Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
690 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

(truncated)

In all objectivity, the Longhorns are making themselves out to be more than they actually are, but don't worry I have the same sentiment for Notre Dame. But the Big XII conference as it stood for the last decade and a half pretty much revolved around Texas, and I bet anything that there is a hefty amount of quiet resentment towards Austin. Which is the reason why I support TX A&M to the SEC, where at least that conference is not only more competitive, but has a strong sense of egalitarianism, which ironically is the reason why Colorado and Nebraska recently left.

But back to the LHN, I just do not see the mass appeal unless it somehow converts to the Big XII Network, which UT doesn't want and would rather have all to themselves. UT will end up as an independent if they still want their own network, otherwise it will dissolve before long.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

This thread does confirm one thing quite clearly:

Seeing how many of you cheer for their team and team colors, there is a HIGH interest in any type of college/university sports channels.

+ 1
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#143 OFFLINE   skylab

skylab

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

Finally, OU was top 10. :rolleyes: This is the only year OU has been top 10, whereas, Texas has been in the top 10 13 times. ;)

Ohio University Bobcats rule. Really looking forward to heading down to Athens to see the OU-Miami game this year on ESPN Tuesday night football.

#144 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

Sorry. You are wearing burnt orange glasses.

UT bullied and played games with the Pac 10, the Big 12 and even the Big Ten to a degree. They pouted and they took advantage of a weak Big 12 trying to have their cake and eat it too. Oh, then try to circumvent recruiting rules by highlighting recruits on their network in high school games. Yup, just business. If that is just business, so is a cartel.

I sincerely hope they crash and burn. Maybe when they have another downturn in football like they did before Mack Brown....

Soooo...just what do you think the NCAA is? What do you think the entire Bowl system is? Of COURSE it's a cartel. And within a cartel, some members are, well, to quote Orwell, "more equal than others". And sir, I'm afraid that if you think any major collegiate football conference in this country operates any differently, I would suggest with no disrespect...that perhaps your glasses are rose colored.

It today's college football, money from the networks, cable and satellite runs the show. If you want to dump on a school because it's good at working the system, go right ahead. But remember, it'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

EDIT: Oh yea, the thing about the High School games was a potential time bomb. As you probably know by now, UT has agreed to not televise any High School games the first year so that the NCAA can take a look at the issue.

Edited by mnassour, 17 August 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#145 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

In all objectivity, the Longhorns are making themselves out to be more than they actually are, but don't worry I have the same sentiment for Notre Dame. But the Big XII conference as it stood for the last decade and a half pretty much revolved around Texas, and I bet anything that there is a hefty amount of quiet resentment towards Austin. Which is the reason why I support TX A&M to the SEC, where at least that conference is not only more competitive, but has a strong sense of egalitarianism, which ironically is the reason why Colorado and Nebraska recently left.

But back to the LHN, I just do not see the mass appeal unless it somehow converts to the Big XII Network, which UT doesn't want and would rather have all to themselves. UT will end up as an independent if they still want their own network, otherwise it will dissolve before long.

Quiet? Quiet? Quiet Hell!:lol: I think Tony D has demonstrated here the attitude of many folks who out and out loathe Texas. There's no doubt the so-called "Big 12" (soon to be nine) is the most unbalanced conference in the country, what with the two strongest members down south and the northern remains, well, almost non-competitive. And don't think for a moment that UT would ever become an independent. For UT, that's not where the money is, not when you can milk a conference for all it's worth. And as of this afternoon, the welcome mat was still out for UT to join the Pac 10/12.

As a matter of fact, the local talk radio guys here in Austin have taken to calling UT the "Death Star". I think Nebraskans know what that means. UT and the other Southwest Conference majors invaded the Big 8, took it over and made it their playpen. Years of great Midwestern tradition was sacrificed on the altar of television money. You know, I feel for Nebraska. I really do! I can't imagine how I would have felt had the old Southwest Conference invited in four Pac 10 teams, then had them take over with UT and A&M left to run screaming to the SEC in search of dollars. That just wasn't right. Those are good folks up there, and they deserved better.

