Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
624 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

...Fox Sports Ohio broadcasts the Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)

The LeBron-less Cavaliers -- THERES a product that is in demand

...D* usually goes after sports networks that have significant content that is likely to have mass appeal.

You mean, like the Pursuit Channel? If there is bandwidth (and demand) for that, there is space for the Longhorn Network.

The Longhorn Network as it stands now is not likely to work.

$300,000,000 says you are wrong. Money talks, internet jaw flappin' walks.

Edited by scm, 11 July 2011 - 05:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

[quote name='espnjason']Compare your (burnt) orange to this apple, Fox Sports Ohio broadcasts the Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) and the Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) - which accounts for a good 120-150 broadcasts between two of those teams, and supplemented by Ohio State and some games in the MAC. D* usually goes after sports networks that have significant content that is likely to have mass appeal.
[/quote]
There are Ohio State games on FSN Ohio? I don't think so.
[/QUOTE]
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#83 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

ive never seen ohio state on FSN ohio. do they do like a magazine show or something?

#84 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

ive never seen ohio state on FSN ohio. do they do like a magazine show or something?

They do a live show from a local car dealership or tattoo shop. :lol::lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#85 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

There are Ohio State games on FSN Ohio? I don't think so.

They do a live show from a local car dealership or tattoo shop. :lol::lol:

Alright, I thought I saw a womens basketball game on there as i was flipping channels, may be a coincidence.

#86 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

comment.png

I had to do a screen-capture for that one.

I didn't know UT received a 1,000:1 appreciation on the value of its network. I suppose to some people. But even the YES Network or NESN couldn't pull that one off.

RSNs are the foundation of the Subscription packages, despite your comment on the Cavs.

#87 OFFLINE   scm

scm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

[ATTACH]25958[/ATTACH]
RSNs are the foundation of the Subscription packages, despite your comment on the Cavs.

Yea, and so is the Pursuit Channel. I know it may be hard to grasp that there is a significant portion of 6.5 million households that are even more devoted to UT sports than some others are to the Cleveland Cavaliers. The issue isn't content -- it is demand. UT will have plenty of content -- men's & women's BB, perennial NCAA tourney women's volleyball, etc. Not to mention a baseball team that has such good home attendance that it is a revenue sport. I don't think there are many schools where the student bookstore has four off campus stores, around the state -- all because of demand for Texas paraphenalia. It is also that demand that makes the UT football program the largest grossing in the nation -- more than $20M per year more than second place tOSU.

If you haven't seen it, it is probably incomprehensible.

#88 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

You are grossly underestimated what BYUTV is going to be. From what I have read it will basically go to an all sports channel. They plan to show live broadcast of over 140 BYU sporting events a year. Also they plan to have a college game day type show before every game. I truly believe it will be the envy of any program out there, as far as fans getting to see their team.

On top of that, BYUtv is on ROKU in HD. Hopefully DirecTV picks up the HD feed for football and basketball games, at least.

#89 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

The LeBron-less Cavaliers -- THERES a product that is in demand

The Cavs have the 7th best ratings in the NBA. So, yes, there's still plenty of people watching even without Lebron. If you wanna continue comparing FS Ohio's teams - go ahead. The Reds are in the Top 5 among MLB teams. The only team that lacks strong ratings on a regular basis are the Blue Jackets.

Yea, and so is the Pursuit Channel. I know it may be hard to grasp that there is a significant portion of 6.5 million households that are even more devoted to UT sports than some others are to the Cleveland Cavaliers. The issue isn't content -- it is demand. UT will have plenty of content -- men's & women's BB, perennial NCAA tourney women's volleyball, etc. Not to mention a baseball team that has such good home attendance that it is a revenue sport. I don't think there are many schools where the student bookstore has four off campus stores, around the state -- all because of demand for Texas paraphenalia. It is also that demand that makes the UT football program the largest grossing in the nation -- more than $20M per year more than second place tOSU.

The Pursuit Channel is largely paid programming. Why are you comparing a channel that is made up of production companies paying for the content to a RSN? As I said before, I don't have a problem with adding Longhorn Network but trying to compare their content to what most RSN's carry isn't going to work. And using FSO as an example is very strange. FS Ohio offers 150 Reds Games, 70 Cavs Games and 80 CBJ games. Do you really think volleyball and a handful of basketball and football games is comparable to that? Just for the record, FSO also shows college baseball, volleyball, football, basketball, etc.

UT has very devoted fans, there's no doubt about that. I do think the network is trying to overcharge for what it's offering. I don't think people are banging down doors to watch college baseball or volleyball. If they showed more football and men's basketball I would feel differently. There is a great demand for UT sports - but it's largely football and basketball, not so much the other stuff that you listed. Much of my issue with Longhorn Network will be how it will be carried. If they carry it just as an RSN, that's one thing, but I don't see it worthy of having national distribution at this time.

#90 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

How? UT doesn't own the network. It's dedicated to UT, but owned and operated by ESPN who is independent of UT.

I just think that if it isn't a violation they should make it one. :D
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#91 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

There was an article in Saturdays Dallas Morning News talking about ESPN adding talent to the fledgling Longhorn Network. They will have Lowell Galindo from ESPNU as the lead anchor, Kevin Dunn as the co-pilot and Samantha Steele as the lead reporter. It mentions the $.40 per subscriber in the state of Texas. Hoping to add it to the expanded basic tier that includes ESPN and FSSW ($2.50/subscriber). Its supposed to launch 8/26 with the exciting live coverage of the Texas-Pepperdine women's volleyball game.

