619 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Have you actually watched LHN?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#620 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

Would you feel the same way if all 65 teams in the big 5 conferences had their own team channel? How about all 120-odd Division I-A teams?

Of course not.  Only the big time schools deserve their own network.

I wouldn't mind having a Texas Network, Notre Dame network, Alabama network, Florida network, Ohio State network, Michigan network, Stanford network, UCLA network, etc.

I'll pay a $1.00 or even $2.00 per month for those.  Or a $15,95 per month separate college sports package to get all of those channels.  It would be worth it to me.

No smaller university has a chance to get on TV.  Only the major universities do, such as the ones I highlighted in bold text above.

spam firewall