Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm really surprised the Big 12 allowed Texas to bully them around. It's a unfair advantage allowing one school to make outside contracts like the Long Horn Network. It gives a huge advantage over other schools in funds and recruiting.

The PAC12 has built in rules not allowing this sort of thing. If your independent like ND you can do what ever you want.
If the Big 12 blows up there is no one to blame but Big 12 themselves for allowing Texas to bully the conference..... A&M is doing the smartest thing by leaving. Other teams should follow and let Texas wallow in it's own muck.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

No one wants OU because they have nothing to offer outside of football.

But football stirs the pot. The merry go round last year was about football. The Big Ten wanted Nebraska for football and a playoff.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#123 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

Tu sure has a good music program

They are good at tooting their owns horn
I hope Texas enjoys playing Iowa st 8 times a year
The Little 12 is done ;) this network will be added right after Montana gets an NFL team

#124 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

I can't imagine anyone outside of the Texas alums would watch this channel. College swimming is only watched by so many.

#125 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

I can't imagine anyone outside of the Texas alums would watch this channel. College swimming is only watched by so many.

I thought ESPNU, CBS College Sports, pro league specific, and conference specific channels were ridiculous enough. This was just plain ludicrous.

#126 OFFLINE   mp12point7

mp12point7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

Sports programming is always of interest. Saying any network isn't of interest simply because it has one or another affilliation doesn't make any sense. While not all hours will offer programming of personal interest, many hours each week will find medium tp broad interest, whether you live in the Lone Star State or California, Vermont or Florida.

#127 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Why do those Longhorns keep calling themselves UT? Don't they know that the real UT is the University of Tennessee! ;)

#128 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Why do those Longhorns keep calling themselves UT? Don't they know that the real UT is the University of Tennessee! ;)

You've got to be kidding.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#129 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

What about Toledo?

Or the state of Utah?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#130 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

who cares both are puke orange schools :lol:
the only color worse than orange is Crimson :P

#131 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Crimson and Cream!!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#132 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Crimson and Cream!!!!!!!!!!

Indiana?

#133 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Indiana?

That's Crimson and CREAN! :)

#134 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have the same problem with people referring to the University of Nebraska as "NU." Uh, there's already an NU in the Big Ten, and it's Northwestern University -- which, I note, actually does abbreviate to "NU."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#135 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

UT is in the running for the Director's Cup every year. Stanford wins it every year. :lol:

Ummmmm - you might want to check that. OU was 10th. Texas was 12th.

http://grfx.cstv.com...finald12011.pdf

#136 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

Well....let's remember, all of our various university affiliations aside ;), that this is simply a battle over money. Money has become the drug of choice for universities as institutions transition from an amateur to for all intents and purposes, a professional status.

We all know that NCAA football is little more than the NFL farm system, at least at the big schools. And the influx of college football money into Texas (the state) has put incredible strains on traditional rivalries that are about to remake the landscape of all college athletics.

This morning reports here in Central Texas were claiming that the UT athletic director tried four years ago to interest Texas A&M in a regional network and was turned down flat. Texas then went its own way and struck gold in the ESPN mine. As a result, funding for UT-Austin athletic programs will be far and away greater than any other university in the country over the next 10 years. A&M is just now realizing its mistake and is trying to make up for it by trying for a better deal (by NO means guaranteed) in the SEC.

Here in Austin we understand that a Time Warner deal is all but signed, as of today. Indeed, ESPN may want $.40 per sub for TLN, but I'd be stunned to see DirecTV ante up that kind of money....and the channel position ESPN is demanding (part of the basic package, a la NFL Network).

My own thoughts...by September 1 TLN will be on DirecTV and available in Texas as a RSN, available nationwide as an add-on, but NOT part of the basic package. Yes, Texas (the University) does have all the money in the world and more coming in via ESPN.

