Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

quick question about setting up a second DVR

whdvr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fumundachz

fumundachz

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

I have a SD DVR connected to a dual LNB dish. I want to add another SD DVR in another room upstairs. I know I would need a switch for this but I am not certain which one I would need. Also depending on the price of the switch and extra 50ft of cable (2x25ft runs) would it be more cost effective to pay Direct tv $50 to just install it.

I appreciate the help.

FuMuNdAChZ

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

Where are you getting the other DVR from?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   fumundachz

fumundachz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

either from amazon or direct tv I would prefer to get a used one from somewhere but I dont mind ordering a new one either.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

You might be able to get a SD-DVR from DirecTV for free or for $50. The normal price is $99. They will come out and perform the install, which would include installing the multi-switch and running two coax runs to the new room. The install is free in these cases.

If you order the SD-DVR from a retailer, you will probably pay at least $50 and you will be in the hook for the install (either by yourself or via a professional). In this case you would guarantee yourself a new receiver.

If you end up ordering from DirecTV you might get a new receiver or you might get a refurbished recevier. In either case (DirecTV or retailer), the receiver will be a lease and when you activate it you will have a new 2 year commitment.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   fumundachz

fumundachz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

I am mainly wonder which switch I would need so I can figure out the best route for me to take.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

Any 2x4, 2x8, 3x4, 3x8, 4x8, or 6x8 switch will work. Two inputs from the dish, four (or more) outputs to feed your receivers/DVRs. http://www.solidsign...c=Multiswitches has several that would work including the Eagle Aspen for $9.99.

If you anticipate that you would ever upgrade to HD, then you want to get the Zinwell WB68 which is backward compatible to what you need.

#7 OFFLINE   fumundachz

fumundachz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you!

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

If you anticipate that you would ever upgrade to HD, then you want to get the Zinwell WB68 which is backward compatible to what you need.

The cost to upgrade to HD (new multiswitch, dish, receiver, etc.) almost makes it worth it to be sentenced to DirecTV prison for 2 years (put up with a new 2 year commitment).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whdvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...