Hey people, if you want to blame someone, don't blame UT. Look in the mirror. That's where you'll see the eyeballs that watch the games, that shop for the shirts, that fund the...the...cartel.

As for the mass appeal of The Longhorn Network, we'll have to see. Frankly, I don't want to watch women's swimming (as exciting as it can be) at 3:00 a.m. any more than anyone else.

Like everything else...if it makes money, it will succeed. If not, it will go away.

#146 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Quiet? Quiet? Quiet Hell!:lol: I think Tony D has demonstrated here the attitude of many folks who out and out loathe Texas.

Wrong. I have no dog in the hunt other than wanting to see wanton arrogance getting its come uppance.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#147 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:07 AM

Wrong. I have no dog in the hunt other than wanting to see wanton arrogance getting its come uppance.

:lol:

OK, Tony. Works for me!

To quote Dizzy Dean: "It's not bragging if you can do it."

Edited by mnassour, 18 August 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#148 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

:lol:

OK, Tony. Works for me!

To quote Dizzy Dean: "It's not bragging if you can do it."

So, whatever you can get away with is fine. Screw partnerships. Screw everyone but number 1. What about when UT was down for years and years? If that happens again, it is just fine for others to take advantage and you will be okay with that?

Go ahead. Ride high. Take what you can. Bully everyone just cause you are on top. Nice.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#149 OFFLINE   JB14075

JB14075

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

I wonder if OU fans on this thread that are crying about UT/LHN realize that their school is sitting back & watching what happens with LHN because they want to start their own network within the next few years. That is why you don't see OU's administration trying to get out of the conference asap (like A&M). The Big XII is the only major conference that will allow a school specific network & you better believe OU will start one if they determine that they can make a profit on it.

#150 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

I wonder if OU fans on this thread that are crying about UT/LHN realize that their school is sitting back & watching what happens with LHN because they want to start their own network within the next few years.

If you read this entire thread, you might have noticed that those of us that disagreed with the lhn as it sands right now has more to do with the limited content and the myopic nature of this. And I already stated that the Longhorns are making themselves out to be more than they actually are.

Now if lhn were to be one of those closed circuit channels that could only be broadcast on campus grounds or accessed online, I'd be okay with that.. But ESPN wanted the channel in New Mexico, Louisiana, and Oklahoma on top of Texas. If I was at a college within that 4-state target region, I would be crying foul over that as well, and I do not blame the Cable companies that refused to carry the lhn at its current asking price with only two football games and eight men's basketball games.

The Longhorns need to come back to earth and realize that they are not the Yankees, Red Sox, Cowboys, or Lakers of the NCAA. And I don't mean to give away my age, but Longhorn football has only won one national title for as long as I've been alive, or quite a bit of us for that matter. And frankly, I've never heard of the University of Texas until Roger Clemens' rookie season.

Edit: As I've previously stated, I think it is best for all parties involved if the Big XII network came about and all schools had an equal stake. But Austin didn't want it.

Edited by espnjason, 19 August 2011 - 08:31 AM.
addendum

#151 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

Edit: As I've previously stated, I think it is best for all parties involved if the Big XII network came about and all schools had an equal stake. But Austin didn't want it.

This is key. When the Big XII was at the edge of falling off the cliff (already lost Colorado and Nebraska with more defections reported), UT snatched that opportunity to take advantage of its bretheren and held the Big XII hostage to its very existence (UT at the time was flirting with the Pac 10).

That is not doing well within the system, that is being a bully.

#152 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

OK, here's more fuel for the fire.

While the Big12/NCAA have pretty much put the kibosh on running live high school games on the channel, ESPN has announced that it plans to run highlights of high school games on a regular basis. Here's the article from today's San Antonio paper.

http://www.mysananto...all-2122892.php

In other words, they're going to showcase the top players as part of a newscast, so that the conference and/or the NCAA won't have a say in it. Basically, that's more of a showcase than the games ever would have been since only the recruits Texas has its eye on will ever be seen.