Here's a [link] with a bit more info, photos of the on air team and a link to request the channel in your area.

Edited by RACJ2, 12 July 2011 - 08:06 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#92 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

The Cavs have the 7th best ratings in the NBA. So, yes, there's still plenty of people watching even without Lebron. If you wanna continue comparing FS Ohio's teams - go ahead. The Reds are in the Top 5 among MLB teams. The only team that lacks strong ratings on a regular basis are the Blue Jackets.

The Pursuit Channel is largely paid programming. Why are you comparing a channel that is made up of production companies paying for the content to a RSN? As I said before, I don't have a problem with adding Longhorn Network but trying to compare their content to what most RSN's carry isn't going to work. And using FSO as an example is very strange. FS Ohio offers 150 Reds Games, 70 Cavs Games and 80 CBJ games. Do you really think volleyball and a handful of basketball and football games is comparable to that? Just for the record, FSO also shows college baseball, volleyball, football, basketball, etc.

UT has very devoted fans, there's no doubt about that. I do think the network is trying to overcharge for what it's offering. I don't think people are banging down doors to watch college baseball or volleyball. If they showed more football and men's basketball I would feel differently. There is a great demand for UT sports - but it's largely football and basketball, not so much the other stuff that you listed. Much of my issue with Longhorn Network will be how it will be carried. If they carry it just as an RSN, that's one thing, but I don't see it worthy of having national distribution at this time.

Ratings really only have relevance within the local market as a comparison point for other local market programming.

Take a look at this story. Lebron-less cavs really took a hit. Diclaimer - I'm from Miami, and I'm a heat fan. I dislike the decision and what the rest of the nation calls our "pre-championship party".

http://www.sportsbus...SN-ratings.aspx

#93 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

Ratings really only have relevance within the local market as a comparison point for other local market programming.

Take a look at this story. Lebron-less cavs really took a hit. Diclaimer - I'm from Miami, and I'm a heat fan. I dislike the decision and what the rest of the nation calls our "pre-championship party".

http://www.sportsbus...SN-ratings.aspx

I'm not a NBA fan or an Ohio native so i could care less about the Cavs, Buckeyes or Lebron :lol:

My point still remains, that the Cavs are still one of the top rated teams in the league. The poster made a disparaging remark when trying to compare ratings on a RSN loaded with pro teams to a college network that will have a bunch of niche programming.

Does anyone honestly believe that Longhorn Network can generate ratings on a regular basis that are competitive with the RSN's that carry live sports night after night? The only time I can see them gaining significant ratings will be the football and basketball games and there's only a handful of them. I'm sure LN will have some viewers, but they will be in relative small numbers compared to most of the RSN's just because of the difference in content.

#94 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

I'm not a NBA fan or an Ohio native so i could care less about the Cavs, Buckeyes or Lebron :lol:

My point still remains, that the Cavs are still one of the top rated teams in the league. The poster made a disparaging remark when trying to compare ratings on a RSN loaded with pro teams to a college network that will have a bunch of niche programming.

Does anyone honestly believe that Longhorn Network can generate ratings on a regular basis that are competitive with the RSN's that carry live sports night after night? The only time I can see them gaining significant ratings will be the football and basketball games and there's only a handful of them. I'm sure LN will have some viewers, but they will be in relative small numbers compared to most of the RSN's just because of the difference in content.

The Cavaliers are not of the top rated teams, though. Their percentage of viewers in the market is high. Nationally, they barely make a blip on the ratings radar unless they play against Queen James.

And you keep leaving out Longhorns baseball, which is huge.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#95 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, look at the overflow crowd at the game. Must be standing room only, because nobody is sitting in seats.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
:lol:
It's only tv!

#96 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Really? I know you're still sad over Vince Young beating you guys single handedly and UT containing your illegal team, but don't be bitter. ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#97 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

They must be playing Cal-State Fullerton. ;)
It's only tv!

#98 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

They must be playing Cal-State Fullerton. ;)

:lol: Touche'.

#99 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

The Cavaliers are not of the top rated teams, though. Their percentage of viewers in the market is high. Nationally, they barely make a blip on the ratings radar unless they play against Queen James.

I know the difference between ratings and household viewers. Longhorn Network has a bigger market to be in, sure, but that doesn't mean it will have better ratings or more viewers than other RSN's. My point was the Cavs are still in demand in Cleveland and those ratings don't include people watching in Columbus, Cincy, Erie, etc. The poster claimed that there wan't a demand to watch the Cavs which just isn't true. Ratings have fallen but they are a long ways from the bottom of the league. I was simply comparing regional ratings which is what both advertisers and broadcasters use as a gauge as to whether it's successful or not compared to other in-market competition.

LN has plenty of potential with the right programming. I don't debate that one bit and as I mentioned before, I wouldn't have much issue with D* adding it. Right now, I just don't see it as having the right programming to be successful in drawing consistent viewership and I think that's going to hurt it's carriage. I know UT Baseball is popular, but as of now, it's largely unproven when it comes to drawing viewers and college baseball is largely considered a niche sport. I just think LN is missing some content compared to its RSN competitors.

#100 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

(bump)

Update: Not one carrier has agreed to carry the LHN, I knew D* wasn't going to be alone.

http://www.kansascit...e-longhorn.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...