But it's not as rich as the NFL. Yet. ;)

And for those who are screaming how unfair all this is to any other university, fan base, cable company, whatever, remember, the UT-Austin administration is simply doing what any other university in the country would, if it had the chance. It secured a long-term funding stream in order to make an already rich athletic program the envy of every other athletic director in the country. Don't believe me? Just get two or three beers in your local AD and then ask him what he really thinks of The Longhorn Network. Unfortunately, most of those other universities will never have the same opportunity UT had as they are already tied into other TV deals. How did Texas get such a sweetheart deal? By promising to remain in the Big 12 when last year the conference was about to dissolve. And when Texas and perhaps three other schools wind up in whatever the Pac10/12 becomes, The Longhorn Network will remain.

It's not personal. It's just business.

It's how UT does business. It and ESPN play hardball just like any other program provider.

And it's coming....eventually....to satellite in one form or another.

(The obligatory disclaimer...I'm a UT grad, Bachelor of Journalism, 1977, but I'd like to think I can still look at this objectively.:))

Edited by mnassour, 17 August 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#137 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Ummmmm - you might want to check that. OU was 10th. Texas was 12th.

http://grfx.cstv.com...finald12011.pdf

Finally, OU was top 10. :rolleyes: This is the only year OU has been top 10, whereas, Texas has been in the top 10 13 times. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#138 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

This thread does confirm one thing quite clearly:

Seeing how many of you cheer for their team and team colors, there is a HIGH interest in any type of college/university sports channels.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#139 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

I think I'll celebrate the opening Saturday of College Football by watching Match Game until 4, then baseball until I go to bed.

#140 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

Well....let's remember, all of our various university affiliations aside ;), that this is simply a battle over money. Money has become the drug of choice for universities as institutions transition from an amateur to for all intents and purposes, a professional status.

We all know that NCAA football is little more than the NFL farm system, at least at the big schools. And the influx of college football money into Texas (the state) has put incredible strains on traditional rivalries that are about to remake the landscape of all college athletics.

This morning reports here in Central Texas were claiming that the UT athletic director tried four years ago to interest Texas A&M in a regional network and was turned down flat. Texas then went its own way and struck gold in the ESPN mine. As a result, funding for UT-Austin athletic programs will be far and away greater than any other university in the country over the next 10 years. A&M is just now realizing its mistake and is trying to make up for it by trying for a better deal (by NO means guaranteed) in the SEC.

Here in Austin we understand that a Time Warner deal is all but signed, as of today. Indeed, ESPN may want $.40 per sub for TLN, but I'd be stunned to see DirecTV ante up that kind of money....and the channel position ESPN is demanding (part of the basic package, a la NFL Network).

My own thoughts...by September 1 TLN will be on DirecTV and available in Texas as a RSN, available nationwide as an add-on, but NOT part of the basic package. Yes, Texas (the University) does have all the money in the world and more coming in via ESPN.

But it's not as rich as the NFL. Yet. ;)

And for those who are screaming how unfair all this is to any other university, fan base, cable company, whatever, remember, the UT-Austin administration is simply doing what any other university in the country would, if it had the chance. It secured a long-term funding stream in order to make an already rich athletic program the envy of every other athletic director in the country. Don't believe me? Just get two or three beers in your local AD and then ask him what he really thinks of The Longhorn Network. Unfortunately, most of those other universities will never have the same opportunity UT had as they are already tied into other TV deals. How did Texas get such a sweetheart deal? By promising to remain in the Big 12 when last year the conference was about to dissolve. And when Texas and perhaps three other schools wind up in whatever the Pac10/12 becomes, The Longhorn Network will remain.

It's not personal. It's just business.

It's how UT does business. It and ESPN play hardball just like any other program provider.

And it's coming....eventually....to satellite in one form or another.

(The obligatory disclaimer...I'm a UT grad, Bachelor of Journalism, 1977, but I'd like to think I can still look at this objectively.:))

Sorry. You are wearing burnt orange glasses.

UT bullied and played games with the Pac 10, the Big 12 and even the Big Ten to a degree. They pouted and they took advantage of a weak Big 12 trying to have their cake and eat it too. Oh, then try to circumvent recruiting rules by highlighting recruits on their network in high school games. Yup, just business. If that is just business, so is a cartel.

I sincerely hope they crash and burn. Maybe when they have another downturn in football like they did before Mack Brown....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...