Listen folks, I was born and raised burnt orange. But sometimes, this crap even amazes me! :eek2:

Let's see....$300 million in payments over 20 years, plus the exposure for your programs, plus the ability to showcase HS athletes on TV which will (eventually) be on cable and satellite) and stamp your brand all over them.

Good Lord, if I was A&M, I'd be looking for an out as well.

#153 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

OK, here's more fuel for the fire.

While the Big12/NCAA have pretty much put the kibosh on running live high school games on the channel, ESPN has announced that it plans to run highlights of high school games on a regular basis. Here's the article from today's San Antonio paper.

http://www.mysananto...all-2122892.php

In other words, they're going to showcase the top players as part of a newscast, so that the conference and/or the NCAA won't have a say in it. Basically, that's more of a showcase than the games ever would have been since only the recruits Texas has its eye on will ever be seen.

Listen folks, I was born and raised burnt orange. But sometimes, this crap even amazes me! :eek2:

Let's see....$300 million in payments over 20 years, plus the exposure for your programs, plus the ability to showcase HS athletes on TV which will (eventually) be on cable and satellite) and stamp your brand all over them.

Good Lord, if I was A&M, I'd be looking for an out as well.

If they didn't mention so and so player had verbaled to Texas, I don't see what the problem is with showing highlights.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#154 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

If they didn't mention so and so player had verbaled to Texas, I don't see what the problem is with showing highlights.

They can selectively show highlights of players that Texas is recruiting. On the Longhorn network. Pretty simple, really.

It is not the players that verbal that are the problem as much. It is the ones that have not.

#155 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

They can selectively show highlights of players that Texas is recruiting. On the Longhorn network. Pretty simple, really.

It is not the players that verbal that are the problem as much. It is the ones that have not.

The idea of high school games and highlights on any national level unnerves me. I'm sick of the spoiled rotten millionaires & billionaires argument in the NFL when you know good and well if it were you or me we'd try to get as much as we could and rightfully so. College players primarily play for one reason: to go to the NFL. They don't do it because they love the game like college football apologists have lazily argued for years. That's why they clamor for top programs that hog all the tv time; more exposure, better chances. Now high school is on ESPN?! Yeah, ego's and "I" mentality certainly wont be an issue there.

#156 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

The idea of high school games and highlights on any national level unnerves me. I'm sick of the spoiled rotten millionaires & billionaires argument in the NFL when you know good and well if it were you or me we'd try to get as much as we could and rightfully so. College players primarily play for one reason: to go to the NFL. They don't do it because they love the game like college football apologists have lazily argued for years. That's why they clamor for top programs that hog all the tv time; more exposure, better chances. Now high school is on ESPN?! Yeah, ego's and "I" mentality certainly wont be an issue there.

High school on ESPN.

Two Words.

LeBron James.

#157 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

I can't see where there would be any interest in it.

spoken like a true Sooner

#158 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

:D

spoken like a true Sooner

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#159 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

Frankly, I'd rather see entire games broadcast than highlights. The NCAA has just shot itself in the foot with this ruling. Before, entire teams would have been showcased. Now, we just have "hot" prospects. Yea, this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth as well. There's a big difference between a 20+ college player on TV and puffing up a 15 year old high school student.

Like many, many other things in this world it isn't good. It's profitable, but it isn't good.

#160 OFFLINE   oklahoma258

oklahoma258

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

Will Directv pick up the Longhorn Network by Friday when it launches? Also, will it be launched in HD? It seems like all the cable and satellite providers have waiting way too long to negotiate and we might not get to see the Rice game. Texas fans would go bonkers if they don't see that. Directv better hurry their a** up.
DIRECTV HD - ALL CHANNELS

40' Sony Bravia HDTV
32' VIZIO HDTV

HD SPORTS!! Oklahoma Sports mostly.
PGA Tour, NFL, NBA, CFB, CBB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...